What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our predicted lineup R1

Como Connection

First Grade
Did you not watch Charity Shield mate?
Sele was outstanding when he came on in both attack and defence. Provided great impact, threatened the line and provided a great lift. If his performance doesn't translate to selection then scrap the game, waste of time.
Exactly right.
Sele goes well.
A must pick, however not sure the coaching staff can work it out.
CC

BennyV

Referee
Kerr would provide more impact than Sele in attack. He could come on 10 minutes before half time and play 10 to 15 after half time. We would also probably be stronger defensively in the middle with Kerr there instead of Sele. I think when Sele comes on to replace DeBelin, we lose a lot, especially in defence. I don't think Sele provides much at all.

I can argue that bringing on Leilua with 30 minutes to go would have a fresh Leilua taking on players who have been playing for up to 50 minutes. If Leilua can not handle 30 minutes at the back end of the game, then he will not be considered for any spot in first grade.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. Kerr, despite a good 10 minute burst in the dying phase of a trial, has not shown he is up for full time NRL. If you're critical of the way the defense drops when JDB comes off, you'll be bitterly disappointed regardless of who replaces him, he is a lynchpin of our defence and the fact that we pulled off 3 of our hardest working forwards in one hit is not a reason to discount Sele.

If we are talking props, I'm all for Kerr providing 30 odd minutes a game. But as a substitute for JDB, Sele is it - paid his dues, proven himself as a ball of energy and hard hitter in defense and is ready for a full-time spot in the 17 IMO. I'd argue that he is a carbon copy of JDB at the same stage of their career, maybe a little further advanced (if you'll recall JDB in his early years, he was a workhorse in defence but didnt offer much else, even his ballplaying was barely anywhere to be seen).

All opinions anyway. I was critical of Kerr last year but I hope he gets his shot this year (as a prop only).

giboz71

First Grade
I don’t mind Kerr as well.

Got that tall rangy body shape that all the top props have these days like Bromwich, RCG, McLean and even Vaughan.

Will go well as a bench prop if any of Graham, Vaughan, Sims or LAM have an injury. But in all likelihood, he’s probably behind those 4 as well as Lawrie, Latimore and even Allgood.

I’d like to see him have a go in FG though. Good raw talent.

Last edited:

hermidale1

Juniors
I really don't see where Luc fits in the 17 to be honest?

He can't start and be the 80 min back rower Thommo was (that spot should go to Host). He's not really a prop (where LAM and Sims should be the bench props). And Sele is more suited to give JDB or even Friz a rest.

He could be the 4th forward on the bench if we go that way, otherwise, he doesn't make the side at this stage.
We all know it won't happen that way though. The coach hates to be proven wrong.

Frank Facer

First Grade
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. Kerr, despite a good 10 minute burst in the dying phase of a trial, has not shown he is up for full time NRL. If you're critical of the way the defense drops when JDB comes off, you'll be bitterly disappointed regardless of who replaces him, he is a lynchpin of our defence and the fact that we pulled off 3 of our hardest working forwards in one hit is not a reason to discount Sele.

If we are talking props, I'm all for Kerr providing 30 odd minutes a game. But as a substitute for JDB, Sele is it - paid his dues, proven himself as a ball of energy and hard hitter in defense and is ready for a full-time spot in the 17 IMO. I'd argue that he is a carbon copy of JDB at the same stage of their career, maybe a little further advanced (if you'll recall JDB in his early years, he was a workhorse in defence but didnt offer much else, even his ballplaying was barely anywhere to be seen).

All opinions anyway. I was critical of Kerr last year but I hope he gets his shot this year (as a prop only).
OK. I had Simms, Kerr and AhMau as my 3 middle replacements. I actually think Simms is best suited to lock, so he would be taking DeBelins spot and Kerr would taking Vaughns spot.

kit66

Bench
From what I've seen of the trials:
1. Kerr should be 4th prop in the rotation.
2. Sims should be Thompson's replacement.
3. Robson should be used in a hooker rotation from time to time.
4. Lomax should replace Aitken at right centre.
5. Mann should replace Macdonald at left wing.
6. Nightingale should be replaced by a young gun outside back.

