What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
84 I think you missed the gist of the article, our huge fiscal loss. Parra RLC cannot keep affording to fork out $10-12m to the footy club as it has big expansion plans of its own and needs the money to pay off the loans. One day, and soon I'd suggest, the gravy train will cease so we need value for money. Someone will come in and reduce expenses to the bone and where the return is not commensurate with the cost it'll be scrapped or cost greatly reduced.
Well as fans of the footy club we can only hope we win a premiership or two before then.

84 Baby

Referee
84 I think you missed the gist of the article, our huge fiscal loss. Parra RLC cannot keep affording to fork out $10-12m to the footy club as it has big expansion plans of its own and needs the money to pay off the loans. One day, and soon I'd suggest, the gravy train will cease so we need value for money. Someone will come in and reduce expenses to the bone and where the return is not commensurate with the cost it'll be scrapped or cost greatly reduced.
Do you think completely cutting off juniors will stop the club hemorrhaging cash?
Or do you think we won't lose any juniors if we stop spending money on them?

Forty20

First Grade
24gad6.jpg

Glenneel

Bench
So, do you think that all revenues that result (directly or indirectly) from having a team in the NRL are included in the calculation of that loss? There are very obvious reasons why the subsidy to the PNRL is larger at the moment (we just played a season without our real home ground). That is going to change.
All I know is Max Donnelly has already asked the footy club to reduce costs and regardless NO club can keep forking out $10m a year to a loss making enterprise especially if they have expansion plans. Eventually Max will step in and force cost saving on them, but I'd like to know what they are spending all the money on. They must be spending at least $12m over and above the salary cap before the other receipts offset some of their coasts.

Glenneel

Bench
Do you think completely cutting off juniors will stop the club hemorrhaging cash?
Or do you think we won't lose any juniors if we stop spending money on them?
I'm talking about value for money. If we're spending $2m a year on juniors and only 1 makes their debut every 2 or 3 years then we'd be better off spending on established stars, don't you think?

84 Baby

Referee
I'm talking about value for money. If we're spending $2m a year on juniors and only 1 makes their debut every 2 or 3 years then we'd be better off spending on established stars, don't you think?
You can't transfer that $2m into the 1st grade cap... other then developing juniors to take up places in the squad. And if all your using that $2m to be "established" junior stars, you're going to be spending the same amount of money for at best the same net result. In fact you could probably reduce spending on juniors, ignore poaching "established" stars and some years come out with an even better net result.
And weren't you whinging that we were losing superstar juniors because we couldn't identify the talented ones? How are we going to be better identifying talented players from other clubs that we aren't seeing at training every week? Plus you start throwing money at "established' stars and see how quickly those unidentified talents jump clubs

hineyrulz

Post Whore
All I know is Max Donnelly has already asked the footy club to reduce costs and regardless NO club can keep forking out $10m a year to a loss making enterprise especially if they have expansion plans. Eventually Max will step in and force cost saving on them, but I'd like to know what they are spending all the money on. They must be spending at least $12m over and above the salary cap before the other receipts offset some of their coasts.
They are capping spending.

It’s being set at 5.7m dollars.

I told you this yesterday but instead have another whinge.

Forty20

First Grade
In regards to the football operations cap, it is also a soft cap as far as I know. Clubs are allowed to exceed the limit but they would essentially be 'taxed' on excess spending over the cap.

We will look to extract more efficiency out of our footy expenses and bring down spending (and/or increase football operations revenue) but all clubs are trying to extract every advantage they can in a hugely competitive and relatively small market. With the Leagues Club backing us, this current period of large expenditure on the football side isn't a huge concern but it does need to be tidied up for sure.

84 Baby

Referee
In regards to the football operations cap, it is also a soft cap as far as I know. Clubs are allowed to exceed the limit but they would essentially be 'taxed' on excess spending over the cap.

We will look to extract more efficiency out of our footy expenses and bring down spending (and/or increase football operations revenue) but all clubs are trying to extract every advantage they can in a hugely competitive and relatively small market. With the Leagues Club backing us, this current period of large expenditure on the football side isn't a huge concern but it does need to be tidied up for sure.
I reckon most of it is simply down to the club capping, so may as well spend up big now, and the internal strife we've had, people leaving club can make costs jump

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It depends if we're trying to spend as little as possible or to maximise the talent we can fit under the cap. They aren't the same thing.

strider

Post Whore

How the f**k can the NRL have any remotely ludicrus chance of policing an nrl clubs football spending .... they cant f**kin manage jack ffs

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
You would expect spending to increase after the shit storm we have been through, if you dont spend you stay at the wrong end of the ladder and I'm not just talking salary cap spending, we need to invest in the right staff/people. amenities etc. We want to attract players.

As we climb the ladder we gain a winning culture which pays its way in attendances, memberships, merchandises etc.

I think what we are going through is normal for a team with ambition, if we were not spending I would be a bit disappointed.

Forty20

First Grade
I reckon most of it is simply down to the club capping, so may as well spend up big now, and the internal strife we've had, people leaving club can make costs jump

The turbulent era(s) the Eels have emerged from definitely played a part in it all. Constantly rotating and paying out staff, losing sponsorships and cleaning up the rot and actually getting the joint up to standard as a competitive NRL franchise have all played significant parts in our big spending.

How the f**k can the NRL have any remotely ludicrus chance of policing an nrl clubs football spending .... they cant f**kin manage jack ffs

I am in complete agreement as far as the absurdity of it all mate. Still, the clubs did agree to it all.

Last edited: