What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Mundine

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
he should have got a penalty in that gf, he only spilled the ball after he got hit high by a Melbourne flog.
as for 'hiding behind his muslim faith' I don't get that comment at all, he is Muslim and Muslims believe in homosexuality being a sin.

After hearing the accusations that Mundine was hit high in the aforementioned incident, I had several looks to see if this were true.

Sorry, but Mundine wasn't tackled illegally, and should've passed to Darren Tracey for a match defining try.

However, the result of the 1999 grand final wasn't predicated by this. Rather, it was ex Rupert Murdoch employee, Bill Harrigan (and to a marginally less extent, Chris Ward), who was the main antagonist in what I believe was one of the first match 'fixed' major sporting events in Australia.

Dragsters

First Grade
Well that will do me - the guy who asks the question is a bigger clown than the guy who answered it with his disgusting and moronic support for a terrorist attack.

I like Wil Anderson’s latest comment on Mundine - “Mundine says watching gay people on TV might turn people gay. Glad I didn’t watch any of him on TV or I might have turned into a homophobic dickhead”

No doubt that mundines response was inflamatory, insensitive, ill-timed and small minded but Wilkins was the sensationalist wanker that lit the fuse.

And yes, Will Anderson is as poignant as ever...

possm

Coach
I used to be a big Mundine fan when he played for the Dragons and chose to ignore some of his outbursts in his early boxing career. But these days I see him as an embarrassment to himself and his country. I just wish he would shut up, retire from public life and go fishing.

TruSaint

Referee
After hearing the accusations that Mundine was hit high in the aforementioned incident, I had several looks to see if this were true.

Sorry, but Mundine wasn't tackled illegally, and should've passed to Darren Tracey for a match defining try.

However, the result of the 1999 grand final wasn't predicated by this. Rather, it was ex Rupert Murdoch employee, Bill Harrigan (and to a marginally less extent, Chris Ward), who was the main antagonist in what I believe was one of the first match 'fixed' major sporting events in Australia.

Putting aside my utter disappointment with Choc in recent years, lets not forget that whilst that moment you mention is relevant in the scheme of the 99 GF, it was Mundine's magical 40 minutes against the Sharks that got us to the GF.

40 minutes of pure genius and talent. Yes some arrogance, and showmanship. But that second half is one of the best I have seen live.

Like i said, .. gifted athlete, provided me with many memories wearing the Red V, but regrettably, by his own choice, that will not be his legacy. Free speech is fine, but he has a chip in his shoulder and seems to think " words dont matter" .. They do Choc.

Gareth67

First Grade
I couldn’t agree more. He’s a self-anointed spokesman for indigenous Australians, always wanking on about our horrible, oppressive white culture, and yet he couldn’t last two weeks in the bush. Now he’s exposed himself as the worst kind of homophobe as well as a rabid racist. What a plonker.

Do you think that both he and the other half-wit Tomic could be distantly related , sort of long lost twin cousins ? ?

SaintPauli

Juniors
The good news is Mundine is aging and his boxing career will come to an end, if not already. He will disappear into insignificance sooner than later as all contraversial figures do. Only the media will exploit his comments for attention. So the best we could all do is ignore him and not give him any time of day.

JDHD

Juniors

How was it fixed? Ainscough took Smith high w/o the ball in the ingoal, it was a classic penalty try.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Footnote - He lost me the day the of 911 with his interview with a dumbfounded interviewer, Richard Wilkins.
I saw it live at the time and it was one of worst interviews I've ever seen.

Firstly, they had several technical issues. So much so that most interviews would been abandoned, but they persisted because Channel 9 knew there was a big tabloid reward coming up.

Secondly, Mundine basically said that the USA brought it upon themselves. Yes, he said it poorly and too soon after the event. However, the view (that US foreign policy should take some of the blame) has been said by others since but in a more articulate manner than Mundine could muster.

