What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Scrutiny Nothing New For Hunt ; McGregor

r0_0_5315_3543_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

ALL EYES ON ME: Ben Hunt at Dragons training. Picture John Veage
IT’S a promoter’s dream match-up but Dragons coach Paul McGregor says his side’s clash with Brisbane on Thursday will be a fairly run-of-the-mill affair for new recruit Ben Hunt.

The match at Kogarah will officially ring in the new season and see Hunt face off against his former club in his first NRL outing as a Dragon.

It will ensure plenty of eyes will rest on his performance, but McGregor said the 27-year-old has been unfazed by the added scrutiny.

“Ben’s a pretty relaxed character,” McGregor said.

“He’ll handle the situation, there’s no doubt about that. He’s an experienced player, he’s played 180-plus games, so it’s just another game of footy for Ben.

“He’s looking forward to it, he’s playing against a lot of guys he grew up playing with and a coach [Wayne Bennett] that coached him for a long time.

“He’s excited about the game but, for us, it’s just about Ben executing the game plan. Everyone around him’s got to do their job as well.”

Adding to intrigue is the fact Hunt will also come up against young-gun Kodi Nikorima in the halves, the man who unseated him as Broncos halfback last season.

McGregor said he has picked his new No. 7’s brain ahead of the showdown, particularly in regards to Nikorima and former halves partner Anthony Milford

“We spoke about it, not only this week but leading up over a period of time,” McGregor said.

He’s an experienced player, he’s played 180-plus games, so it’s just another game of footy for Ben.

Paul McGregor
“He knows a lot about the opposition because he’d been there for such a long time and a lot of those guys he came through the 20s with.

“He’s given us a little bit of indication of what they’re about but they have probably changed a little bit. [Assistant coach] Kevvie [Walters] is coming in.

“Milford’s obviously a very special player and Darius [Boyd] is pretty important at the back to.

“Nikorima’s played a fair bit of halfback late in the year for them and he’s ready to tie down that 80-minute game consistently.

“Benny leaving paved the way for that, I’m just fortunate enough to have Benny at my club.”

While Hunt coming up against his former club would ordinarily grab most of the headlines, the build-up to Thursday’s game has been largely dominated by the NRL return of Brisbane prop Matt Lodge.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett on Wednesday blasted the media’s focus on Lodge so close to the start of a new season and McGregor echoed the sentiment.

“To us he’s just a player in an opposition jumper,” McGregor said.

“Whatever’s happened in the media around Matty Lodge has certainly got nothing to do with me. I’d rather put all my energy into what I need to do.

“Footy’s back on, we shouldn’t be talking about someone individually, we should be talking about rugby league and the excitement around the competition.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5269961/scrutiny-nothing-new-for-hunt-mcgregor/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons expect return on $6-million Hunt
16x9_small

Ben Hunt will make his St George Illawarra debut against his former NRL side Brisbane. (AAP)

Ben Hunt's importance at St George Illawarra will be clear from the moment the Dragons open the NRL season against Brisbane on Thursday night.

Updated Updated 26 mins ago

The time has come for Ben Hunt to deliver on his $6-million NRL deal with St George Illawarra.

The Dragons will kick off their new era on Thursday night in Kogarah and Hunt will run out against his former club Brisbane in the NRL season-opener to begin his five-year contract, which has an option for a sixth season.

Only the controversy surrounding the Broncos' Matt Lodge has stopped all the attention this week from being on Hunt and his replacement in Brisbane, Kodi Nikorima.

Hunt's deal kick-started last year's play-making merry-go-round and is the biggest in Dragons' history. However, the 27-year-old's importance to the club can't be understated given he'll end a 121-game wait for a recognised halfback at the club.

Not since Ben Hornby retired at the end of 2012 have Paul McGregor and his predecessors had a traditional and experienced halfback in their No.7 jersey.

Seven men have filled the jumper but the majority of them have been a mixture of five-eighths or better-known play-making utilities.

Benji Marshall played the most games (55) but he will long be regarded as a running five-eighth whose combination with Gareth Widdop never really took off.

Josh McCrone and Nathan Fien also spent just as much time at No.6, hookers or bench utilities as they have in the No.7 role.

"The halfback position was something we hadn't had at the club for a long time so that was our main priority," McGregor said.

"You don't like to lose players along the way like we have but I feel like our squad of 30 now is the best balance of the squad."

Hunt set up 102 tries for the Broncos after taking over their No.7 jersey in 2014 and has guided them to the finals in every year since.

His impact on the Dragons will be seen in not just his actions on the ball but the way he will be able to free up Widdop, who has an experienced organising half outside him for the first time since he paired with Cooper Cronk in Melbourne.

The duo impressed in the Dragons' two pre-season trials without setting the world on fire but McGregor is confident they're ready for Thursday night's clash at Jubilee Oval.

Hunt also has the backing of Wayne Bennett, who said the club had no choice but to let him go following the monster-sized deal from the Dragons last year.

But the master coach expected his former general would have no issues living up to the pressure and expectation of the contract.

"The expectation is so high here (at Brisbane), so he is used to expectation, I don't think it would worry him at all," Bennett said.

"Ben can deliver on all that. I don't think it is something he should worry about."

STATS THAT MATTER

* Brisbane have won 12 of the past 13 matches between the teams.

* The Dragons have won 10 of their last 12 matches at Kogarah.

* Matt Lodge will play his first NRL match since June 2015 for Brisbane.

Source: AAP

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons increase Sydney presence to reduce travel toll
Send via Email
St George Illawarra plan to shift more training sessions to Sydney in a bid to alleviate travel stress on a larger number of their players living in the city and arrest a worrying trend of second half fade-outs.

Coach Paul McGregor wants the Dragons to have a minimum of one session a week up the Princes Highway, and away from their traditional Wollongong base, given a larger proportion of the squad is based in Sydney this year.

It comes as McGregor tries to rectify St George Illawarra's tendency last year to surrender half-time leads, with several squad members spending up to 12 hours a week travelling to and from training - perhaps the toughest non-match-related commute in the NRL.

Recruits Ben Hunt and James Graham are among a host of Dragons players, including Jason Nightingale and Tyson Frizell, who have hired a bus to travel between Sydney and Wollongong each day for training.

McGregor said he would tailor the squad's training around those players instead of placing the travel burden exclusively on them because of their living arrangements.

"We've definitely talked about it," McGregor said. "We're aiming to get one session in a week, which will break up the travel a lot, and it's about getting the facility we need at the time we need it. It's about fitting in what we can.

Logistically our guys do a fair bit of travelling and at some stage you can get a bit of wear and a bit of tiredness around that travel.

Paul McGregor
"Logistically, our guys do a fair bit of travelling and, at some stage, you can get a bit of wear and a bit of tiredness around that travel. Half of the guys live in Sydney and half live in Wollongong. We've got a training base here in Wollongong. [The Sydney] guys spend 12 hours a week in the car and it can be fatiguing.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dragons-sydney-travel-nrl-mcgregor-distance-20180305-p4z2wm.html

getsmarty

Immortal
frizellt-17022433.jpg

FEATURE

The role McGregor played in helping Frizell
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 7 Mar 2018, 08:00 PM

Tyson Frizell wants to repay Paul McGregor for assisting him to overcome self-doubts about his ability by helping the St George Illawarra coach avenge the heartbreak of the 1999 grand final.

Frizell was seven years old at the time and remembers being in tears when the Dragons, who were captained by McGregor, lost the premiership decider 20-18 after Melbourne Storm winger Craig Smith was awarded a 78th-minute penalty try.

''It would be awesome to win a premiership with the Dragons, it would mean a lot to me because I grew up in Wollongong and supported the Steelers, and then the Dragons when they came in,'' Frizell told NRL.com.

''I remember sitting on my beanbag at home watching the grand final, Melbourne versus the Dragons, when Mary [McGregor] was the captain. I was a bit teary seeing them lose after the penalty try for a high tackle at the end.

''It's funny watching guys like him when you are a kid, and now he is the coach.''

The 26-year-old credits McGregor for guiding his rise in recent seasons to the NSW Origin and Australian teams.

There are few players in the NRL who had never been selected in a junior representative team and Frizell admits he has had doubts about his ability after failing to win over selectors during his younger days.

frizellt-17022411.jpg

Dragons, NSW and Test forward Tyson Frizell. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
As a teenage forward for Corrimal Cougars, his greatest source of encouragement was the success of Ben Hornby, who captained the Dragons to the joint venture's only premiership in 2010 and is a member of McGregor's coaching staff.

''He had come from the Cougars and he was playing first grade so that made me think one day I could do that,'' Frizell said. ''It's funny because his parents only lived up the road and whenever I would go past there I would say that’s Ben Hornby's parent's house.

''At that age, it was good to know it was achievable for a guy from my local club to make a career out of footy.''

Since McGregor took over midway through the 2014 season, Frizell has thrived and he is now an established member of the Blues and Kangaroos teams. He will be one of the key Dragons players in Thursday night’s NRL season opener against Brisbane Broncos.

McGregor's influence was why Frizell never wanted to consider approaches from rival clubs in 2016 before accepting a contract extension with the Dragons until the end of the 2020 season.

''Mary has helped me a lot and that is a reason I stuck around and re-signed when things weren't going well for the club,'' Frizell said.

''I saw potential in what we had as a squad and I had been playing my best footy under him and my best footy at the Dragons so there was no reason for me to leave.''

Specifically, he said, McGregor had given him confidence in his ability and convinced him he had the potential to be one of the leading forwards in the game.

''Playing footy you can be very doubtful in your ability but I guess he can see a lot of things in me that I don't,'' Frizell said.

“He has let me know that I can be one of the best players on the field when I am on my game and he drives me week in and week out to do that.

''Hopefully I can keep getting better as a player and I can stay at the Dragons as long as I can.''

Frizell's wife Samantha, whom he married in December, has also provided ongoing support as he has battled to overcome surgery and lengthy rehabilitation stints for injuries.

With her encouragement, Frizell has almost completed a diploma of small business and is looking to start a building certificate.

''In areas where I need help or need driving, she gives me that kick in the arse but she knows how tough rugby league can be mentally,'' he said.

PREVIEW: Dragons v Broncos

''Footy doesn't last that long and I guess you can get stuck in that rugby league bubble but once your career finishes it bursts and you are back into the real world.

''All we have known our whole lives is to play footy and to work hard and do things right so that you can play week in and week out, and then you need to transition to something else when you are in your early 30s or late 30s.

''Most people are established in their careers then and we are just starting. It is tough so it is good to have your wife or partner there to support you.''

Before then, Frizell has goals he wants to achieve in the game and he is confident the addition of halfback Ben Hunt will ensure the Dragons are a premiership force this season and in coming seasons.

As the right-edge backrower, Frizell is set to play alongside Hunt and he said their one game together in the Charity Shield had already given him an insight into how the former Broncos playmaker would benefit his game.

frizellt-17022432.jpg

Dragons back-rower Tyson Frizell. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
''I was pretty excited to find out he was coming here long term,'' Frizell said of Hunt, who has signed a five-year deal with the Dragons. ''In the time I have been here, I think I have played with seven different halfbacks and they have pretty much all been on my edge.

''Sometimes the role of a backrower is to look after your halfback but he doesn’t need too much of that from me. Not many halfbacks would have been able to transition into the middle the way he did last year [at hooker] so he is a tough bugger, who can tackle and he organises the team really well.

''Also with his running game, he is able to take the line on really well and that makes my job a lot easier when I am carrying the ball and he is taking defenders off me.

''I think last year we lost about seven games by close margins so having another X-factor in our team like Ben can probably provide a couple of wins this season. If we do that we should play finals footy.''

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/07...aul-mcgregor-played-in-helping-tyson-frizell/

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-17022420-1.jpg

NRL NEWS

NRL Podcast: Jamie Soward on Hunt and the Dragons
Author
Zac Bailey
Timestamp
Wed 7 Mar 2018, 07:58 PM

Jamie Soward knows what it takes to win a Telstra Premiership with the St George Illawarra Dragons. He thinks big-name signing Ben Hunt can do the same – just not this year.

Hunt signed a multi-million-dollar contract to leave Brisbane and join the Dragons until at least the end of 2022.

''It's going to take time,'' Soward told the NRL Podcast.

''The thing I like about Ben Hunt is he's a game manager. [He] comes there with a big price tag, big expectations from Dragons fans.''

