What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our predicted lineup R1

Old Timer

Coach
You said that Sele maybe a little further advanced than DeBelin at the same stage of their careers. I beg to differ. DeBelin actually won the Under 20's Dally M player of the year. When DeBelin graduated from the 20's, I thought he was the best forward prospect we have had come through our system for a very long time (I started to wonder if I had got that one wrong for a while). I don't see Sele in the same category. I believe that DeBelin should have been given the number 13 jersey while Merrin was still here and Merrin should have been moved back to prop, but instead, DeBelin was stuffed around and miss managed until Merrin left. It was only in the last couple of years that DeBelin has started to live up to my expectations.

I hope that Sele does progress and develop into a top class forward.
I think Sele is a little more gifted naturally than JDB was at the same stage of their careers.
JDB was fairly robotic with the ball in hand where Sele looks like a ball player and seems to have more natural instincts than JDB.
No doubt Sele is yet to become as hard as Jack.

Reactions: jak

BennyV

Referee
Dragon Leilua down to size for NRL return
By AAP
3 hours ago

FShareTTweetBEmail

Luciano Leilua has revealed he hopes to return to St George Illawarra's NRL side next week more than 10 kilograms lighter than when he was last sighted in first grade.

Leilua is set to be the biggest beneficiary of Joel Thompson's off-season move to Manly, set to earn a recall into Paul McGregor's side for the NRL season-opener against Brisbane.

The 21-year-old second-rower hasn't been sighted in the NRL since his 2016 rookie year, when he was tipping the scales at about 124kg.

But after starting this summer's pre-season at 120kg, Leilua is now down to his professional best of 113 after an off-season spent ditching the carbohydrates and eating sizeably smaller meal portions.

"I feel heaps better," Leilua told AAP.

"I've always been heavy going through high school growing up. Knowing now that I'm more mature, lose weight and stay on my diet.

"It's improved my training heaps. My running times have been better.

"Everyone is going to feel good if they lose weight. But this is probably the best pre-season I've had of my three."

Leilua, who is the brother of Canberra centre Joseph, was named Illawarra's best player in reserve grade last year and was rewarded with a two-year contract extension in December.

A promising St George junior, Leilua started in both of the Dragons' pre-season trials and has been vying for the left-edge second-row spot along with Tariq Sims and bench prospect Jacob Host.

Leilua's pre-season has impressed many at the Dragons - including coach McGregor - and the youngster said much of that was down to his own development in NSW Cup last season.

"It was tough playing against men - just physical," he said.

"It's got a little bit quicker. But most of all it's getting used to week in, wee out playing against men. It just toughens you up.

"Growing up I was a big boy, but stepping into NSW Cup everyone is big. It's hard to shove them off or palm them off because everyone is strong and fit."
Lol seems very few people watched the trials...

Crush

Coach
It’s 100% certain that he had a couple of poor games in the trials! What’s your point?
I wasn't trying to make a point more just asking if others, like yourself, think that he is not up to 1st grade just yet or if he perhaps just had a couple of poor games and can bounce back and be a regular first grader?

BennyV

Referee
I wasn't trying to make a point more just asking if others, like yourself, think that he is not up to 1st grade just yet or if he perhaps just had a couple of poor games and can bounce back and be a regular first grader?
In time he could be a regular first grader, but I reckon that’s his ceiling. Can’t see him being a rep player of any type, unless he pulls on a Samoa/Tonga jersey (unsure of his heritage).

As for this year - he is down the list and, at best, could find himself as a bench impact player in the second half of the year. I initially had him off the bench Round 1 but after seeing the trials, he needs more time for mine.

If he is starting on Thursday, it’s not a good sign that Mary has learnt anything this off season.

Crush

Coach
In time he could be a regular first grader, but I reckon that’s his ceiling. Can’t see him being a rep player of any type, unless he pulls on a Samoa/Tonga jersey (unsure of his heritage).

As for this year - he is down the list and, at best, could find himself as a bench impact player in the second half of the year. I initially had him off the bench Round 1 but after seeing the trials, he needs more time for mine.

