What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doust Retires at end of 2018 season

Old Timer

Coach
Disagree. I think the only reason he is in line is that he played for us. That's not to say that he isnt well credentialed, but more that he's an easy option for the club to chase. There would be better candidates out there.

In conclusion, IF this were to happen (and chances are its bollocks, the idiot media knowing our history with employing ex-players and putting 2 and 2 together to get 5) then it's a step in the right direction, but not far enough. As long as Michael f**king Macdonald doesnt get anywhere near the position.
The only way to know the real truth of the matter is to see the advertisement, the campaign for the position and in-turn the applicants cv's.
All I am saying is that True suggested that people were complaining about nepotism whilst thinking Coyne is OK where I am saying that Coyne actually has real credentials and could in fact do the job.
Maybe there are better applicants than Coyne and if so they should get the job and if he did get it over them, then it would in fact be nepotism.
However I am not willing to dismiss his candidature (if in fact he does apply) as pure nepotism.
Interesting anybody of Coyne's ilk would be taking a severe pay cut if this were the only job they had and like politicians some would say what is their motivation and scepticism occurs as a result of that,
Applying that process to this process it would have to be Coyne's love for the club and that should not necessarily be canned as nepotism.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
My comments re Mark are under the thread... seems we have too many threads on the same topic,

Changes underway - Doust Resigns
That thread isn't in this forum.

There have been just two threads on the same topic in this forum, and they were merged earlier in the week.

BennyV

Referee
The only way to know the real truth of the matter is to see the advertisement, the campaign for the position and in-turn the applicants cv's.
All I am saying is that True suggested that people were complaining about nepotism whilst thinking Coyne is OK where I am saying that Coyne actually has real credentials and could in fact do the job.
Maybe there are better applicants than Coyne and if so they should get the job and if he did get it over them, then it would in fact be nepotism.
However I am not willing to dismiss his candidature (if in fact he does apply) as pure nepotism.
Interesting anybody of Coyne's ilk would be taking a severe pay cut if this were the only job they had and like politicians some would say what is their motivation and scepticism occurs as a result of that,
Applying that process to this process it would have to be Coyne's love for the club and that should not necessarily be canned as nepotism.
Fair. In fact, as I mentioned, I dont actually think he is the front runner, I think the media is just aware of our history of employing old boys and they've put 2 and 2 together assuming that he's our man.
And I'm not 100% convinced about the size of the paycut TBH - I firmly believe that Doust was on a hugely exaggerated salary due to the position of him and his mates on the Board of Directors. No source, and not saying that Coyne (or the next CEO) would get the same salary, but just pure speculation.

Carlton

Juniors

Dont disagree with what you say OT but unfortunately given the clubs history if Coyne is appointed there will be a perception among a significant number of the stakeholders that it is nepotism at work. I am convinced that one of the "qualifications" needed for this role is that there are no connections to the old boys.

The club cannot just tell people things have changed, they need to unequivocally show it with their actions. If, one of the messages that you are trying to convey is the jobs for the boys has ended and we are running this club professionally then you need appoint a qualified non aligned CEO.

blacksafake

First Grade
"As long as Michael f**king Macdonald doesnt get anywhere near the position."

Pardon my ignorance but can anyone enlighten me on his involvement with the club & why is there so much angst against him.I know a lit &tle but obviously others know a hell of a lot more about his credentials & past.

True_Believer

Juniors
Dont disagree with what you say OT but unfortunately given the clubs history if Coyne is appointed there will be a perception among a significant number of the stakeholders that it is nepotism at work. I am convinced that one of the "qualifications" needed for this role is that there are no connections to the old boys.

The club cannot just tell people things have changed, they need to unequivocally show it with their actions. If, one of the messages that you are trying to convey is the jobs for the boys has ended and we are running this club professionally then you need appoint a qualified non aligned CEO.

The definition of nepotism is "the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs."