Soward also gives his theory on who should play fullback for Parramatta, who he thinks is the team beat in 2018 and who will be the winners in round one.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/07...rly-pitfalls-facing-ben-hunt-and-the-dragons/

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL preview: St George Illawarra Dragons need to let Ben Hunt play his own style, says Andrew Johns
http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F08%2F15%2F17%2F06%2Fmel.jpg
By Melanie Dinjaski
6 hours ago
http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F03%2F07%2F16%2F36%2Fhuntalfie_env.jpg

The St George Illawarra Dragons have a lot of improvement to do if they're to be a force in the 2018 season, says Nine NRL commentator Andrew Johns.

While coach Paul McGregor has said the current squad is among the best he's ever coached at the Dragons, Johns says their pre-season form suggested there's still a lot of work to do.

"I saw them play Hull, I thought they were really poor that game and then I watched the Charity Shield, and the Rabbitohs didn't have their best team in and the Rabbitohs smoked 'em," Johns said.

Johns says the major focus for the club has to be allowing $6 million new recruit Ben Hunt to play to his preferred style.

"I have got a problem with the way the Dragons are playing with their attack," Johns said.

"Ben Hunt is a runner of the ball and I compare him when he plays at his best he is exactly the same as the Broncos greatest ever halfback Allan Langer.

"Allan Langer wasn't the best passer or the best kicker, but running the ball off a quick play-the-ball he terrorised opposition forwards.

"Get Alfie trying to ball play and play like Cooper Cronk, it would have been awful.

"First two games I watched Ben Hunt, he didn't play to his strengths at all. He was going to the line and trying to play that Cronk sort of play, playing those out the back plays which doesn't suit his style.

"He's there under a lot of pressure this year. We all know he's on huge money and expectation for him to carry the Dragons forward. I think they have to let him play his natural game. What I saw in the first two games worried me."

Inside ‘Tonya’ the Dragons bus
Play Video
Inside ‘Tonya’ the Dragons bus
Johns also cited some concerns over English veteran James Graham's prospects this season, and said they will feel the loss of another front rower in the off-season.

"At one stage he [Graham] was one of the best front-rowers in the game. But you're only born on this rugby league earth to have so many bumps. So I don't know how much petrol is left in the tank for James.

"I hope he proves me wrong but he is getting on and he has to do a lot of the tough work up front.

"I think a huge loss for the Dragons has been Russell Packer. He was their big strong man in the pack."

The Dragons will be without Josh Dugan this year too, after the NRL star signed with Cronulla. But Johns is confident young up-and-coming players Matt Dufty and Jai Field will be able to pick up the slack.

"Will be interesting to see how they use these young players at the back, whether they free them up and let them play off off-loads, to use their speed and evasion or they just purely use them on these set plays," Johns said.

For the ninth Immortal it all equates to a tough year for the Dragons, still needing time to gel and having lost some key names. He doesn't believe it will make them a finals contender this season.

"I haven't got them in the eight," Johns said.

"I think there's six certainties to make the eight and there's a lot of teams scrapping for that seventh and eighth position, I just can't see the Dragons being there."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/03/07/15/03/nrl-news-st-george-illawarra-dragons-2018-season-preview

getsmarty

Immortal
Beyond the deal: The extraordinary lengths Dragons went to for $1m man Ben Hunt
NRL Premiership
NzMyMDE4MjF8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWRpYS5mb3hzcG9ydHMuY29tLmF1L2FydGljbGUvaGVhZHNob3RzL25hdGhhbl9yeWFuLmpwZ3w3MzIwMTgyMQ==

NzMyMDE4MjF8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvY2ZjYzdiM2Q5YThkN2M2MmViZmEzZWMwOTQ0ZjcwYjl8NzMyMDE4MjE=

Ben Hunt of the Dragons in action.Source: AAP
IT ALL started with a jetski. Or so they say.

Paul McGregor coach pulls up to a beach in Wollongong to meet with his potential marquee signing for the first time while riding on his watercraft.

It’s a story you’ve heard before, from St George Illawarra recruitment boss Ian Millward on the Market Watch podcast. But if you ask Ben Hunt, it’s nothing but a tall tale.

“Just about every player at training has asked me that question and it’s not true,” Hunt said of the jetski story.

NzMyMDE4MjF8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZm94c3BvcnRzLmNvbS5hdS9wbWQvaW1hZ2VzLzIwMTgvMDMvMDcvNjY4MjExXzY0MHgzNjBfbGFyZ2VfMjAxODAzMDcxODI5MDIuanBnfDczMjAxODIx

Why Hunt will fire in 2018

1:14
The line between fact and fiction here is irrelevant, because the more interesting and important story involves what happened next.

After Hunt inked his six-year, $1-million-a-season contract, the Dragons went to great lengths welcome their new halfback and leader into the Red V family. That relationship started in January last year when Jason Nightingale sent Hunt a text a few days after he’d signed his deal for 2018.

It was a link to real-estate listings in the Sutherland area.

Having met Hunt only on a handful of occasions, Nightingale had his greatest interaction with the former Brisbane playmaker in 2015 when Hunt was part of the small business course he runs for athletes.

“I knew him a little bit and texted him when he signed and even leading up to it,” Nightingale told foxsports.com.au.

“When he signed I said congratulations and he was excited to be coming to us.

“I sent him a few properties to look at. Being a long-term deal, I coerced him into living in Sydney. His wife was keen on that and helped there.

NzMyMDE4MjF8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZm94c3BvcnRzLmNvbS5hdS9wbWQvaW1hZ2VzLzIwMTgvMDMvMDcvNjY4MTcxXzY0MHgzNjBfbGFyZ2VfMjAxODAzMDcxMjE5NDQuanBnfDczMjAxODIx

Hunt leaking Broncos secrets?

“As soon as he came down we caught up. He was pretty close with Benji Marshall and we still remain friends.”

Nightingale wasn’t alone in making contact with the Dragons chief.

His wife reached out to Hunt’s wife Bridget as did Tyson Frizell’s wife who sent flowers to their Brisbane home.

It was the start of a relationship which saw Frizell and Hunt grow close while part of the Kangaroos squad in the World Cup.

With Hunt settling in the Shire, weekends are spent with his teammates and their partners on breakfast dates. Even babysitting.

“He’s got a son two months younger than my daughter. She’s 16 months and Brady’s 14 months,” Nightingale said.

“I baby sat Brady the other day. Little things like that. I’m sure we’ll return the favour dropping my daughter off one day soon. That sort of things does help with not having close family around.”

The players’ hitting it off was inevitable but what about the coach and his staff?

Before Hunt joined Mal Meninga’s Australian team, McGregor and Milward made a secret trip to Brisbane to talk tactics.

Over lunch the coach told the 27-year-old the team was his and spent the next few hours discussing how Hunt wants the side to play.

NzMyMDE4MjF8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvZjZjYzYwMDM5NTMwMmUzZmZiMmJlMGMxNjkzNzU1MGZ8NzMyMDE4MjE=

Ben Hunt of the Dragons catches the ball.Source: Getty Images
It was during this meeting the 2018 planning started.

“We just had a little chat over lunch,” Hunt said.

“We talked about the team and what team we’ve got with me and what he expects me to bring to the team. A bit of leadership and direction, being a halfback he wants someone to direct the team around and have a big impact on games.

“We talked about different players and what we can achieve this year.”

For a few weeks Hunt put the Dragons out of his mind while he got married and focused on pulling on the green and gold.

After claiming the World Cup, Hunt and his family left Brisbane for Sydney.

That’s when Hunt’s former Broncos teammate Benji Marshall stepped in.

Having spent three years at the Dragons, Marshall is still close to several players including Nightingale. It’s through this mutual friendship that a winger and half have become inseparable.

“Benji’s great like that,” Nightingale said.

“We organised to meet up for a feed. Benji and his wife and Ben came around for Christmas for a bit to say hello and have a beer.

“I don’t have any family over here and Ben was away from his family so it’s important to have a bit of community.

“Then straight into a car pool full of peer pressure with myself, Tyson, Jeremy Latimore and James Graham. It’s helped him feel more comfortable.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=365a0a949f86f90c2de82cb7c31c115d-1520458125

getsmarty

Immortal
Marshall the middle man to Hunt and Widdop

Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop made contact with Benji Marshall to discuss how they'd combine before the ex-Brisbane half's NRL arrival at St George Illawarra.

Updated Updated 4 hours ago

St George Illawarra halves Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop revealed how Benji Marshall played a match-making role between the pair last season.

Widdop and Marshall combined for the Dragons for two-and-a-half seasons on the latter's return to the NRL from rugby union.

He then shifted to Brisbane last season, where he played alongside Hunt at the Broncos as Wayne Bennett rotated his halves around the pair, along with Anthony Milford and Kodi Nikorima.

Hunt will on Thursday night play his first match for the Dragons, kicking off a $6 million deal which could last for as long as six seasons.

But he said he made of talking to Marshall, in particular about how he would combine with Widdop, before signing the deal.

"I had little chats with Benji about it. He had nothing but good things to say about the place," Hunt told AAP.

"I mainly asked him about the players. What different guys were like.

"I definitely asked him about Gareth.

"He's one of the biggest players in the team. He's the captain and he leads the boys around.

"He only had good things to say."

Hunt's arrival should be a boost to Widdop, given he has been without a recognised high-profile halfback since he arrived at the Dragons in 2014.

Since then, he's played with seven No.7s, however, the majority of which have been five-eighths wearing the halfback's jersey.

And the England international said he too had made contact with Marshall, who will play his first game back at the Wests Tigers this weekend, to find out what Hunt was like before his arrival.

"... he said he's going to be good for the team," Widdop said.

"He said he's pretty laid back, not too much affects him.

"Obviously he's coming to a big club as a halfback coming to the Dragons, I don't think that'll bother him.

"He'll just let his football do the talking."

Source: AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/marshall-the-middle-man-to-hunt-and-widdop

getsmarty

Immortal
bremner-and-apps-17120272-2.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Apps, Bremner named in Top 40 elite women
Author
NRL Media Release
Timestamp
Thu 8 Mar 2018, 01:01 AM

The NRL has announced the inaugural 40 elite female rugby league players based in Australia, who will represent the game as marquee NRL players in 2018.

Each player will have the opportunity to participate in various matches and high-performance training camps, as well as undertaking various ambassador activities to promote the game throughout the season.

Players will also be under the guidance of full-time coaching, medical and high-performance staff throughout the year.

Senior Manager of the NRL Women’s Elite Program, Tiffany Slater said the inaugural list of elite players have a huge opportunity to continue to shape the next chapter of women’s rugby league.

''Women's rugby league has come a long way in a relatively short amount of time and collectively, we have a long way to go,'' Ms Slater said.

''I congratulate and commend the first 40 players on their selection in the elite squad for 2018 and in doing so, securing their position at the top of their game.

''These women will not only have the opportunity to play as part of our Origin and Test matches, but they will be a part of State competitions, the National Championship and a Premiership competition later this year.''

NRL Elite Programs Manager, Brad Donald said it was a tough decision to arrive at the top 40 players and confirmed that the goal was to see the number of elite players rise in the future.

''The reality is, there are more than 40 players throughout Australia and many more in New Zealand and throughout the Pacific Islands that are playing fantastic rugby league – up to national and international standard,'' Mr Donald said.

''The enthusiasm, commitment and positive attitude of every single player attending the women's training camp on the Gold Coast last month, as well as many more women playing in local league competitions, fills me with great confidence that this will be a fantastic year for women’s rugby league, with a big future ahead.''

The top 40 players will head into camp in Sydney this weekend to continue preparations for the domestic and international season ahead.

