What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah
This is um
yeah
cool

Volatile and Catharsis are big dumb and heavy like Bulldozer which isn't a huge crime, except I know that the band is capable of so much better. Catharsis (and numerous other songs) suffer from the idea that adding some "emotional" clean vocals adds any legitimate feeling or drama to a song but I don't really feel it. No build up or complexity, just basic heavy riffs that have been done better before, even in MH's previous shit nu-metal era.

I think I might like Beyond the Pale. It has its moments.

California Bleeding into Triple Beam is just a one-two punch of dumb. And Kaleidoscope isn't much better.
They're bad enough to almost make Bastards seem better just by changing things up but lets be real the country music with rage thing doesn't inspire anything positive either.

Okay 7 songs 32 mins and we still aren't at the halfway point. Joy. Worth noting that even though I grew to quite like it, the worst part of their last album was a complete inability to self edit, resulting in 20 mins of pointless material that contributed nothing. So they've doubled down on it here, and with far worse songs.

Hope Begets Hope. Bland. Filler. One of few that doesn't have an [EXPLICIT] tag in Spotify. Maybe it needs more swearing. That always makes metal songs sound tougher.

The biggest crime here isn't the nu metal stuff, but that even with constant style changes none of this is interesting. Big stupid riffs should at least be fun. This is not. Screaming at the Sun is more of the same.
Behind a Mask is attempting emotions again. I've liked these parts of previous MH songs (Darkness Within, on Locust, is a great example) but none of this seems to be working.

Heavy Lies the Crown has the potential to be actually good. Ambitious and dramatic and isn't about SMASHING THINGS and NOT GIVING A f**k, the only problem is some weird vocal choices in the midsection which lean too far towards something like Lordi or Gwar for my liking. But if I had to choose the best songs from the album this would be one of them.

We're at 54 mins and the last song winds down slowly... end of the album? Nope, still 20 mins to go! Time for some more rap metal and drop riffs! A song called Psychotic shouldn't be this boring. The slayer riff in the middle redeems it slightly. And then there's a gunshot sound effect. Dear oh dear. Why are these 1 riff songs 5 mins long?

Grind You Down. Annoying.

Razorblade Smile. Dumb.

Eulogy. Pointless.

The last 3 songs perfectly represent the album. Annoying, dumb, pointless.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Yeah
This is um
yeah
cool

Volatile and Catharsis are big dumb and heavy like Bulldozer which isn't a huge crime, except I know that the band is capable of so much better. Catharsis (and numerous other songs) suffer from the idea that adding some "emotional" clean vocals adds any legitimate feeling or drama to a song but I don't really feel it. No build up or complexity, just basic heavy riffs that have been done better before, even in MH's previous shit nu-metal era.

I think I might like Beyond the Pale. It has its moments.

California Bleeding into Triple Beam is just a one-two punch of dumb. And Kaleidoscope isn't much better.
They're bad enough to almost make Bastards seem better just by changing things up but lets be real the country music with rage thing doesn't inspire anything positive either.

Okay 7 songs 32 mins and we still aren't at the halfway point. Joy. Worth noting that even though I grew to quite like it, the worst part of their last album was a complete inability to self edit, resulting in 20 mins of pointless material that contributed nothing. So they've doubled down on it here, and with far worse songs.

Hope Begets Hope. Bland. Filler. One of few that doesn't have an [EXPLICIT] tag in Spotify. Maybe it needs more swearing. That always makes metal songs sound tougher.

The biggest crime here isn't the nu metal stuff, but that even with constant style changes none of this is interesting. Big stupid riffs should at least be fun. This is not. Screaming at the Sun is more of the same.
Behind a Mask is attempting emotions again. I've liked these parts of previous MH songs (Darkness Within, on Locust, is a great example) but none of this seems to be working.

Heavy Lies the Crown has the potential to be actually good. Ambitious and dramatic and isn't about SMASHING THINGS and NOT GIVING A f**k, the only problem is some weird vocal choices in the midsection which lean too far towards something like Lordi or Gwar for my liking. But if I had to choose the best songs from the album this would be one of them.

We're at 54 mins and the last song winds down slowly... end of the album? Nope, still 20 mins to go! Time for some more rap metal and drop riffs! A song called Psychotic shouldn't be this boring. The slayer riff in the middle redeems it slightly. And then there's a gunshot sound effect. Dear oh dear. Why are these 1 riff songs 5 mins long?

Grind You Down. Annoying.

Razorblade Smile. Dumb.

Eulogy. Pointless.

The last 3 songs perfectly represent the album. Annoying, dumb, pointless.

The thing is even if it was released sometime between 1998-2003 it would still be f*#king rubbish. It makes Supercharger look like The Number of the Beast

adamkungl

Immortal
The thing is even if it was released sometime between 1998-2003 it would still be f*#king rubbish. It makes Supercharger look like The Number of the Beast

Yeah I actually don't mind some songs from their previous dickhead era.
But the best songs on here are just shittier versions of stuff like Bulldozer or American High.

adamkungl

Immortal
Tribulation and Aeternam albums have been a nice palate cleanser after the MH turd. 2 modern band seriously hitting their stride.

Pommy

Coach
Been listening to the new Judas Priest album today. Certainly better than some of their more recent offerings, not at all bad for blokes well in to their 60s.

Eelectrica

Referee
BTBAM with a new album Automata Pt1

Loving it so far. These guys never disappoint.

Sad to hear the MH have fallen off the cliff though:(

Last edited:

Mong

Post Whore
f**k me that'd be something. If I have one "Wish I could go back" It would be to see Metallica at peak fury in 1989 or so.

They were here in 89 but only played two venues I think from memory. They are still nearly as good live now as then although James has a very different stage persona.

I’ve seen them around 12 times now through out the years and have never left disappointed :)

I hope they finish their tour in Australia again, the very last show last time in Melbourne had the best set list that was way different to the other shows I saw on that tour.

Latest posts