What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumor Mill

JJ

Immortal
He offers up an average of 5 missed tackles per game. He doesn't improve the team at all.

He is not NRL standard.

Pretty good fit then?

I'm expecting while he doesn't improve the team, he doesn't make it worse either lol

BLN2

Juniors
Afoa is a small prop. That's his problem, his D isn't flash enough in the second row, and doesn't have the attack to worry anyone with skills, pace etc.. Would be a real negative for the side if he snags the 12 jersey, would be a passenger. I think Kearney likes the 2 tries he scored on debut, so thinks he's an attacking back rower or something.

At prop he just doesn't make any impact. I don't know what you do with him, tell him to get fat in reserve grade? His motor is pretty good but it's all he offers currently.

Reactions: JJ

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Apparently SBW has been told by theAll Blacks he isn't in their plans for next year so as soon as Super Rugby is done he will be in a Roosters jersey

jaseg

Juniors
Apparently SBW has been told by theAll Blacks he isn't in their plans for next year so as soon as Super Rugby is done he will be in a Roosters jersey

I'd be surprised if they told him that for a RWC year (depth counts, even if he's not the 1st or 2nd choice at 12 - having a 3rd and 4th quality option at a position literally won the ABs the cup 7 years ago...).

The year after? Sure.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I don't really watch rugby anymore, but did get the impression that he has a fairly poor year this season so maybe they want to look elsewhere and build up other options pre World Cup ? Don't know

He was spotted having a few meeting with Nick Politis over the summer though so may be something to it

Here is the link btw

http://allaboutnrl.com/2018/02/25/sonny-bill-williams-to-make-shock-return-to-roosters-in-2018/
Your source doesn't have any direct quotes from SBW himself or Khoder.
Did you see this article as well?
http://allaboutnrl.com/2017/08/06/s...o-roosters-after-2019-rugby-league-world-cup/
It's link was on the same page you provided.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I'm not sure that direct quotes from either of them would be worth anything anyway tbh

I hope the rumour is wrong, quite happy not having to watch the guy and not have the circus surrounding him in the NRL

A few other outlets are reporting it as a done deal as well so will have to wait and see. If it does come off it shows what a face the current cap and TPA is for certain teams

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
All Blacks never say that about any player
It is unusual. Hansen backed SBW last year even when the country called for his head. Most of them just flat out hate the guy no matter what he does. Anyway, for Hansen and co to now ditch SBW would look pretty stupid considering he's a guy they chased and went through the mud with. Overall he's been really good for the All Blacks IMO. I'd love to see him at the Warriors not the Roosters.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm a big rugby guy, and it just doesn't hold up in sensibility nor how the All Blacks operate. SBW had a pretty good year last year, if you ignore his unholy brain snaps in the Lions Test being sent off (and arguably costing us the series) then the penalty try v whoever it was on the Europe tour. He was defensively epic all year. And even if they decide he's not the starting midfielder, and Laumape/Crotty are, there's not a lot of quality depth around. Crotty is massively injury prone too. I would be flabbergasted if Hansen said anything of the sort, in fact I'd be certain he'll come out and completely deny it soon.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Yeah I don't believe at all that Hansen has said that to him with a world cup now looming and a lack of depth in the midfield.

As already noted, they stuck with SBW through thick and thin last year.

Maybe, maybe, they want to look to installing Laumape as the starting 12, but undoubtedly he'd be a certainty in the World Cup squad at minimum.

Now if the Roosters offered up a bunch of their unlimited cap to him then that's another story and is entirely realistic.

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, I am not buying it - no player is ever guaranteed an AB spot, nor do they tend to rule them out, especially in a WC season - more is better then - if he's going I imagine there's more to it

Laumape has not overtaken SBW yet IMO, and as PW notes while Crotty is a class act he does get hurt a lot -