2018 elite Australian NRL squad: Jasmin Allende – Redfern (NSW), Kezie Apps – Helensburgh (NSW), Chelsea Baker – Gladstone (QLD), Heather Ballinger – Souths (QLD), Annette Brander – Beerwah (QLD), Brittany Breayley – Ipswich Brothers (QLD), Sam Bremner – Helensburgh (NSW), Ali Brigginshaw – Ipswich Brothers (QLD), Karina Brown – Brisbane Easts (QLD), Nakia Davis-Welsh – Redfern (NSW), Vanessa Foliaki – Brisbane Easts (QLD), Jayme Fressard – North Newcastle (NSW), Talisha Harden – Inala (QLD), Kate Haren – Cairns (QLD), Kylie Hilder – North-Newcastle (NSW), Rikeya Horne – Corrimal (NSW), Kody House – Ipswich Brothers (QLD), Isabelle Kelly – North Newcastle (NSW), Chelsea Lenarduzzi – Burleigh (QLD), Asipau Mafi – Aspley Devils (QLD), Corban McGregor – Cronulla Caringbah (NSW), Caitlin Moran – North Newcastle (NSW), Rona Peters – Burleigh (QLD), Lavina O’Mealey – Redfern (NSW), Talesha Quinn – Cronulla-Caringbah (NSW), Jessica Sergis – Cronulla-Caringbah (NSW), Taleena Simon – Redfern (NSW), Ruan Sims – Cronulla Caringbah (NSW), CJ Sims – Ipswich Brothers (QLD), Amie Solomona – Brisbane Easts (QLD), Moriah Simon – Australian Defence Force Team (QLD), Shontelle Stowers – Cronulla Caringbah (NSW), Maddie Studdon – Redfern (NSW), Simaima Taufa – Mounties (NSW), Zahara Temara – Burleigh (QLD), Tahlulah Tillet – Cairns (QLD), Elianna Walton – Greenacre (NSW), Sarah Walker – Beerwah (QLD), Meg Ward – Australian Defence Force Team (NT), Rebecca Young – North Newcastle (NSW).

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/03/08/apps-bremner-named-in-top-40-elite-women/

getsmarty

Immortal
Match preview: St George Illawarra Dragons vs Brisbane Broncos
By David Middleton
5 hours ago

Channel Nine rugby league expert David Middleton previews the season opener between the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Brisbane Broncos.

New outfit, old look
Englishman James Graham won't look out of place wearing the Red V in the season opener against the Broncos. After all, it's not far removed from the red and white of England and it is the same colour scheme that he wore with distinction for St Helens in 195 Super League games.

Graham joins a select group of forwards from the Old Dart to don the Red V. In the 1960s Irishman Robin Gourley and Englishman Dick Huddart were premiership winners with the Dragons, while Mike Cooper was a recent import from Warrington (69 games, 2014-16).

The burning question surrounding Graham is how much juice does he have left in the tank after 330 top grade games for St Helens and Canterbury and another 44 Tests for England and Great Britain?

There is no questioning Graham's desire and enthusiasm but his ability to be effective at 32 and after so much football could make or break the Dragons' season.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F02%2F28%2F08%2F15%2FGraham_280218_a_env.jpg

Hunt the hunted
The Dragons' other big-name import, halfback Ben Hunt, will be expecting an excess of attention from his former team-mates. Hunt was a mainstay for the Broncos for almost a decade, figuring in 187 top grade games before his big-money move in the off-season.

The Dragons are counting on Hunt to forge a powerful halves partnership with skipper Gareth Widdop and ensure that the team's attacking game can achieve a new level of consistency in 2018. The Dragons ‘ attacking record improved in 2017 but the gap between their best and worst performances proved alarmingly wide.

Broncos question marks
It seems that the Broncos will take some time to produce their best football in 2018.

Off-season recruit Jack Bird is a week or two away from an all-clear to play after shoulder surgery; hooker Andrew McCullough is on the comeback from ACL surgery while nagging hamstring trouble continued to dog fullback Darius Boyd through the off-season.

Kiwi international Jordan Kahu spent minimal time in the centres last season with James Roberts and Tautau Moga locking down both positions for almost the entire campaign but will play on the left until Bird is ready to resume.

Quirky hat-trick beckons for Kahu
Former Parramatta fullback Brett Hodgson performed a neat trick in 2001 when he scored the first and last tries of the premiership season but Brisbane's Jordan Kahu could outstrip him for quirkiness if he manages to score the first try this Thursday night.

It would mean that the 27-year-old Kiwi would have scored the opening try of the season three years in a row. Kahu crossed first in the 2016 season opener for the Broncos against the Eels at Pirtek Stadium and he did the same last year for Brisbane against Cronulla at Southern Cross Group Stadium.

The hoodoo
The Broncos have had the measure of the Dragons over a lengthy period, managing 12 victories from the past 13 encounters.

Several Brisbane players boast imposing win-loss records against the Red V, including Josh McGuire (10/11) and Matt Gillett (11/13), while the opposite applies for long-term Dragons' players against the Broncos, such as winger Jason Nightingale (4/16) and prop Leeson Ah Mau (2/11).

An exception to the rule is Broncos fullback Darius Boyd, whose winning record against St George Illawarra stands at a meagre 31 per cent (4/13).

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F01%2F19%2F11%2F16%2Fdboyd_env.jpg

The Bennett record
Until the past few seasons, supercoach Wayne Bennett boasted a disastrous record in this contest.

It has improved on the strength of four straight victories since 2015 but from the past 19 Dragons-Broncos clashes, Bennett has finished on the winning side just six times.

His record against Paul McGregor is more favourable to the veteran mentor, with a win-loss count standing at 5-1 in Bennett ‘s favour.

All eyes on Dufty
Good judges at St George Illawarra rate diminutive fullback Matt Dufty a superstar in the making.

And if the 22-year-old can carry his try scoring prowess from the Holden Cup into the NRL, he will be something to watch.

Dufty equalled the all-time try scoring record in the now defunct national under-20s competition, with 54 tries from 65 games.

Picking a winner
Several factors favour the Dragons in this showdown, including the advantage that comes with playing before a vocal crowd at the spiritual home of the Red V.

The Dragons were fast starters last season and have added creativity in the halves and speed at the back.

The Broncos, with question marks over the fitness of Boyd and McCullough and with Bird unavailable, look to be a few weeks away from playing their best football. This is a chance for the Dragons to draw first blood.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/03/08...illawarra-dragons-vs-brisbane-broncos-round-1

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt stars in first Dragons win
Local Sport
r0_0_2800_2109_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOUGH STUFF: Paul Vaughan comes to grips with the Broncos defence. Picture: AAP

THE 14457 fans who filed into to Jubilee Oval for Thursday’s NRL season-opener arrived with plenty of questions.

How would Ben Hunt fare in his first outing against his former club? What reception would Matt Lodge get from fans in his NRL return? What can the Red V faithful expect from their side in 2018?

The answer to all three questions came in the 50th minute minute when Hunt latched onto a wayward pass from Lodge and raced 45 metres to score and take a 16-6 lead for his side.

It was the low point of a forgettable night for Lodge, who was flattened by Tyson Frizell on his first carry and booed mercilessly with his every touch.

He raised his first cheer when he spilled the ball cold in the 15th minute. The only relief for the Lodge was that he got game one out of the way. Dragons coach Paul McGregor was probably thinking the same thing after his side opened their account with a 34-12 win.

The intercept was part of Hunt’s emphatic answer to question number one after he laid on Tyson Frizell’s 28th minute try with a deft grubber from dummy-half and put Gareth Widdop over with another kick, only for his skipper to be ruled offside.

It was a standout performance Dragons coach Paul McGregor said came as no surprise.

“I thought both our halves really dominated the game which is good,” McGregor said.

“Those two [Hunt and Widdop] are going to work well together. They’re going to be better as they play more footy.

“If you look at Gareth and Ben, Ben’s a genuine [number] seven and Gareth’s a genuine six. Gareth’s bottomless talent and he likes to play instinctive footy whereas, when you wear the seven, you’ve got to execute a game plan and a kicking game.

“Ben likes to go to the game like Gareth so you’ve got two competitive players on the football field. I think they complement each other really well and that was just the start of something we can build over the year.”

in an at times scrappy affair, especially where the visitors were concerned, completing at just 50 per cent in the opening stanza. The hosts were slightly better at 75 per cent, but it was enough to lead 10-2 at halftime on the back of Frizell’s try and two penalty goals to Widdop.

The Broncos could manage just Anthony Milford’s eighth-minute penalty goal in response with Corey Oates’ disallowed try in the 22nd minute their only foray into the Dragons in-goal in the opening 40.

It didn’t take them long to breakthrough in the second however, with James Roberts crossing seven minutes after the resumption to get his side back within four.

Hunt’s 50th minute dash and Euan Aitken’s barge-over effort nine minutes later looked enough to seal the result. Roberts’ second four-pointer gave the Broncos a sniff down the stretch at 24-12 before tries to Jack de Belin and Jason Nightingale in the 73rd and 78th minute put paid to any comeback.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5274040/hunt-stars-in-first-dragons-win/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Mary realistic after victory
Local Sport
r1004_0_5315_3543_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

JUBILANT: Dragons players celebrate with red v faithful. Picture John Veage

‘Oh when the Saints’ rang out loudly at Jubilee Oval on Thursday following the Dragons 22-point win over Brisbane, but coach Paul McGregor isn’t singing just yet.

The Dragons opened the season in similarly impressive fashion in 2017 with a 42-10 win over Penrith at the same venue. It was part of a 6-1 start to season before dramatically missing the finals.

It meant McGregor was quick to cite the long-game following his side’s win over the Broncos

“I think we got the Broncs at the right time,” he said.

“Their nine [Andrew McCullough] was coming off a knee reco, [Matt] Lodge hasn’t played a lot footy for a few years, [Jack] Bird, [Anthony] Milford was coming off half a trial and a shoulder-reco so it was a good opportunity for us to start well at home.

“We’ve got to go away and learn from what we did well and also improve what we didn’t do so well and look forward to playing Cronulla [on Thursday] because it’s a local derby.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5275529/mary-realistic-after-victory/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Bronco Jaydn Su’a could miss two matches over sickening hit on Dragons prop Paul Vaughan
DAVID CAMPBELL, The Daily Telegraph
March 9, 2018 12:02pm
BRONCOS young gun Jaydn Su’a has been charged by the NRL judiciary for his cheap shot on Dragons prop Paul Vaughan in last night’s season opener.

Vaughan was left vomiting on the field after Su’a shoulder charged the Red V big man off the ball in the 76th minute of the Dragons 34-12 win.

Vaughan was approaching the Broncos defensive line expecting a pass from Ben Hunt when the Dragons halfback opted to go elsewhere.

c05298d1d8bb8933a621c13cd829c8e8

Paul Vaughan vomits on the field after being shoulder charged.
Vaughan was watching the ball as he eased off his run and was completely blindsided when Su’a dropped his shoulder right into the middle of Vaughan’s chest.

Vaughan vomited on the field before staggering to the sideline and vomiting again.

Su’a and the Broncos must challenge — and beat — the judiciary’s grade one charge otherwise he could miss up to two matches.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/9258475f4c76c4f7eaaf6863d23cb7ac

getsmarty

Immortal
New era for Dragons begins in Wollongong
Dragons Den News
r0_0_5184_3348_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NEW DAWN: St George Illawarra ISP players Mitch Allgood, James Hasson and Darren Nicholls at WIN Stadium. Picture: Robert Peet
IF you’re a half looking for an NRL opportunity, a club that’s invested north of $10 million dollars on a marquee combination might not be top of the list.

It did nothing, however, to deter Darren Nicholls from shifting to Wollongong, on a two-year deal no less.

The 28-year-old will make his ISP debut for the club on Saturday, fresh off steering a Garth Brennan-coached Penrith outfit to a state cup double-crown last season.

The Holy Cross Rhinos product knew he’d be behind Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop in a stacked pecking order, but insists he remains ready for that elusive NRL debut however the opportunity arises.

“The club liked what I do and I really like the direction the club is going in,” Nicholls said.

“Obviously Gaz and Hunty are two great halves but I’m just going to do my job in ISP for my side and see where we go from there.

“You don’t know when it’s going to happen, or if it’s going to happen, so you just need to stay positive and play the best footy you can whatever grade you’re playing in.

“That’s what I’ll be doing. If the [NRL] opportunity comes I’d love to do it but if they’re still in [first grade] it’s what’s best for the team so we’ll just see how the year plays out.”

Nicholls has had stints in fulltime squads fro Wests Tigers, South Sydney and Brisbane. While he’s yet to debut at NRL level, he’s confident team success in the ISP is the best chance for any player to make the leap

“Sometimes it does get frustrating but I’m just a bloke who loves my footy,” Nicholls said.

“Last year was good for me when we won the the ISP and, the way I look at it, if you’re going to playing in the ISP, you want to be playing your best and you want your team to be winning.

