What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

No I'm talking facts and figures and not looking at football costs thru rose coloured glasses. If you think the club can still spend these amounts forever you're mistaken. Eventually something has to give particularly as the club has $100m expansion plans. The cost of servicing that loan is huge and eventually interest rates will rise. I used to be a financial manager of a club and when interest rates rise clubs revenues suffer as families have less disposal income.

How do you know what the contribution of football to our bottom line is? I don't disagree with your statements about the expansion plans.

I recall having closer to 30 mill when fitzy was in charge. This goes back 15 odd years. That wpuld be worth about 75mill now.
If only 18 is left thats terrible.

I think the problem was that they weren't earning a return to justify the amount of debt on the other side of the balance sheet.

In 2008 (at the end of Fitzy's tenure), we had $21m worth. It has gone down and then back up since.

Back in 2008 we had total assets of $56m, Liabilities of $35m leaving $21m in 'equity'
Today we have $92m in total assets, $29 million in liabilities and an equity cushion of $63m.

It's not all that bad.

84 Baby

Referee
I think the problem was that they weren't earning a return to justify the amount of debt on the other side of the balance sheet.

In 2008 (at the end of Fitzy's tenure), we had $21m worth. It has gone down and then back up since.

Back in 2008 we had total assets of $56m, Liabilities of $35m leaving $21m in 'equity'
Today we have $92m in total assets, $29 million in liabilities and an equity cushion of $63m.

It's not all that bad.
You'd have to look at the properties involved but smells like they were just selling off some quick turnaround properties to pay off the debt on the holding properties

Dibs

Bench
No I'm talking facts and figures and not looking at football costs thru rose coloured glasses. If you think the club can still spend these amounts forever you're mistaken. Eventually something has to give particularly as the club has $100m expansion plans. The cost of servicing that loan is huge and eventually interest rates will rise. I used to be a financial manager of a club and when interest rates rise clubs revenues suffer as families have less disposal income.
The babysitters club?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Plenty of current SG Ball players (in bold) in the Flegg squad named today:

Taufa Afu
Tuimavave Afualo
Noel Aukafolau
Blaise Barnes
Dylan Brown (eligible but not in the SG Ball squad)
Mitch Butfield
Michael Cheer
Dylan Clifford
Jesse Cronin
Austin Dias
Matt Doorey
Steve Dresler
Haze Dunster
Salesi Faingaa
Tyrone Faulkner
Jaydn Field
Sione Fonua
Valance Harris
Owen Jones
Oregon Kaufusi
William Kei
Sean Keppie
Sam McGregor
John Paul Nohra
Nick Okladnikov
Ethan Parry
James Porter
Todd Sapienza
Kyle Schneider
Jake Sleiman
Joe Small
Joe Taipari
Vea Tapatoutai
Charbel Tasipale
Michael Tupou
Filia Utoikamanu
Stefano Utoikamanu
PJ Vaigalu
Beni Valu
Bruce Wakeling

https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2018/02/22/eels-announce-2018-jersey-flegg-head-coach-and-squad/

The rest of the SG Ball squad is here:

Brent Barnes
Harry Duggan
Albert Etuate Faavae
Tyler Field
Joshua Hey
David Hollis
Samuel Hughes
Dallas King
Tevita Masima
Aitasi Matautu
Christian Pasitoa
Lorenzo Pritchard
Jayden Skinner
Matt Smith
Jandamurra Stewart
Peter Tevaga
Penioni Tohi
Tyler Tuigamala
Sione Tupou
Christian Wihongi
Jayden Yates

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36317904

Last edited:

Forty20

First Grade
Reed Mahoney and Jaeman Salmon were not named to the Flegg squad, which is probably the most interesting news out of it all. Both were preseason standouts (although Salmon has been contact banned and more recently contact restricted) while Mahoney looked extremely at home in the first ISP trial against North Sydney.

The biggest unknown here is how the six development contracts qualify as far as squad designation is concerned. Are they part of the NRL squad officially? I am nearly 100% certain that Mahoney and Salmon are eligible to play Flegg given recent conversations I have had but I guess they don't officially fall into the squad itself.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe he has gone back over to NZ.

Yeah that's the rumour, He was training with Parra just after Christmas albeit 3-4 sessions after not being granted a release to play for bulldogs.
After failing to turn up to any further training sessions I herd Fieldsy had enough and granted him a release a year early on his contract.
I then herd he was training with Bulldogs 20s and more recently herd he went back to Nz.
So your guess is as good as mine.
Ashame really cause the kid could play.

Reed Mahoney and Jaeman Salmon were not named to the Flegg squad, which is probably the most interesting news out of it all. Both were preseason standouts (although Salmon has been contact banned and more recently contact restricted) while Mahoney looked extremely at home in the first ISP trial against North Sydney.