1 FROM 6 and that's 50/50, the rest won't happen, not in round 1 anyway and hopefully No.3 never happens.

Old Timer

Coach
From what I've seen of the trials:
1. Kerr should be 4th prop in the rotation.
2. Sims should be Thompson's replacement.
3. Robson should be used in a hooker rotation from time to time.
4. Lomax should replace Aitken at right centre.
5. Mann should replace Macdonald at left wing.
6. Nightingale should be replaced by a young gun outside back.
Possm

I still don't get all the hype about Sims.
Nothing in the trials to show that he is suited to hold down the starting edge position. IMO his body shape has altered measurably in the off season and he looks very muscle bound with little natural lateral movement so best suited to the middle, therefore prop rotation. If he doesn't deliver big time Kerr to be given that spot.

The centres are a much bigger problem than the wings and Mann must get 1 centre spot if we are fair dinkum.

Lomax to replace Nighty.

Como Connection

First Grade
Possm

I still don't get all the hype about Sims.
Nothing in the trials to show that he is suited to hold down the starting edge position. IMO his body shape has altered measurably in the off season and he looks very muscle bound with little natural lateral movement so best suited to the middle, therefore prop rotation. If he doesn't deliver big time Kerr to be given that spot.

The centres are a much bigger problem than the wings and Mann must get 1 centre spot if we are fair dinkum.

Lomax to replace Nighty.
All bar 4 on the site are fair dinkum about Mann in the centres
I guess we can make the no vote to Mann up to 7 to include our coaching staff.
CC

RufusRex

Post Whore
Sims is our 4th prop ... Nothing more/nothing less .. Didn't see anything in the trials to warrant edge which is disappointing as at the end of last season he was playing well there.

Host should be the left edge ... he should have at least been given time there in a trial. He is a long minute edge player. We can then debate the viability of Leilua but at this stage he isn't what we need either - simply because in the two trials he was used in totally the wrong manner.

Still need a 4th bench player to put their hand up and more importantly a realistic strategy on how to use a 4th bench player.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Let's see what Mary comes up with next week will it be walking frames all round with not a training wheel to be seen .......or shall he surprise us all .only time will tell Long live THE BIG RED VVVVV ........

O'Sullivan

Juniors
Aitken should not be in our backline full-stop! Hard running and gives his all but cannot read what he needs to do in defence. Rushes up, rushes in and usually tackles air.

PaulMcGregor

Juniors
I love Euan’s efforts on the “one percenters”.

He’s a work in progress on the other ninety nine, just quietly.

PaulMcGregor

Juniors
The obvious would be Hostie playing long with a burst of Luc - whilst Taz strengthens the middle...

I’m gonna catch Wayne out with Luc and Taz sharing the left and slow up the middle with Lats, just quietly.

Last year we were too obvious. Not this year.

SBD82

Coach
The obvious would be Hostie playing long with a burst of Luc - whilst Taz strengthens the middle...

I’m gonna catch Wayne out with Luc and Taz sharing the left and slow up the middle with Lats, just quietly.

Last year we were too obvious. Not this year.
Thanks coach.

You going to play 4 forwards/3 forwards and a hooker on the bench?

Or are you going the ol' leave one bloke to get splinters for 75/80 minutes?

PaulMcGregor

Juniors
Thanks coach.

You going to play 4 forwards/3 forwards and a hooker on the bench?

Or are you going the ol' leave one bloke to get splinters for 75/80 minutes?

No minutes for Kurt off the bench. His silky try assist, matchwinner and solid defence against Hull still leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

I’m allowing Euan 4 defensive misreads before I hook him for “hammy troubles” - up from 3 last year, to help his confidence.

Last edited: