What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2018: Ben Hunt reveals his new playing style at the Dragons
Dragons
  • February 12, 2018 10:04pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
MTIyMjAxODEyfGN4by5hfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxL2JjY2RmZDk3YTIxNmFlOTViNDJmNWY4YTA1YjRhYjg5fDEyMjIwMTgxMg==

Dragons signing Ben Hunt at WIN Stadium. Picture: Dylan RobinsonSource: News Corp Australia
ST GEORGE Illawarra’s marquee signing Ben Hunt has revealed the style of play Dragons coach Paul McGregor would like him to adopt at his new club in 2018.
After spending his whole career to date with Brisbane, Hunt has now arrived at the Red V on a six-year, multimillion-dollar deal.

The pressure will no doubt be on Hunt to help the club return to finals football, but he’s been given a plan from McGregor to help him do it alongside halves partner Gareth Widdop.

MTIyMjAxODEyfGN4by5hfGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmZveHNwb3J0cy5jb20uYXUvcG1kL2ltYWdlcy8yMDE4LzAyLzEyLzY2NDYyNl82NDB4MzYwX2xhcmdlXzIwMTgwMjEyMjAzODI0LmpwZ3wxMjIyMDE4MTI=

Hunt's new style in Red V

1:15
“He wants me to be playing more first receiver and getting my hands on the ball a lot earlier,” Hunt told NRL 360.

“He feels, and I agree with him, that one of my strengths is running the ball.

“He wants me getting it straight from the dummy half, having runners inside and outside and really threatening the line.”

When asked whether he wasn’t allowed to be “on the ball” at the Broncos, Hunt replied: “Not necessarily not allowed, it was just the style of football, I guess.

“We had some pretty good mobile forwards up there that like to play with the ball a bit and that was just how we fell into playing.

“Coming down here, one of the first things Mary said was that he wants me to get up on the ball, get to first receiver and get the forwards inside, outside me rather than playing off them all the time.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=ac265c2a717111730ea1d3ed3e3c5965-1518438147

Brutalitops

Juniors
If McGregor has ANY chance of growing into a respectable coach in the future, how he utilises Ben Hunt will surely be what either makes or breaks this process. He has a world class halves pairing, one of the best forwards packs in league and a fair draw. This is the year Mary. Show us what you got for one last time or it's over for you

TomRedVRiver

Bench
It genuinely worries me that every year, we advertise our game plans for all other clubs to look at before the start of the season...

Agree, but it's all about execution. It's one thing to know it's coming, but it's another thing to be able to stop it.
If you'll remember in 2009/10, our attacking plays were pretty much the same... Hornby to Soward, Soward to Boyd, Boyd to Cooper, or cut out Cooper to Morris. It was the same sweeping play every time, and every side knew that it was coming... But it was so hard to stop because it was executed well.
Hopefully that's where Hunt/Widdop will combine to improve the side, because if we learn to execute well, we'll be up there amongst the top 4.

hazzbeen

Bench
It genuinely worries me that every year, we advertise our game plans for all other clubs to look at before the start of the season...
Benny this is so true . We find it hard enough to win games never mind telling everyone how we are going to play .....

BennyV

Referee
Agree, but it's all about execution. It's one thing to know it's coming, but it's another thing to be able to stop it.
If you'll remember in 2009/10, our attacking plays were pretty much the same... Hornby to Soward, Soward to Boyd, Boyd to Cooper, or cut out Cooper to Morris. It was the same sweeping play every time, and every side knew that it was coming... But it was so hard to stop because it was executed well.
Hopefully that's where Hunt/Widdop will combine to improve the side, because if we learn to execute well, we'll be up there amongst the top 4.
That was a play - 1 specific play that we executed with perfection, but it wasn’t our only play. The reason is worked so well was the threat of Ben Creagh out the front and Gasnier/Soward on the right. It was difficult to adapt instantaneously to that play when there was a lot happening elsewhere.

Different story when it’s a game plan, because the opposition game plan can be prepared to nullify. For example, last year we relied on forward power and offloads to score points, so the opposition figures out to compress the defence and stop the offloads would nullify the game - sure, we still came up with a few points but for the most part, that was the blueprint for winning.

Right now, there seems to be an obvious plan to beat us - compress defence, wrap up the forwards, rush Hunt whenever he’s at first receiver. That nullifies our Plan A and Plan B.

Crush

Coach
That was a play - 1 specific play that we executed with perfection, but it wasn’t our only play. The reason is worked so well was the threat of Ben Creagh out the front and Gasnier/Soward on the right. It was difficult to adapt instantaneously to that play when there was a lot happening elsewhere.

Different story when it’s a game plan, because the opposition game plan can be prepared to nullify. For example, last year we relied on forward power and offloads to score points, so the opposition figures out to compress the defence and stop the offloads would nullify the game - sure, we still came up with a few points but for the most part, that was the blueprint for winning.

Right now, there seems to be an obvious plan to beat us - compress defence, wrap up the forwards, rush Hunt whenever he’s at first receiver. That nullifies our Plan A and Plan B.
So you're saying we are doomed benny?

Belta

Juniors
I think it can only be good for Hunt to get early ball. He's displayed some good attacking skills and good vision in the past, but yeah I to am concerned over telegraphing our game plans. Halves seem to be more and more targets for 'Scud Missiles' ... I do hope McInnes and Widdop do deflect some of the heat. Mcinnes in particular can't just be a tackling machine, he needs to really develop the vision to know when to pass, when to take the line on himself and even do a few kicks. As mentioned we have the players to execute, we have plenty of ball playing forwards with JDB, Graham and hopefully a very clever and speedy fullback sniffing around the ball, not too mention the attacking abilities of Vaughan, and off loads from Ah Mau. If we can get it all together, and minimise errors I feel Hunt and Widdop have the vision to get the job done this year, can't be all Hunt though, just one cog in the wheel

LINESPEED

Juniors

Yeah now teams just have to hammer Benny & plan B's fu*ked.
So Graham must be plan C
Allgood plan D
Nichols plan E
Latimore plan F

FMD

I thought plans were the coach's gig?
Guess not in a low IQ environment

Belta

Juniors
Agree with Watatank about options. I think for Benny Boy to be effective in his game management he needs those options available, and if they are, then he decides what's best. Its the acid test, to implement the right plays throughout the game, which at times should go against the current structured game plan, eg early kick, switch of play etc. IMO if done well then the opposition ain't knowing what's goin on. Hopefully that way our plans and also our 'Steve Austin' don't get f$&@d up.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
We payed a lot of money for Hunt to guide our team around the park. He should be allowed to roam around where ever he likes to find weaknesses in the opponents defence.
Well obviously at first receiver he will be playing both sides of the field there's hope yet for MARY....:grin::grin::grin:

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Yes exactly and I'm sure the power game will be used much less by HUNT he likes to use his backline a lot hopefully if McDonald is out there he will certainly see more ball ....whether he uses it that's another question to be answered

BennyV

Referee
So you're saying we are doomed benny?
Been saying that for months!
I cant see us getting anywhere above 8th. 7th if we are just crazy lucky with injuries and coming up against teams who've sustained heavy injuries. And that's well below par with our squad, yet it will be enough for McMoron to beat his chest and claim success.

Latest posts