Thirdly, the outrage that followed far outweighed any perceived meaning behind the comments. We are talking about racism, hate speech and death threats... and worst. I received 100s of emails after that 'interview' simply because I had a fan website showing Anthony Mundine's sporting achievements. I was told by many to remove the website or face the consequences, it was far more nuttier than anything Mundine could say. FTR, I ignored it for it was: the ravings of lunatics.

And finally, something that is often forgotten, Mundine also apologised for his comments. His apology was accepted by those in attendance, including a New Yorker, former soldier and US war veteran.

Soes... I think to meself, if those people can forgive him, then what's the big deal?

Anyhow, ever since that interview and the subsequent fallout, I decided that people getting upset about Mundine is more of a pastime than anything else. For some reason, Mundine talks some bullshit (usually for the media) and the level of outage is 10x what it would be if someone else said it.

As for whatever he said about gays, let us all celebrate the reaction. Personally, I think it's great that so many people have emerged as activists for equal rights.

giboz71

First Grade
For some reason, Mundine seems to be the poster child for the professionally outraged. There are far worse and more dangerous people than Anthony Mundine. One got elected president FFS.

Yes he’s a dickhead and clearly not the smartest tool in the shed and talks a lot of shit which I don’t agree with. But it doesn’t change the fact he is one of my favourite all time dragons who gave me countless memories when I watched him play. Compared to some of the dolts that have donned our colours the last few years, we can only hope we have a player like him again.

I ignore plenty of things he says and yes it’s clearly inflammatory, but as I said, he’s not the first dickhead to play NRL footy.

Dragsters

First Grade
I saw it live at the time and it was one of worst interviews I've ever seen.

Firstly, they had several technical issues. So much so that most interviews would been abandoned, but they persisted because Channel 9 knew there was a big tabloid reward coming up.

Secondly, Mundine basically said that the USA brought it upon themselves. Yes, he said it poorly and too soon after the event. However, the view (that US foreign policy should take some of the blame) has been said by others since but in a more articulate manner than Mundine could muster.

Thirdly, the outrage that followed far outweighed any perceived meaning behind the comments. We are talking about racism, hate speech and death threats... and worst. I received 100s of emails after that 'interview' simply because I had a fan website showing Anthony Mundine's sporting achievements. I was told by many to remove the website or face the consequences, it was far more nuttier than anything Mundine could say. FTR, I ignored it for it was: the ravings of lunatics.

And finally, something that is often forgotten, Mundine also apologised for his comments. His apology was accepted by those in attendance, including a New Yorker, former soldier and US war veteran.

Soes... I think to meself, if those people can forgive him, then what's the big deal?

Anyhow, ever since that interview and the subsequent fallout, I decided that people getting upset about Mundine is more of a pastime than anything else. For some reason, Mundine talks some bullshit (usually for the media) and the level of outage is 10x what it would be if someone else said it.

As for whatever he said about gays, let us all celebrate the reaction. Personally, I think it's great that so many people have emerged as activists for equal rights.

I could not agree more Willow.

Well said...

ouryear

Juniors
For some reason, Mundine seems to be the poster child for the professionally outraged. There are far worse and more dangerous people than Anthony Mundine. One got elected president FFS.

Yes he’s a dickhead and clearly not the smartest tool in the shed and talks a lot of shit which I don’t agree with. But it doesn’t change the fact he is one of my favourite all time dragons who gave me countless memories when I watched him play. Compared to some of the dolts that have donned our colours the last few years, we can only hope we have a player like him again.

I ignore plenty of things he says and yes it’s clearly inflammatory, but as I said, he’s not the first dickhead to play NRL footy.

Agree 100 per cent.
Also amazing that 74% of Americans blame their own govt for 911 happening, through poor American foreign policy, and other conspiracy theories.

Many people far far worse than Choc, including Trump, Philippines president, Russian president, Kim Jong, Chinese leaders, Syrian, in fact almost every leader across the planet are tools, with some exceptions.

And then there is choc.

So maybe we should save our rants for people who really screw the world, being most world leaders!

kit66

Bench
I know this is slightly OT, but I had to have a short rant.