“That’s the message I give to the boys, especially the boys coming up from 20s. If you’re going to be in reserve grade you want to be winning.”

His time at the Broncos saw him train alongside Hunt meaning he jumped at the opportunity to link with him again this season.

“When I went to the Broncos halfway through 2014 Benny was there so we’ve been mates for a while now,” Nicholls said.

“He’s a great guy so it was good to link up with him. He came in a bit later after the World Cup but that familiar face makes the transition a bit easier.”

Saturday’s double-header at WIN Stadium will see both of the club’s lower grade sides play under the St George Illawarra banner for the first time since 2007.

It follows the abolition of the NYC and the return to the state-based Jersey Flegg competition at under 20s level. Nicholls believes the restructure has brought out the best in the squad

“We’ve done great opposed sessions and everyone’s pushed each other for positions,” Nicholls said.

“It’s great we’re playing next week [against Cronulla] on the Thursday night before first grade and there’ll be a lot of other times we do that.

“I think that’s going to be good for the ISP competition and the club as a whole.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5275096/new-era-for-dragons-begins-in-wollongong/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Graham welcomes Lodge on and off NRL field
Author
Timestamp
Fri 9 Mar 2018, 05:02 PM

After leading a pack which had set out to make Matt Lodge’s return on Thursday night one he would prefer to forget, St George Illawarra Dragons prop James Graham took time out to welcome the controversial Brisbane Broncos forward back to the NRL.

Lodge, who was making his first Telstra Premiership appearance since being arrested at gunpoint by New York police after a violent rampage in 2015, received a hostile reception from Dragons fans, who booed his every involvement.

As soon as the game was over, Graham approached Lodge and told him he was pleased to see the former Melbourne Storm and Wests Tigers prop back in the game.

"That was a personal thing between me and Matt,” Graham said. “For what it is worth I am pleased that he is back.

"I think he has served his ban, he seems like he has turned the corner and our game shouldn’t turn its back on someone who has made a mistake.

"This game helps people with some tendencies and characteristics to make their lives and lives of the people around them better.

"People can debate it but let’s move on, let's focus on the game. People are entitled to have their opinions and say whatever they want. If the fans want to boo then that is their right to do that. We live in a free society and if you want to boo, go ahead and boo.”

Dragons 34-12 Broncos

Asked if he had targeted Lodge for special treatment, Graham said: “We both play in the middle so you are bound to run into each other from time to time out there."

However, lock Jack de Belin said the Dragons forwards had wanted to take advantage of the fact Lodge had little previous NRL experience and hadn’t played at that level for more than two years.

"It wasn’t spoken about but it was his first game back in two years so obviously, we wanted to ruffle a few feathers and put him off his game," he said.

"You can see that he is big and strong so as the games go on I think he is going to be pretty good for the Broncos."

Graham believes Lodge will "only get better and better”.

“He is obviously very tall, he runs the ball hard and doesn’t show much fear. He is a big boy and at 22 [years old] time is on his side to get better.”

Meanwhile, Graham said coach Paul McGregor and the players realised they would need to improve to record a second win against the Cronulla Sharks next Thursday night.

"It is pleasing to get the win but it is a long season," Graham said. "The building blocks are there and there is a lot for us to work on but there is a lot for us to work with as well."

lodgem-183831r-.jpg

Broncos prop Matt Lodge.
Graham was impressed by the starring performance of the club’s other big off-season recruit, Ben Hunt, who scored a 45-metre intercept try and laid on another against his former club.

"I thought he was great. It was a huge, huge play to come out and take the intercept," Graham said. "I thought his kicking game as well was good and for me, as a middle, he told us what to do.

"Hats off to him because to play your first game at a new club and not only that, but to play against your former team-mates, there is a lot of excuses he could have used to not play well and he didn’t take that."

Asked if the Broncos would miss Hunt this season, Graham said: "I think they have replaced him very well but Ben Hunt is up there with the best halfbacks in the competition. I guess the answer, without twisting it, is yes."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/09...l-welcome-to-matt-lodge-on-and-off-nrl-field/

getsmarty

Immortal
de-belinj-1803032.jpg

DRAGONS

Hunt and De Belin stake early Origin claims
Author
Timestamp
Fri 9 Mar 2018, 06:38 PM

As Jack de Belin talked up his NSW Origin credentials in the St George Illawarra Dragons dressing room after Thursday night’s season-opening win against Brisbane, Queensland coach Kevin Walters was waiting by the door to speak with Ben Hunt.

The first match of the Telstra Premiership had not long finished but State of Origin is never far from the minds of players, fans and the media, and both de Belin and Hunt staked timely claims as Walters and his NSW counterpart Brad Fittler were watching on at Jubilee Oval.

While Walters was there in his capacity as Broncos assistant coach, he visited the Dragons dressing room and talked with Hunt for several minutes before leaving the ground.

Undoubtedly he would have been impressed by the performance of the new Dragons halfback, who told NRL.com before the match that he hopes to win the Maroons No.7 jersey made vacant by the representative retirements of Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston.

Fittler, who was part of Channel Nine’s commentary team, would have also liked what he saw from de Belin, who was 18th man for the Blues last year and declared himself ready to make the step up to Origin.

''My game is suited to Origin and I feel like I would add a lot to the Blues,'' de Belin said.

''Obviously with Freddy as coach now there is a new wave coming through and I want to be a part of it.''

de-belinj-try-183852.jpg

Dragons back-rower Jack de Belin. :copyright:NRL/Photos
At 27-years-of-age and with more than 130 NRL games under his belt, de Belin knows it is time to take his game to the next level. He led the way for the Dragons on Thursday night by making 32 tackles and running 126 metres with the ball.

''I feel like I am at the perfect age now where I know my game and I feel very comfortable with that,'' de Belin said.

With James Graham, Paul Vaughan and Leeson Ah Mau also carrying the ball for more than 100 metres, the Dragons forwards dominated their Broncos opponents, laying the platform for Hunt to enjoy a dream debut alongside five-eighth Gareth Widdop.

''We were definitely physical and I feel like we won the ruck,'' de Belin said.

''That is our job as middles, we’ve got to do that week in and week out.

''Ben Hunt is a great addition for us. He is just a calm head and just having that steady half to complement Gareth is only going to make us better.”

