What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9th Immortal

Freak - "a person with a unusual physical deformity". Sounds about right.

Can't forget his match losing performance against the Cowboys in the preliminary final last year. Two restarts out on the full leading to Cowboys tries.

Can't say that is an example of a future Immortal's form.

The kid was only 19 ffs.

Billy Slater was older than 19, playing for Australia, when he threw a pass in or near the in goal that led to a Benji Marshall try for New Zealand. Do people hold that against him in considering him for Immortal status?

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

Darren Lockyer was a poor defender. He couldn't tackle anyone bigger than himself.

I remember seeing Lockyer playing against France in 2004. Inside the Australian 20 metre line the big French second rower Jamal Fakir ran straight at Lockyer and knocked him flat on his back, before running over him to score a try for France. Afterwards Lockyer felt totally humiliated and unworthy, which was completely justified. He couldn't stop talking about the dangerous French No. 11.

Genuinely worthy Immortals were good defenders, like Andrew Johns, who was intimidated by nobody..

SBD82

Coach
NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

Darren Lockyer was a poor defender. He couldn't tackle anyone bigger than himself.

I remember seeing Lockyer playing against France in 2004. Inside the Australian 20 metre line the big French second rower Jamal Fakir ran straight at Lockyer and knocked him flat on his back, before running over him to score a try for France. Afterwards Lockyer felt totally humiliated and unworthy, which was completely justified. He couldn't stop talking about the dangerous French No. 11.

Genuinely worthy Immortals were good defenders, like Andrew Johns, who was intimidated by nobody..
This is a legitimate argument.

Why did you post it from your alt account?

Pig Hunter

Juniors
NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

Thanks for letting us all know Adam.

_Johnsy

Referee
I think the criteria was that they had to play at least 250 games for the club, Thurston did fit that. But yes the other one was rubbish, wonder if people recall Coffs Harbour, his drunken public behaviour resulting in him being arrested, his attacks on the integrity of the NRL and treatment of referees. A protected species if there ever was one.

Also those kids who I showed those pictures to were only preteens who would've aged between 8-13 so they wouldn't have remembered Thurston as a Bulldog or knew of it.
He was also arrested in Brisbane 2010

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Proof that being a long term club coach destroys your playing reputation. I reckon Stuart was better as a player than Daley and Clyde, and the equal of big Mal.
Stuart was exceptional from 1989 - 94,
Not kidding. The Raiders would not have won in 1990 without him, and in '93 went from leading the comp and premiership favouritism with one match to play, to out in straight sets after three straight floggings when Sticky was injured. The other three were still there. Sticky ran the side. He's a shit coach though.

None of them should be immortals, but Mal might get a look in. I'm thinking they'll go for Smith.
Of course if Clyde was made an immortal he'd step up to the mic and say "I don't deserve this, it should have been a Penrith player" like he did in 1991 in that mystery vision only you've seen right?

Knight Vision

First Grade
NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

Yep and it's a big reason why talk of Thurston as an immortal make me lol

TheFrog

Coach
Stuart was exceptional from 1989 - 94,

Of course if Clyde was made an immortal he'd step up to the mic and say "I don't deserve this, it should have been a Penrith player" like he did in 1991 in that mystery vision only you've seen right?
Exact words: "I feel a bit embarrassed winning this playing on the losing side but I'm still gonna take it". He did somewhat graciously go on to say that it was Penrith's day and quickly took his undeserved award and left the stage.

_Johnsy

Referee
Exact words: "I feel a bit embarrassed winning this playing on the losing side but I'm still gonna take it". I wouldn't have expected a Raiders supporter to have kept video of the 1991 GF. I'd reckon there are about 30 players from the same era ahead of Clyde in the immortal race. If Johns, from a later era, was chosen over all of them, I don't like his chances.
Agree Clyde is one of my all time favourites, but not even close to an immortal.

Reactions: Vee

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Exact words: "I feel a bit embarrassed winning this playing on the losing side but I'm still gonna take it". He did somewhat graciously go on to say that it was Penrith's day and quickly took his undeserved award and left the stage.
Let's have a look then.

Not sure I ever said he should be an immortal, that's more Moylan...

Oh thats, right.

JJ

Immortal
S
Of course if Clyde was made an immortal he'd step up to the mic and say "I don't deserve this, it should have been a Penrith player"

Col van der Voort was outstanding for a bit, but Clyde was better...

In all seriousness, Clyde was phenomenal for a while, as good as any lock has ever been

Latest posts