Article - http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...t/news-story/0d52835ebb8b6281dbe6295f34ec3572

Mundine is pure scum, plain and simple. A vile, low-life, uneducated scumbag.
He is using the Muslim religion to hide behind his own disgraceful, harmful opinions. It's disgusting. Anybody who supports this flog needs to have a serious re-think about their life choices.

The club and its supporters should abandon any past, present and future links with this despicable human being.

I can't see any "rants" in that link, it's a 36 second video of nothing. Am I missing something. Mundine's a dickhead for sure but if you think Murdoch's News.com is the right place to get your information or any truth from then you seriously need to question your life choices.

Mundine has a right to his opinion same as anyone but to sell more newspapers some sections of the media turn his "opinion" into a "rant". I'm only surprised it wasn't "an unhinged rant" or a "bizarre rant", whatever gets your blood flowing.
He's a dickhead, ignore the f**ker but there's no need to jump online to spread some shallow media-driven hatred you found on what is basically an advertising platform - click bait, sell shit.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I can't see any "rants" in that link, it's a 36 second video of nothing. Am I missing something. Mundine's a dickhead for sure but if you think Murdoch's News.com is the right place to get your information or any truth from then you seriously need to question your life choices.

Mundine has a right to his opinion same as anyone but to sell more newspapers some sections of the media turn his "opinion" into a "rant". I'm only surprised it wasn't "an unhinged rant" or a "bizarre rant", whatever gets your blood flowing.
He's a dickhead, ignore the f**ker but there's no need to jump online to spread some shallow media-driven hatred you found on what is basically an advertising platform - click bait, sell shit.

I think you're missing the video where Mundine calls for capital punishment against homosexuals to "stop it from happening".

This article has been edited since it was originally published. The video link was an interview with Mundine himself saying those exact words.

Fully understand what you're saying, Murdoch is an evil old merkin, but these are genuinely Mundine's beliefs. I don't think this should be a debate about validity of news sources when he is on camera spouting these disgusting beliefs, then hiding behind Aboriginal culture to justify it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
How was it fixed? Ainscough took Smith high w/o the ball in the ingoal, it was a classic penalty try.
I don't think many are disputing the penalty try, that was just the icing on the cake. Perfect end for Harrigan.

I look at the entire second half: Wishart having his head almost taken off by a Melbourne defender (no penalty), a forward pass try to Melbourne, and the way that Nikau kept interfering in the play-the-ball - how he wasn't penalised defies belief. That's just a few.

The Melbourne team that came out in the second half was a different team to the first half - on a number of levels. Harrigan gave them a bucket load of free reign, and Melbourne knew it.

TruSaint

Referee
I think @TomRedRiver was referring to this comment.

Mundine, a practising Muslim, doubled down on his beliefs on homosexuality suggesting it was wrong and that if there was a harsh penalty for it, such as capital punishment then people might reconsider.

Six predominantly Muslim countries — including Iran and Saudi Arabia — retain the death penalty for homosexuality

“If we were to live in a society, just like in Aboriginal culture, that homosexuality is forbidden and you do it and the consequences are capital punishment or death, you think you are going to do it? Or think twice about doing it?”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...s/news-story/304d1660d20b20106b7501461f9c1128

possm

Coach
I think @TomRedRiver was referring to this comment.

Mundine, a practising Muslim, doubled down on his beliefs on homosexuality suggesting it was wrong and that if there was a harsh penalty for it, such as capital punishment then people might reconsider.

Six predominantly Muslim countries — including Iran and Saudi Arabia — retain the death penalty for homosexuality

“If we were to live in a society, just like in Aboriginal culture, that homosexuality is forbidden and you do it and the consequences are capital punishment or death, you think you are going to do it? Or think twice about doing it?”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...s/news-story/304d1660d20b20106b7501461f9c1128
I'd say he should keep his beliefs to himself; I have no interest in becoming a Muslim.