What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New NRL Radio Rights Deal

Announced earlier today by the NRL. The following article is from the NRL's website -

New NRL radio rights deal
Author: NRL Media Release
Timestamp: Tue 27 Feb 2018, 02:30 PM

More fans will be able to listen to live rugby league than ever before following the confirmation of a new five-year radio rights deal.

All existing radio partners – Macquarie Media, Southern Cross Austereo and the ABC – have re-signed for a further five years.

And as part of a new partnership with Crocmedia, more regional markets will be reached than ever before.

Through the Crocmedia partnership, regional commercial radio networks including the Super Radio Network, Grant Broadcasters and Resonate Regional Radio will broadcast rugby league.

In addition to the national coverage provided by the ABC, the next five-year cycle will see more rugby league in regions which have not previously had access to NRL matches.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said it was a great result for the game to have such a broad reach via the game's radio partners.

"This will allow more people to listen to rugby league matches and that will be great for the game," Mr Greenberg said.

"It means we can reach fans who ordinarily would be unable to attend matches regularly.

"I'd like to thank our existing partners Macquarie Media, Southern Cross Austereo and the ABC for their ongoing support of the game and I also welcome Crocmedia to the stable."

As part of the new rights deal:

• Southern Cross Austereo (via the Triple M network) and Crocmedia will broadcast Thursday nights, Friday nights (6pm), Saturday (3pm) and Sunday afternoons (4.10pm);
  • Macquarie Media, via its network of stations including 2GB and 4BC, will broadcast Friday nights (7.50pm), Saturdays (5.30pm and 7.30pm), and Sundays (2pm);
  • The ABC have an in-principle agreement to broadcast all NRL matches.
Another feature of the deal is that fans in Queensland will be more likely to have access to the broadcast of matches involving their favourite teams. Matches involving Queensland-based teams will be more regularly broadcast by both Macquarie Media and Southern Cross Austereo in Queensland.

Holden State of Origin matches and the NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final will be broadcast nationally as part of the new agreement.

NRL Head of Strategy, David Silverton, said: "This deal completes our suite of NRL media rights deals for the 2018-22 cycle across television, digital and radio in Australia and internationally.

"Radio plays a very important role in providing our fans, many of whom live in regional locations, with access to top-level Rugby League.

"Radio also continues to be a platform that fans love to use to engage with the game.

"I would like to thank all our official radio partners for the collaborative approach taken in finalising this deal."

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
From radiotoday.com.au

Crocmedia has secured a new NRL partnership for the next five years as part of a sub-license agreement with Macquarie Media Limited and the ARLC.

The new deal will expand the reach of the NRL radio broadcast to more than 80% of Queensand and NSW, providing game day commentary care of Crocmedia’s new NRL Nation.

NRL Nation will feature a stack of legends and stalwarts of the game including Laurie Daley, Brett Kimmorley, Scott Prince and Luke Lewis as well as callers Brenton Speed, Russell Barwick and Peter Psaltis.

They’ll also be joined by a slew of other former players, with Gary Belcher, Steve Roach, Russell Barwick and Peter Psaltis coming on board, with Renee Gartner joining as a sideline reporter.

NRL Nation will call four matches each round across the Super Radio Network, Grant Broadcasters, Resonate
Regional Radio and Coastal Broadcasters, and CAAMA and QRAM networks.

“We’ve got one of the most loyal and extensive fan bases in Australian sport and this partnership with Macquarie Media Limited and Crocmedia makes our great game even more accessible for our fans in regional NSW and Queensland bringing them a new call from top NRL talent each week,” NRL Chief Todd Greenberg said.

The matches to be called each week will be Thursday (8pm), Friday (6pm), Saturday (3pm) and Sunday (4pm).

“We are thrilled to add a broadcast partnership with Macquarie Media and the NRL as the latest addition to our growing stable of sport properties with an incredible ensemble of on-air talent,” said Crocmedia CEO Craig Hutchison.

Brutus

Referee
Russell Barwick is an AFL flog, I cannot believe they would have him as a caller.

Salty (Peter Psaltis) is an excellent choice. A true league man.

Brenton Speed....nah.

Good to see another network covering the game. Long overdue. Looks as though GB got a good deal, with no commercial competition during the games they call.

Diesel

Coach
I hope there’s an agreement in NSW/Qld where NRL takes precedence over AFL.

Pisses me off in Brisbane when the Lions play and TripleM takes the AFL on over NRL. Must be a HUGE drop in ratings or a ploy to get more to use the app to continue listing to NRL

Dodgy

Juniors
Yep. As someone who listens to SEN1116 pretty much all day, I was interested in Craig Hutchinson's long term plans for the station. He didn't say much after the never of Pacific Star and Crocmedia, but he gave the impression that there where going to be some big changes at the station.

While his scorched earth policy has led to some popular personalities have been let go, he has cleared a lot of the idiots that were rusted on the station. It's not perfect, but sounds more like legit sports radio, as opposed to half sports/half community station.

It's actually made me wonder if there were plans for a SEN more suited to NSW/QLD? I know in Melbourne, I've heard Scot Sattler a few times so far, when normally a rl is typically a storm rep.

Did any of you guys get their Super Bowl coverage? They actually went there and called it. Are you getting their broadcast of the SA Test series?

roofromoz

First Grade
Unless there are affliates outside of Melbourne taking the call, then I would be hopeful that they have streaming rights. If not, there's White Line Wireless (I think they're part of The Roar?) that do a great job.

King hit

Coach
I hope there’s an agreement in NSW/Qld where NRL takes precedence over AFL.

Pisses me off in Brisbane when the Lions play and TripleM takes the AFL on over NRL. Must be a HUGE drop in ratings or a ploy to get more to use the app to continue listing to NRL

League always gets the nod over AFL in Brisbane

Not on Triple M when the Lions are playing on Sat/Sun arvo at the times Triple M has the NRL from midday on the weekends

Nor Sydney. If The Swans are playing and it clashes with the NRL they broadcast the Swans game.

The thing is, the AFL radio deals are on a different cycle from the NRL one, so if it is in the contract Triple M have with the AFL then they would not be able to negotiate an NRL preference clause in the NRL rights deal. Might be worth e-mailing Triple M and asking them.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Yep. As someone who listens to SEN1116 pretty much all day, I was interested in Craig Hutchinson's long term plans for the station. He didn't say much after the never of Pacific Star and Crocmedia, but he gave the impression that there where going to be some big changes at the station.

While his scorched earth policy has led to some popular personalities have been let go, he has cleared a lot of the idiots that were rusted on the station. It's not perfect, but sounds more like legit sports radio, as opposed to half sports/half community station.

It's actually made me wonder if there were plans for a SEN more suited to NSW/QLD? I know in Melbourne, I've heard Scot Sattler a few times so far, when normally a rl is typically a storm rep.

Did any of you guys get their Super Bowl coverage? They actually went there and called it. Are you getting their broadcast of the SA Test series?

But they sent former ABC man Gerard Whately and now he's calling the cricket...he's a smug little turd who is slowly being overexposed.

Latest posts