What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Captain

Belly007

Juniors
It isn’t one player’s team. It’s Pearce’s in the sense that he’s the only established player in the spine and will therefore be making most of the playmaking calls but I don’t see why that would make him entitled to captaincy. He’d make sense as captain for the reasons above but I don’t think Brown wants us to get back to a point where we were a one man team.
Like I said, that was a big "IF' that was how Nathan Brown sold the club to Pearce, which is my understanding (which could be wrong). As the chief playmaker for the Knights, he will be making most of the decisions on-field anyway, so IMO....that makes Pearce almost the right person to lead the club on-field......if only it was that simple. As we are all aware, the captain is far more than just our on field general. We want someone that leads by example off-field as well.

Knight76

Juniors
Surely it has to be Pearce. He was sold on the fact he would be able to take control of the club, be the man.

You don't lure him here on that promise then make someone else captain.

Swarzey

Bench
Firstly, that's a really solid leadership squad. Loved Ryan's piece about it today and how they all have a different reason to be captain, to influence the club etc.

Secondly, if we're talking about one standout captain, my pick would be Buhrer. If Sione wasn't so long, then it would be him. I think coming out of the last three years, the captain needs to understand what the club endured at the low points and while Buhrer wasn't only here for a third of it, it's still a third more than the new blokes. Buhrer is a class act in every aspect of rugby league, a complete professional and represented the club tremendously off the field - after games, at training, at formal events etc. He's the kind of player that everyone should aspire to be and that should be what other players look towards whether they're young or even if they're vets.

But, thirdly, with all that said, my vote would be for a co-captaincy between Buhrer and Pearce. Pearce is vital to the progression of our spine and the club's on field success, it makes sense to give him the captaincy given that level of importance but I don't think he's as good as a representative for the club as Buhrer which, from above, is what I personally want to see from the club captain. Both are 28, both are in the prime years of their careers, both offer something different to the club but both are capable of being perhaps more influential figures than anyone beforehand and shape the club on and off the field for years to come.

Burwood

Bench
It hasn’t really been mentioned anywhere so far, but I think one of the biggest things about the selection needs to be their onfield temperament and rapport with the whistle blowers. Bit of a cross between nice-guy Sione and sook Gidley (not sure if that’s the right word but it’s how he often came across when talking to the refs when things weren’t going the team’s way).

Because of how Brown has gone with a leadership group, whichever players miss out will still have a massive role both on and off the field- I can’t see it diminishing their overall impact on the team. Guerra will still shout at players about their body language, Ross will still be leading team bonding etc.

I think we’ll see some sort of combination similar to Johns and Peden all those years ago. Pearce the onfield captain, and Buhrer the “club captain”.

slotmachine

First Grade
from the article is sounds like pearce might not necessarily want the added burden of captaincy.

Leadership is a big reason why I'm here but the club has great guys in those [captaincy] roles

Noname36

First Grade
I read an article yesterday that said that Brown has challenged each of the 7 members of the leadership team (who were elected by the players apparently) to prove to him that they deserve the captaincy.

So it sounds like whoever gets it will be thoroughly deserved having been elected first by their teammates and then proving it to the coach.

I suppose we’re also sitting here making assumptions and debating who would be the best option but we’re not privy to most of the off field dynamics at training, events, etc.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Agreed. Also if the leadership team does a good job it doesnt matter who holds the captains armband. A unified team behind whoever is chosen with Pearce running the play will work.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
My pick would be Buhrer mainly because by all reports he's a total professional and a clean-skin both on and off the field, seems like a great role model for the younger guys. In addition to that he's been here an extra year longer than Guerra and Pearce and would have a bit more rapport with the guys who were here last year.

Also Buhrer is much less likely to be targeted by the media if things aren't going well. If we have a few bad games to start the season (which is definitely a possibility given all the new personnel in the team) I wouldn't want to see Pearce sitting in the press conference getting hammered by the reporters about his performance, considering he is already the media whipping boy every May - July because of what normally happens to NSW in Origin I would rather take the pressure off him a bit and let him focus on doing the right stuff at training and on the field rather than worrying about facing the media all the time.

PhilGould

Bench
The team photos were taken today, and Sione & Buhrer were the ones sitting either side of Browny, for what that's worth.

Noname36

First Grade
The team photos were taken today, and Sione & Buhrer were the ones sitting either side of Browny, for what that's worth.

Yeah I was coming in to say the same thing.

Looks like the captains might be staying as is which Pearce already alluded to.

I’m fine with that. I do think Sione is a bit young but he’s not the sole captain and could be relied on with it last year. Also doesn’t give Pearce additional pressure when he’s already going to be running the plays. Having a back + a forward also means one of them will always be on the park (injuries aside of course).

Glendale

Juniors
Sione ran the team out today. So I guess that means that the captains will stay the way they were. In many respects I think that’s the right call.

I was one of the ones who were calling for Sione to remain in the back row however seeing him out there tonight kinda made me change my mind. It wasn’t a great performance by any means but it was good to see him not have to grind through a game in the forwards trying not to get a concussion, he is too classy of a player to be restricted to that role.

Noname36

First Grade
My only concern is that after the trial game, as much as I love Buhrer, I’m not 100% sure he fits into our best team...and that being the case I don’t think lumping sole captaincy on Sione when he’s still so young and working on his own game is the right way to go either.

It will be interesting to see who makes room. I really like Buhrer’s attitude and work ethic. Every side should have one...problem is most squads have one of him in the side and he’s balanced out by a lot of big boppers around him.

macavity

Referee
My only concern is that after the trial game, as much as I love Buhrer, I’m not 100% sure he fits into our best team...and that being the case I don’t think lumping sole captaincy on Sione when he’s still so young and working on his own game is the right way to go either.

It will be interesting to see who makes room. I really like Buhrer’s attitude and work ethic. Every side should have one...problem is most squads have one of him in the side and he’s balanced out by a lot of big boppers around him.

Do you pick Buhrer over Guerra, Fitz, Jafiti, Ese'Ese, Barnett, Heighnington?

I would have him on the bench as backrow/hooker cover and leave Griffin out, but Brown obviously thinks Griffin is our starting 9 and doesn't rate Buhrer as a 9.

We carry three of Levi / Griffin / Buhrer we are going to lose the middle every game.

Noname36

First Grade
Do you pick Buhrer over Guerra, Fitz, Jafiti, Ese'Ese, Barnett, Heighnington?

I would have him on the bench as backrow/hooker cover and leave Griffin out, but Brown obviously thinks Griffin is our starting 9 and doesn't rate Buhrer as a 9.

We carry three of Levi / Griffin / Buhrer we are going to lose the middle every game.

Ability wise I’d have him over Heighington and occasionally Fitz but in all honesty I don’t think we can carry a squad with all of Buhrer, Levi, Griffin, Watson, Ross, Ponga, etc., we’ll just get run over the top of. We could get away with it if we had a couple of big boppers up front dominating the opposition but we’re already short a prop or two as it is. And of all of those smaller blokes Buhrer or Griffin would have to be first to go (I rate Levi over Griffin personally).

Latest posts