If he is starting on Thursday, it’s not a good sign that Mary has learnt anything this off season.
Do you really think Mary has learnt anything? Of course he hasn't! He honestly thinks he is doing a good job.
Luciano will 100% be a starter on Thursday as will Aitken, Lafai and Nightingale. Mann will be on the bench.
Mary doesn't think he needs to change anything.
Luckily I think we can still have a good season despite Mary.
Plus Aitken is injury prone so Mann should be a starter before long.

kit66

Bench
OK, after watching our trials again I'm going with this...

Fullback 1. Dufty ( but if it's Field I'd be happy with that too - I think he's the smarter of the two by some degree ).

Left side - 2. Nene 4. Lafai 6. Widdop. 12. Frizelle

Middle - 10. Vaughan 9. McInnes 8. Sele 13. JDB

Right side - 5. Nightie, 3. Mann 7. Hunt 11. Leilua

Bench 14. Ah Mau 15. Sims 16. Graham 17. Field ( I like this bench, good Impact there ).

18. Kerr / Latimore.

Yes, Frizell on our troublesome left and if you're concerned with Leilua on the right, watch the Hull game he was great.

kit66

Bench
Leilua was ordinary at best against Hull.

How so ?
His defence was excellent in the first half, he worked really well with Hunt and Mann and Hull didn't make any breaks down that side. In attack he did what was asked of him and showed quick hands.
He missed a tackle late in the 2nd half but recovered to finish the tackle. No errors. Looked a damn site better than Host who was given a shot in the 2nd half, missing numerous tackles, leaving holes and giving up a soft try.

possm

Coach
Dragon Leilua down to size for NRL return
By AAP
3 hours ago

FShareTTweetBEmail

Luciano Leilua has revealed he hopes to return to St George Illawarra's NRL side next week more than 10 kilograms lighter than when he was last sighted in first grade.

Leilua is set to be the biggest beneficiary of Joel Thompson's off-season move to Manly, set to earn a recall into Paul McGregor's side for the NRL season-opener against Brisbane.

The 21-year-old second-rower hasn't been sighted in the NRL since his 2016 rookie year, when he was tipping the scales at about 124kg.

But after starting this summer's pre-season at 120kg, Leilua is now down to his professional best of 113 after an off-season spent ditching the carbohydrates and eating sizeably smaller meal portions.

"I feel heaps better," Leilua told AAP.

"I've always been heavy going through high school growing up. Knowing now that I'm more mature, lose weight and stay on my diet.

"It's improved my training heaps. My running times have been better.

"Everyone is going to feel good if they lose weight. But this is probably the best pre-season I've had of my three."

Leilua, who is the brother of Canberra centre Joseph, was named Illawarra's best player in reserve grade last year and was rewarded with a two-year contract extension in December.

A promising St George junior, Leilua started in both of the Dragons' pre-season trials and has been vying for the left-edge second-row spot along with Tariq Sims and bench prospect Jacob Host.

Leilua's pre-season has impressed many at the Dragons - including coach McGregor - and the youngster said much of that was down to his own development in NSW Cup last season.

"It was tough playing against men - just physical," he said.

"It's got a little bit quicker. But most of all it's getting used to week in, wee out playing against men. It just toughens you up.

"Growing up I was a big boy, but stepping into NSW Cup everyone is big. It's hard to shove them off or palm them off because everyone is strong and fit."
Thompson could play long mins and is a very effective defender. I really do not want to see an unfit Leilua who arm grabs or just does not make an effort to bring an opposition runner down. At this stage I'd be happy to see Host start and Leilue in reserve grade until he demonstrates he is at first grade standard. I waited all off-season in the hope he would be the genuine replacement for Thompson. Surely, Mary and Millward should have seen that he is not there as yet and so the question, why did they let Thompson go. I homestly thought it was to sign another prop with Sims playing in Thompson's position.

