What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commonwealth Games 9's - Redcliffe 2018 / Policy / process for team selections ?

adamkungl

Immortal
DAY 1 WRAP

MENS

game 1
TONGA 22 - SAMOA 8

game 2
FIJI 14 - SCOTLAND 10

game 3
AUSTRALIA 30 - WALES 0

game 4
SAMOA 26 - ENGLAND 10

game 5
TONGA 20 - PNG 12

game 6
AUS 36 - SCOTLAND 0

game 7
FIJI 12 - WALES 4

game 8
SCOTLAND 24 - WALES 0

game 9
AUS 24 - FIJI 4

game 10
SAMOA 16 - PNG 14

game 11
TONGA 12 - ENGLAND 6

game 12
ENGLAND 12 - PNG 4

DISABILITY

game 1
NZ 4 - ALL STARS 0

game 2
AUS 8 - ALL STARS 0

game 3
AUS 4 - ALL STARS 0

game 4
AUS 6 - NZ 0

WOMENS

game 1
SAMOA 24 - FIJI 6

game 2
TONGA 8 - CANADA 4

game 3
AUS 26 - SAMOA 4

game 4
TONGA 12 - COOK ISL 4

game 5
AUS 24 - FIJI 0

game 6
COOK ISLANDS 20 - CANADA 12

latingringo101

Juniors
Australia and Tonga into the final of mens final Fiji and Samoa to play for 3rd place of mens comp.

jillaroos just beat Samoa 14-8 for gold medal match, cooks took bronze in the womens

paulmac

Juniors
I traveled up on the Friday,it was an awesome day despite the persistent torrential rain. Crowd of about 1000 I’d say. Was a shame the stadium wasn’t ready,this could have been a great way to open it.Stadium will be better than Leichhardt & Brookvale when it’s finished,would love to see a Women’s World 9s played there annually on the weekend before the NRL starts.

latingringo101

Juniors
Australia took out all 3 medals in men's, women's and physical disability. Looks like a more descent crowd turned up of about 1000 which was great to see

Stallion

First Grade
Australia took out all 3 medals in men's, women's and physical disability. Looks like a more descent crowd turned up of about 1000 which was great to see

Considering the inclement weather that's good. Great to see Australia show whom is top dog! Shame the rugby league officialdom did not embrace/publicize this worthy tournament. It will be significant if the code gains official competition status in the Commonwealth Games into the future.

Knownothing

Juniors
Great to see Australia show WHO is top dog, Mr Teacher.

And if a tournament like this struggles to draw a thousand spectators, is this the fault of the Vichy crew?

Finally, is it really any surprise that Australia is "top dog?" That is actually the main problem for the international game, not something to be celebrated by somebody who claims to want the game to expand against unfair competition. The unfair compettion comes from Australia, mate. If Australia is prepared to make some sacrifices for the sake of the game................... you fill in the rest of the sentence.

Stallion

First Grade
Great to see Australia show WHO is top dog, Mr Teacher.

And if a tournament like this struggles to draw a thousand spectators, is this the fault of the Vichy crew?

Finally, is it really any surprise that Australia is "top dog?" That is actually the main problem for the international game, not something to be celebrated by somebody who claims to want the game to expand against unfair competition. The unfair compettion comes from Australia, mate. If Australia is prepared to make some sacrifices for the sake of the game................... you fill in the rest of the sentence.

I would not just put it down to the "Vichy " crew. It's bigger than that! And yes ignorant based apathy within Australia is a big part of rugby league not going forward internationally. No doubt!

batley

Juniors
I watched both days and really enjoyed it.Pity the Aussies stacked the men's team with semi pros, but it's what you would expect of them.

Knownothing

Juniors
I would not just put it down to the "Vichy " crew. It's bigger than that! And yes ignorant based apathy within Australia is a big part of rugby league not going forward internationally. No doubt!

I really admire your passion, mate, but in my humble opinion you should be directing it to targets that might actually listen to you, and then do something constructive about the points you are making.

I have been around a very long time, played both codes, watched both codes, lived in several countries, including England and Hong Kong and, frankly, no important rugby union that I have met or read about knows much about rugby league, and if they do, they just see it as a novelty. Which is what it is in many countries.

People support one code or the other, if they grow up liking rugby union, it would take an awful lot to persuade them to switch, and vice versa.

But there is absolutely no doubt that the game here in Australia is the proverbial 800 lb goriilla, stitting where it likes, and if that happens to squash a few much smaller countries, well, so what?

Stallion

First Grade
I really admire your passion, mate, but in my humble opinion you should be directing it to targets that might actually listen to you, and then do something constructive about the points you are making.

I have been around a very long time, played both codes, watched both codes, lived in several countries, including England and Hong Kong and, frankly, no important rugby union that I have met or read about knows much about rugby league, and if they do, they just see it as a novelty. Which is what it is in many countries.

People support one code or the other, if they grow up liking rugby union, it would take an awful lot to persuade them to switch, and vice versa.

But there is absolutely no doubt that the game here in Australia is the proverbial 800 lb goriilla, stitting where it likes, and if that happens to squash a few much smaller countries, well, so what?

The issue is that rugby league has been deliberately undermined by rugby union in those places you have deemed to only know rugby union. That's where the well hidden and not discussed enough problem exists and has so in the past. My stance is live and let live. That's not what "big brother" union has been doing. It's been undermining rugby league at every level through its connections and power. That's unfair. After all we are talking about a sport in rugby league that could have been enjoyed by many more people than realised to date.

Stallion

First Grade
There's an old saying: "all's fair in love and war".

if you had the power, would you use it?

Not the way these union dudes have done. Unsportsmanlike conduct to the highest degree. Many people that are neutrals hear excerpts of what union has done behind the scenes and are not impressed. So condoning such underhanded and deliberate undermining of a code is not a good thing. No. It's (repressingRL) not something I think a sport should do to another sport. Live and let live. Letting these dudes get away with it and nothing said is weak.

Knownothing

Juniors
I remember a lot of similar comments during the period leading up to the RUWC in France, a few years ago.

Thefe were quite a few posters calling for boycotts, protests, you name it, all kinds of action to draw attention to the suppression of rugby league in France.

Nothing happened. Lots of hot air.

Be as outraged as you like, but for goodness sake, direct your outrage at targets who (a) might actually listen and (b) might actually be motivated to something constructive for international rugby league.

As a former serviceman, you know the importance of effective strategy. Get the strategy right first, then work away at the tactical level.

You are industrious at the tactical level, my friend, but your strategy is skewwiff.

Stallion

First Grade
I remember a lot of similar comments during the period leading up to the RUWC in France, a few years ago.

Perhaps not. Awareness helps! Apathy doesnt!

Thefe were quite a few posters calling for boycotts, protests, you name it, all kinds of action to draw attention to the suppression of rugby league in France.

Nothing happened. Lots of hot air.

Be as outraged as you like, but for goodness sake, direct your outrage at targets who (a) might actually listen and (b) might actually be motivated to something constructive for international rugby league.

As a former serviceman, you know the importance of effective strategy. Get the strategy right first, then work away at the tactical level.

You are industrious at the tactical level, my friend, but your strategy is skewwiff.

Appreciate the advice. I do think awareness is a good thing. Apathy does not sit well with things such as this. I welcome a proactive path and have plans for a thesis related to this topic. However people like Steve Mascord and people in better positions than I am can better take on this road to sporting justice. Informing and encouraging discourse is a good thing. It can only enlighten the many that are not aware of what has been happening. My prior degree was in Communication Studies before teaching so this medium is more to create an awareness and discourse, which it has to some extent.

Last edited:

Latest posts