What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Captain

Joel-22

Juniors
Sione ran the team out today. So I guess that means that the captains will stay the way they were. In many respects I think that’s the right call.

I was one of the ones who were calling for Sione to remain in the back row however seeing him out there tonight kinda made me change my mind. It wasn’t a great performance by any means but it was good to see him not have to grind through a game in the forwards trying not to get a concussion, he is too classy of a player to be restricted to that role.

I was impressed with Sione. Considering it was his first hit out at centre for over 12 months I thought he had some really classy touches and was physical in defence. He isn't slow by any means but not a flyer. He has great footwork and is incredibly strong. I'm tipping him for a very big year

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I understand people's concerns that Buhrer is a bit small but I think he provides a point of difference in our pack. Fitzy and Guerra are both big solid hole-running back rowers but I feel that Buhrer adds a bit of ball playing to our edges and he's also able to create second phase play with regularity which I like.

I know this was ages ago and the game has probably changed a fair bit since then but I remember when the Tigers won that premiership in '05 and they did it with an undersize pack that was virtually full of no-names at the time but they managed to do it by keeping the ball alive and their forwards were able to create enough second phase play to get their playmakers into the game.

Our side isn't quite as small as that but I think there is definitely a place for Buhrer's skills in our pack.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Do you pick Buhrer over Guerra, Fitz, Jafiti, Ese'Ese, Barnett, Heighnington?

I would have him on the bench as backrow/hooker cover and leave Griffin out, but Brown obviously thinks Griffin is our starting 9 and doesn't rate Buhrer as a 9.

We carry three of Levi / Griffin / Buhrer we are going to lose the middle every game.

I think Buhrer starts on the edge as C and Fitz starts the year in reserves. Not to say form wont dictate what happens after that.

macavity

Referee
I think Buhrer starts on the edge as C and Fitz starts the year in reserves. Not to say form wont dictate what happens after that.

That’s really the swing. I won’t lose sleep either way, but can’t carry both. If we aren’t carrying him as 9 cover, Buhrer has to play 80 or reserves.

Old dog

Juniors
Buhrer was my pick as solo Captain but now not sure, all being fit, he will be in first 17, can't have Levi, Griffin and Buhrer in 17. Buhrer could be club Captain and not game Captain but doubt that would be tried so it's Sione or someone like Guerra. My 8-17 would be, Dan, Griff, Lillyman, Fitz, Guerra, Barnett, Levi, Esee, Jacob, King due to needing strong bigger forwards.

Burwood

Bench
I know it’s a bit off topic, but I’d like to see Levi, Fitz, Saifiti and Ese’ese on the bench with Heighington in reserves. Starting backrow of Buhrer and Guerra with Barnett at lock.

Spot On

Coach
I'd like to see an 80 min hooker. Bench would be awesome if it ever happened. Buhrer could play backrow, hooker and halves if needed. Stack the other 3 bench positions with J Saf, King and Herman.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I know it’s a bit off topic, but I’d like to see Levi, Fitz, Saifiti and Ese’ese on the bench with Heighington in reserves. Starting backrow of Buhrer and Guerra with Barnett at lock.

I think Heighington will start the season in our 17 because Brown will want an old head on the bench to come on and help steady the ship when we need it especially in the first half of the season. But I think that by the end of the year Heighington will be back in reserves because we will have a more settled line up and I can see someone like King taking his spot as the season progresses. I would be surprised if Brown hasn't already had that conversation with Heighington and I'm sure Heighington came here knowing full well what his role was.

Shenry4

Juniors
I don't like the idea of giving the captaincy to someone who is still under pressure to cement his spot in first grade. He was named on the bench in the trials and whats the point of the captain who doesn't start? With Barnett coming back, Fitzy, Guerra, Hermen Ese Ese hes under pressure. Also Slade Griffin and Levi cover the dummy halves now I don't think its a good idea.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I don't like the idea of giving the captaincy to someone who is still under pressure to cement his spot in first grade. He was named on the bench in the trials and whats the point of the captain who doesn't start? With Barnett coming back, Fitzy, Guerra, Hermen Ese Ese hes under pressure. Also Slade Griffin and Levi cover the dummy halves now I don't think its a good idea.

I think Brown just wanted to give Fitzy a run to see if he could cement himself a bench spot. I would be surprised if Buhrer was coming off the bench in round 1. I imagine Brown wanted to see how other guys went and felt that Buhrer already has his spot locked away.

I'm just speculating of course but it would be weird to name him as captain then drop him to the bench before the season has even started.

Old dog

Juniors
Buhrer, all being fit may not start in 17 let alone 13, we need a big mobile pack, he will be in a two out of three with Levi and Griffin, play Fitz, Guerra, Barnett with Levi/Griffin, Esee, Jacob, King on bench. Buhrer only makes firsts if Levi or Griffin have problem. If other forwards out injured etc then Heighinton covers

Old dog

Juniors
Because of what I said above then Sione Captain or Guerra if you want someone close to the action, Barnett outside chance..

Noname36

First Grade
Brown just announced Jamie Buhrer & Mitchell Pearce as co-captains at the season launch.

Happy with that - didn’t want Pearce as sole captain as there’s already too much pressure on him and obviously Buhrer may not always be on the field/in the team. Also allows Sione to go back to doing what every other 22 year old in the game is, working on his own game.

Spot On

Coach
Only way I'd have Buhrer in firsts now is if we ever get an 80 min hooker. That would free a bench spot for him.

macavity

Referee
You are kidding yourself if you think Buhrer is playing reggies...

Guess we will see. I hope he doesn’t... he will start the year in first grade and if he stays there it means we are doing well (or have injuries I guess)

Latest posts