As you say Carlton, the club needs to be doing everything they can to dispel the "jobs for the boys" image that has permeated throughout the club over recent decades. Irrespective of the impression that he is qualified for the job, if Coyne is appointed there will still be lingering question marks over his appointment and his relationship to people in the club and how those relationships affect his leadership and whether they played a part in his appointment. Were there other applicants more qualified that were thrown out because Coyne is an old boy? Is he close to a couple of board members and their friendship swayed the decision? The recruitment process isn't going to be transparent so we'll never know and as you said, some stakeholders will still see this as nepotism.

Having said this, as others have indicated, the whole place needs a broom through it. To ensure none of this BS continues to happen, the whole board and club need a clean out to remove any chance of continued empire building and to afford the new CEO a fair chance at making a positive impact.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
The difference is he wouldn't get the job because of nepotism, he would get it because of his impeccable business credentials.
The people that you refer to as whinging about nepotism do so because of the lack of impeccable credentials of old boys given jobs so more than a substantial difference in respect of Coyne.
If you haven't already have a look at Coyne's credentials then have a look at Craig Young, Dean Young, Hornby, Price, Mc Gregor, Millward and even Johnstone and any others for that matter and its chalk and cheese.
Surely you are not suggesting we shouldn't consider him because he played for us?
Sorry Old Timer but I have the opposite view. The CEO is a very special position and so it needs to be put in the hands of a professional panel who has no club involvement. Let this panel select the very best person for the job and if that happens to be Coyne than I would support his appointment.

Surely, there must be a Board position, marketing position or a senior administrative position that can be thrown Coyne's way if he is not appointed CEO. He is in a fairly prominent position right now and maybe that is where he is most needed by the Club.

Right now would be the ideal time for the Club to be sold. The new owner could have a say in who occupies key positions and who his on the Board. More importantly the new owner could have a say with regards to the positon of head coach and his staff.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Sorry Old Timer but I have the opposite view. The CEO is a very special position and so it needs to be put in the hands of a professional panel who has no club involvement. Let this panel select the very best person for the job and if that happens to be Coyne than I would support his appointment.

Surely, there must be a Board position, marketing position or a senior administrative position that can be thrown Coyne's way if he is not appointed CEO. He is in a fairly prominent position right now and maybe that is where he is most needed by the Club.

Right now would be the ideal time for the Club to be sold. The new owner could have a sale in who occupies key positions and who his on the Board. More importantly the new owner could have a say with regards to the positon of head coach and his staff.
Possm
There is no sale at this time so you work with what you have and try to make the most of it.
Coyne's appointment (if it happened) would only enhance any prospective sale as compared to going forward with Doust.
If the club is privatised as is your wish, then you could still end up with a board room full of cronies just not necessarily ex St George cronies.
For some reason people have it in their head that nepotism only works within our club, FFS it is everywhere in business and there is no guarantee you won't see it again regardless of who owns us.
For the record there is no self respecting board anywhere that is going to let the control of who comes into the board room go to outsiders.
They may very well look like it is being done externally but that will not be that fac
That is why you have coups like what happened at Souths all those years ago, Parramatta recently and what is presently happening at the Dogs.

Carlton

Juniors
Possm
There is no sale at this time so you work with what you have and try to make the most of it.
Coyne's appointment (if it happened) would only enhance any prospective sale as compared to going forward with Doust.
If the club is privatised as is your wish, then you could still end up with a board room full of cronies just not necessarily ex St George cronies.
For some reason people have it in their head that nepotism only works within our club, FFS it is everywhere in business and there is no guarantee you won't see it again regardless of who owns us.
For the record there is no self respecting board anywhere that is going to let the control of who comes into the board room go to outsiders.
They may very well look like it is being done externally but that will not be that fac
That is why you have coups like what happened at Souths all those years ago, Parramatta recently and what is presently happening at the Dogs.

Very accurate OT, private ownership may be good but it also may be bad, there are no guarantees that what you end up with is any better than what you already had. The biggest problem with private ownership is once its gone, its gone.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Question - if an external is brought in to be the boss does he have to be on the board of one of the leagues clubs first?

Are we limited to an internal appointment based on the multi tiered leagues club feed the football club structures?

grouch

First Grade
"As long as Michael f**king Macdonald doesnt get anywhere near the position."

Pardon my ignorance but can anyone enlighten me on his involvement with the club & why is there so much angst against him.I know a lit &tle but obviously others know a hell of a lot more about his credentials & past.
He's the current Chief Operating Officer, and has been for years and years. Possibly a decade almost? He's a mini Doust in several ways and is, for this reason, a scary choice for the CEO job.

He has a similar penchant for corporate jargon-speak, he has been known to make ludicrous promises that turn out to be total falsehoods (as part of his defence of the Right Game Right Venue fiasco he is quoted as "projecting" the clubs Red V membership would rise to 40,000 in 5 years time - that was in 2013). In addition to this, as COO, essentially the day-to-day running of the joint is under his remit, and it has been ... not good, to put it lightly. Essentially the ongoing business of keeping the joint running falls to him, and we haven't exactly flourished in that area - needing NRL loans, cash incentives from ANZ Stadium and the like just to keep the lights on.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If (ah that magic word again) Coyne does apply and does get the job how can that be interpreted as "jobs for the boys"? I mean like hes not unemployed looking for work. And just because he played for us is irrelavent in the context of his external business experience.
If he is the best candidate then so be it, if hes not then lets hope its someone of the highest order.

Carlton

Juniors
If (ah that magic word again) Coyne does apply and does get the job how can that be interpreted as "jobs for the boys"? I mean like hes not unemployed looking for work. And just because he played for us is irrelavent in the context of his external business experience.
If he is the best candidate then so be it, if hes not then lets hope its someone of the highest order.

It will be seen as jobs for the boys by some people as he was an ex player and has been involved in the running of the club (via his committee). Its not about whether he is a well qualified candidate, its about whether stakeholders will see the appointment as objective or just another move to look after the boys club. I believe that the best candidate will be qualified to do the job, have an impeccable business and sports administration record and be an outsider.

PS: Mark Coyne was one of my favourite players.

Coffs dragon

Bench
He's the current Chief Operating Officer, and has been for years and years. Possibly a decade almost? He's a mini Doust in several ways and is, for this reason, a scary choice for the CEO job.

He has a similar penchant for corporate jargon-speak, he has been known to make ludicrous promises that turn out to be total falsehoods (as part of his defence of the Right Game Right Venue fiasco he is quoted as "projecting" the clubs Red V membership would rise to 40,000 in 5 years time - that was in 2013). In addition to this, as COO, essentially the day-to-day running of the joint is under his remit, and it has been ... not good, to put it lightly. Essentially the ongoing business of keeping the joint running falls to him, and we haven't exactly flourished in that area - needing NRL loans, cash incentives from ANZ Stadium and the like just to keep the lights on.
I did hear this Michael MacDonald bloke is simply a Doust puppet. If he gets the CEO appointment then the song he wrote is completely true...IMG_0174.JPG

Overseas dragon

Juniors
It will be seen as jobs for the boys by some people as he was an ex player and has been involved in the running of the club (via his committee). Its not about whether he is a well qualified candidate, its about whether stakeholders will see the appointment as objective or just another move to look after the boys club. I believe that the best candidate will be qualified to do the job, have an impeccable business and sports administration record and be an outsider.

PS: Mark Coyne was one of my favourite players.
Also one of my favourite players. Not hard to assume that he is a massive upgrade .....:grinning:

Carlton

Juniors
Also one of my favourite players. Not hard to assume that he is a massive upgrade .....:grinning:

Couldn't agree more but I think the club needs more than just an upgrade on Doust. It needs to stand up and say to fans/NRL/sponsors/investors/players/media etc that they are making genuine changes to address the jobs for the boys mentality that has existed for so long. No matter how much I like Coyne he is not far enough removed from the past to convince these stakeholders that things have really changed. This has nothing to do with his abilities/integrity, it is all about how it looks, right or wrong.

possm

Coach
Very accurate OT, private ownership may be good but it also may be bad, there are no guarantees that what you end up with is any better than what you already had. The biggest problem with private ownership is once its gone, its gone.
The Dragons Board do not own the Club and is not held accountable for loss in profit or loss in income. Poor results do not come out of their salaries/directors fees.

Whereas a new private owner will be very interested in ensuring our Club is successful on-field and profitable off-field. All we need is a new owner and a big broom.

Latest posts