Old Timer

Coach
How so ?
His defence was excellent in the first half, he worked really well with Hunt and Mann and Hull didn't make any breaks down that side. In attack he did what was asked of him and showed quick hands.
He missed a tackle late in the 2nd half but recovered to finish the tackle. No errors. Looked a damn site better than Host who was given a shot in the 2nd half, missing numerous tackles, leaving holes and giving up a soft try.
Your evaluation of the try "Host gave up" is completely wrong.
Vaughan mis read the play, the Hull player ran behind his own man, Sele missed him on an outside shoulder and Host was staying out to cover his man and those outside him which was initially the correct thing to do
So 2 blokes on Host's inside missed the attacker and then Host was forced to come in but was too late.
The greater fault was Sele who should have kept coming across to shut down the play.
Leilua has played a lot on the left and when put there for a long stint against Souths he came up miserably short.

kit66

Bench
That's why we should try Frizell on the left, his lateral defence is great, he runs angles just as good as Thompson and he'd play well off / or decoying for Widdop over there.
We've tried Host, sims and Leilua on the left and they've all fallen short. Why not try something else.
Both Sims and Leilua have played alright on the right but I'd rather Sims on the bench.

possm

Coach
Do you really think Mary has learnt anything? Of course he hasn't! He honestly thinks he is doing a good job.
Luciano will 100% be a starter on Thursday as will Aitken, Lafai and Nightingale. Mann will be on the bench.
Mary doesn't think he needs to change anything.
Luckily I think we can still have a good season despite Mary.
Plus Aitken is injury prone so Mann should be a starter before long.

I don't understand how any Dragons fan would be content of us just throwing away the two points each game - any game. Aitken has done nothing to earn selection in first grade for round one and Mann is a better option than Aitken every day of the week.

possm

Coach
That's why we should try Frizell on the left, his lateral defence is great, he runs angles just as good as Thompson and he'd play well off / or decoying for Widdop over there.
We've tried Host, sims and Leilua on the left and they've all fallen short. Why not try something else.
Both Sims and Leilua have played alright on the right but I'd rather Sims on the bench.
So we weaken the right to strengthen the left. Again, why let Thompson go?

kit66

Bench
So we weaken the right to strengthen the left. Again, why let Thompson go?

Watch the 1st half of the Hull game again, our right side with Leilua conceded no tries, no line breaks, scored a try and looked dangerous while the left looked like Swiss cheese, let in 2 soft tries and were sloppy in attack ( Nene and Wids made them look good in the 2nd half ).
I'm with you on the "why let Thommo go" question but it's done, time to move on.

BennyV

Referee
How so ?
People see what they want to see - Leilua was highly hyped by many on here pre-trials and some people aren’t willing to notice his faults. Not saying that’s the case with you but it’s a trend I noticed after the Hull game (changed after the CS where he went from ordinary to bad and anyone hitching themselves to him couldn’t defend it).

From what I saw, Luc isn’t an edge player. His tackling was ok we lateral movement was sub-par and he turned his back a lot getting back to the line. Hence he was targetted heavily against Souths. In attack, he ran like Aitken - ie grabbed the ball and just ran, no ball promotion, no consideration of angles nor who he was running at. His leg speed/drive is poor and since he’s no longer a big fish in a small pond, he can’t just push players off to ball play and without that, he loses all effectiveness on the edge. Needs to develop more and become a bench impact player.

By comparison, Host kept up with the pace of the game. He made some poor tackle attempts (although as OT pointed out, the try you refer to was a result of the middle men not reacting. Host was marking his opposite, as an edge defender should). His angles off the halves were much cleaner, he consistently isolated the opposition small defenders and made 5-10m post contact each run. He is underdone but he’s a far more natural edge player than Luc, and definitely better prepped for first grade.

dragonrickjs

Juniors
I’d like to see Aiken moved to the second row he is use to defending out wide strong ball carrier and let’s face it plays like a edge back rower anyway. And Lomax given a shot in the centres

Dufty
Nightingale
Lomax
Lafai
McDonald
Widdop
Hunt
Graham
McInnes
Vaughan
Frizell
Aiken