The biggest unknown here is how the six development contracts qualify as far as squad designation is concerned. Are they part of the NRL squad officially? I am nearly 100% certain that Mahoney and Salmon are eligible to play Flegg given recent conversations I have had but I guess they don't officially fall into the squad itself.

Forty20

If rumours are correct and Taka or Will Smith are used as the utility for first grade and BA only goes with one hooker.
What happens with Mahoney then.? Does he go back to 20s or comes off the bench for Nsw cup.? Behind either Pritchard or King

Or could Pritchard or Mahoney both start.? One in the hooking role and the other play in the halves.?

Forty20

If rumours are correct and Taka or Will Smith are used as the utility for first grade and BA only goes with one hooker.
What happens with Mahoney then.? Does he go back to 20s or comes off the bench for Nsw cup.? Behind either Pritchard or King

Or could Pritchard or Mahoney both start.? One in the hooking role and the other play in the halves.?

I'd be thinkin that Kaysa will spend his share of time injured unfortunately. At worst the bench for Wenty should get some playing time against men.

Plenty of current SG Ball players (in bold) in the Flegg squad named today:

Taufa Afu
Tuimavave Afualo
Noel Aukafolau
Blaise Barnes
Dylan Brown (eligible but not in the SG Ball squad)
Mitch Butfield
Michael Cheer
Dylan Clifford
Jesse Cronin
Austin Dias
Matt Doorey
Steve Dresler
Haze Dunster
Salesi Faingaa
Tyrone Faulkner
Jaydn Field
Sione Fonua
Valance Harris
Owen Jones
Oregon Kaufusi
William Kei
Sean Keppie
Sam McGregor
John Paul Nohra
Nick Okladnikov
Ethan Parry
James Porter
Todd Sapienza
Kyle Schneider
Jake Sleiman
Joe Small
Joe Taipari
Vea Tapatoutai
Charbel Tasipale
Michael Tupou
Filia Utoikamanu
Stefano Utoikamanu
PJ Vaigalu
Beni Valu
Bruce Wakeling

https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2018/02/22/eels-announce-2018-jersey-flegg-head-coach-and-squad/

The rest of the SG Ball squad is here:

Brent Barnes
Harry Duggan
Albert Etuate Faavae
Tyler Field
Joshua Hey
David Hollis
Samuel Hughes
Dallas King
Tevita Masima
Aitasi Matautu
Christian Pasitoa
Lorenzo Pritchard
Jayden Skinner
Matt Smith
Jandamurra Stewart
Peter Tevaga
Penioni Tohi
Tyler Tuigamala
Sione Tupou
Christian Wihongi
Jayden Yates

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36317904

Out of the 8 SG Ball players named I think realistically only 3 players will get an opportunity all depending on injuries of course.

JP Norah
K Schneider
S Utoikamanu

Ideally id love to see Utoikamanu be rested after SG Ball season as I believe there is no such reason to rush him as he is coming back from 2 shoulder reconstructions.
Fingers crossed he gets through Ball season unscathed then is rested till next year.

JP Norah is class fullback and will get an opportunity at some point.
Schneider will also get his opportunity through out the year.

The rest might get opportunities but are all class players.
Will be interesting to see what they do with Doorey as he has signed with the Bulldogs for 2019 and beyond.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Out of the 8 SG Ball players named I think realistically only 3 players will get an opportunity all depending on injuries of course.

JP Norah
K Schneider
S Utoikamanu

Ideally id love to see Utoikamanu be rested after SG Ball season as I believe there is no such reason to rush him as he is coming back from 2 shoulder reconstructions.
Fingers crossed he gets through Ball season unscathed then is rested till next year.

JP Norah is class fullback and will get an opportunity at some point.
Schneider will also get his opportunity through out the year.

The rest might get opportunities but are all class players.
Will be interesting to see what they do with Doorey as he has signed with the Bulldogs for 2019 and beyond.

Val Harris was also named in one or two 21 man squads for the NYC last year so he may see some time on the bench. I find it interesting that both Nohra and Kei were named on the extended bench in the Flegg trial when we knew that both are going to be playing in the SG Ball (or maybe they aren't?)

Val Harris was also named in one or two 21 man squads for the NYC last year so he may see some time on the bench. I find it interesting that both Nohra and Kei were named on the extended bench in the Flegg trial when we knew that both are going to be playing in the SG Ball (or maybe they aren't?)

Yes fair call in relation to Vallance Harris.
I think both boys were name for 20s trial as they are short on outside backs. But both boys are playing SG Ball 100%

Latest posts