Dragons 34-12 Broncos

Hunt set up a try for Test forward Tyson Frizell and intercepted a pass from Matt Lodge to run 45 metres and score in the 50th minute in a decisive blow to the Broncos.

He said he recognised the play and sprinted out of the defensive line to put pressure on Anthony Milford.

''I sort of knew the play they were running and I actually just went up to jam in on Milford, and I got there a bit early so I had a crack at the ball,'' Hunt said.

''It was pretty exciting. I always get excited to score a try but to get my first one for the new team felt pretty nice.

''That is the standard we need to play each week and we have to improve on that. I thought we were a bit shaky in attack at times. We were not as crisp as we'd like to be so I still think there is some room for improvement.''

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/09/hunt-and-de-belin-stake-early-origin-claims/

getsmarty

Immortal
Why Ben Hunt will deliver on $6 million price; Graham explains Matt Lodge love
CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI, The Daily Telegraph
March 9, 2018 5:00pm
WHEN St George Illawarra signed Ben Hunt signed to a whopping $6 million deal, they were absolutely ridiculed.

But Hunt needed just 80 minutes on Thursday night to prove the Dragons got it right splashing so much cash on him.

To be a genuine contender in this year’s NRL competition, you need a top-quality No. 7.

It was the simple reason the Dragons missed out on the top eight last season.

After one game, and with Hunt calling the shots, the Dragons could push for a top-four berth.

The Dragons other big off-season recruit, James Graham, who was also handy in the Dragons 34-12 win over the Brisbane Broncos, could not fault the little playmaker.

“I don’t understand the halfback position that great, but I thought he was great, he came up with a huge play to take an intercept (and score a try), his kicking game was good, and for me as a middle, he told us what to do, so you can’t ask for much more,’’ Graham said.

38180e3e8fdc4b4ce621d5beba92b1a4

Ben Hunt made his debut for the Dragons against his former side.
“The halfback is probably the most important person in our team, and I’m pleased for him to get off to a good start. He’ll only get better.

“Hats off to him because playing his first game for the club, and to add to that playing against his former teammates, it was a big effort. There were a lot of excuses he could have used to not play well, but he didn’t, which is a real positive for us.’’

Hunt and skipper Gareth Widdop combined well, considering they only started training together two months ago.

The Dragons have not had an established set of halves since Ben Hornby and Jamie Soward steered the club to premiership glory in 2010.

Dragons fans will truly embrace Hunt if he can deliver a big win in next Thursday’s derby against Cronulla.

Graham had nothing but praise for Hunt, but also went out of his way after the game to tell controversial Broncos prop Matt Lodge he belonged back in the NRL.

758544c6ed62008c5e7567b7bc422ca9

Matthew Lodge made his debut for the Broncos under controversial circumstances.
The debate about Lodge being allowed back in the game after his wild 2015 night in New York where he terrorised a family will start to simmer now he has played his first game for the Broncos.

Lodge was heckled all game by fans, and will receive a similar hammering from the crowd when the Broncos go on the road.

“The type of person that is attracted to our game, it’s hard to explain, but I think he’s served his ban, he seems like he has turned a corner, and our game shouldn’t turn its back on someone who has made a mistake,’’ Graham said of Lodge.

“This game helps people ... and makes their lives and the people around them have better lives.

“That was a personal thing between me and Matt. People are entitled to have their opinion and say whatever they want. I’m just giving mine.

“How long has he been out of the game? He’s played Queensland Cup (last year), so it was a massive step for him. He will only get better. He’s tough and runs the ball hard, and doesn’t show any fear.

“He’s a big boy, and at 22, he’s got time on his side to get better.’’

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...k=5de5aa0f62ef7cab052852b4753e8e68-1520602406

getsmarty

Immortal
2018_jersey_flegg_round_1_dylan_morris.jpg

JERSEY FLEGG

Family matters for Dragon Morris
Author
Nicholas Janzen (Twitter: @NicholasJanzen)
Timestamp
Sat 10 Mar 2018, 06:47 PM

Another Morris is pulling on the famous Red V... and has his sights set on the NRL.

Dylan Morris, son of Steve “Slippery” Morris and brother of Josh and Brett, is plying his trade for St George Illawarra’s Jersey Flegg side – and he’s desperate to make a name all for himself.

“We’re half-brothers – we’ve got the same dad, Slippery – but we’ve always been close,” Dylan tells NSWRL.com.au of NSW True Blues Josh and Brett.

“We’re a close family, we never really call each other half-brothers, just brothers really.

“They’ve had a huge influence, watching them while growing up. Seeing them at club footy, as a little kid you’re always down there. You don't really realise until you grow up how big it is that they’re playing in the NRL, how hard they had to work – it’s a big credit to them. Especially with all the Origins on that stage, it’s just awesome watching them play.”

Dylan, a livewire fullback, crossed for a try in the Dragons under-20 team’s 20-12 victory over Mounties at Wollongong, the scene of many Morris tries over the years. In fact, there are some striking similarities in the Rugby League development of Josh and Brett, and the path Dylan is taking.

“I’ve lived in Kiama my whole life, just half an hour from the 'Gong. We all went to the same high school, Kiama High, and we’ve got the same club too, the Kiama Knights,” Dylan says.

“It’s a bit upsetting now they’re getting older and I don’t get to see them as much with their injuries and whatnot but it’s been very exciting to watch them play and they’ve really given me the path to follow.

“Just little tips, mainly on attitude – 'don’t get ahead of yourself, don’t party too much… you may need to miss out on a few times when your friends are all out'. Just that attitude, and hopefully working hard enough to get where you want.

“It’s definitely the goal [to make the NRL]. I’ve got this year in Jersey Flegg playing against my own age then hopefully I can show my wares and start playing against the men.”

If the Dragons’ Jersey Flegg side continues to win matches, expect to see more of Dylan – and his famous brothers.

“They live in the Shire, they’ve got a busy schedule and come when they can – they are always at my grand finals. They do support us whenever they get the time,” he says.

“They’re both at the Bulldogs now. They’ve got to support me even if they’re in the blue and I’m in the red.

“They won their Jersey Flegg Grand Final so hopefully we can do the same this year.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/03/11/family-matters-for-dragon-morris/

Latest posts