What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK I'll say it

denis preston

First Grade
Thought we played real well tonight and a lot of positives but was it just me that really though that Graham was ineffectual ? Please , better judges of the game tell me why i am wrong as i want to give myself a uppercut !!

Life's Good

Coach
Thought we played real well tonight and a lot of positives but was it just me that really though that Graham was ineffectual ? Please , better judges of the game tell me why i am wrong as i want to give myself a uppercut !!
Depends what you’re looking for.
I wanted to see JG play good minutes, lead in the kick chase, pull off a couple of big tackles & verbal the Broncos if it came to that.
He delivered in my eyes.
I posted in another thread that seeing him get stuck into Thaiday after the shot on Vaughan was the icing on the cake.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Give yourself an uppercut! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Was a real leader in the pack especially late in that second half making several tackles in a row and inspiring line speed. Still made over a 100 meters in attack and his little ball playing gave others space. Whilst not absolutely outstanding, still a very good performance and provides that little bit extra in the 1%ers

Old Timer

Coach
Pretty much my thoughts as well.
I posted early on, my worry was he will only get about 7 metres / run if he dies with the ball and he is pretty much slow motion.
However I did notice tonight that he is like honey to a bear and the opposition forwards just can't help but get interested in him so will be interesting to see how that pans out against the best 4 sides.
No doubt he brings smarts so maybe his contribution will be less shiny and seeable and more galvanising.

SBD82

Coach

Was a real leader in the pack especially late in that second half making several tackles in a row and inspiring line speed. Still made over a 100 meters in attack and his little ball playing gave others space. Whilst not absolutely outstanding, still a very good performance and provides that little bit extra in the 1%ers
Great post.

Graham and mcinnes led our linespeed tonight. And it was much improved on last season.

We have plenty of forwards who can put on a hit and make meters (not that graham doesn't do this) but we have lacked a leader. Graham is that player.

Belta

Juniors
I wasn't sure what he'd bring when we first signed him, didn't think that much of him, thought he wasn't big, had little impact, but the more I watched the more I realised he's just what most had said we needed, he was good in the WC and I started to see a guy who is all heart, gives it his all, it's effort on effort and tonight it was damn inspiring his team mates to follow suit..or was it only me who felt that?

HenryTatana

Juniors
When was the last time that we had anyone who was vocal, could lead by exampler and played with some passion. This is what a captain should do. And something we lack and have lacked for years. The only player who springs to mind that had any form of passion is Lance Thompson.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I wasn't sure what he'd bring when we first signed him, didn't think that much of him, thought he wasn't big, had little impact, but the more I watched the more I realised he's just what most had said we needed, he was good in the WC and I started to see a guy who is all heart, gives it his all, it's effort on effort and tonight it was damn inspiring his team mates to follow suit..or was it only me who felt that?

Wasn't just you, i thought much the same. Just by being out there Graham seemed to focus the other Dragons forwards. Just by being out there he seemed to make the opposition nervous. Made a big difference to our pack.

While not the "superstar" forward in the Jason T mode, Graham is a good solid front rower who leads from the front and dosnt take a backwards step.
The sort of player every top team needs.
I would put LAM in that category too, but he is not as vocal and fiery as Graham, Graham helps fire the younger boys up and with his experience they can learn a lot from him.

So it's an uppercut from me too.

BennyV

Referee
I dont think he was 'ineffectual', just depends on what you expect from him. If you expect a Vaughan-like impact on a game, then you'll be disappointed. In reality he's an above-average prop who brings the extra bonuses of effort, leadership and focus. That's what we are paying for and when we bring through the like of Kerr and Lawrie, we'll see the real benefits of having him on the field.

IMO, 100m and 7-8m per run is the bar that the prop rotation need to get over per game. Graham did that, but was outshone by LAM and Vaughan.

In other news - how good is it to have a Leeson Ah Mau-quality prop coming off the bench!

Walpole

Juniors
If you really don't see what he brings to the team I'm guessing you weren't at the game? And yeah, after the uppercut, give yourself a left hook as well.

watatank

Coach
I dont think he was 'ineffectual', just depends on what you expect from him. If you expect a Vaughan-like impact on a game, then you'll be disappointed. In reality he's an above-average prop who brings the extra bonuses of effort, leadership and focus. That's what we are paying for and when we bring through the like of Kerr and Lawrie, we'll see the real benefits of having him on the field.

IMO, 100m and 7-8m per run is the bar that the prop rotation need to get over per game. Graham did that, but was outshone by LAM and Vaughan.

In other news - how good is it to have a Leeson Ah Mau-quality prop coming off the bench!

He's no Walmsley, that's for sure...

I agree with your post, I would probably just add that his defence and ball playing gives us another dimension.

Uplifting

Juniors
I throught he was good tonight, as he has been all pre season. 350 games all up in his career, very experienced. Helping the younger guys improve at training. A good buy for the club.
You can’t give him credit for the younger guys effort. That’s just wrong.

Uplifting

Juniors
Denis I hope your wrong, but you said what I thought as well. I suppose when your getting on a bit and not a strong you do tend to focus on the one percenters and Graham did that well.

OzDragon

Coach

I'm honestly surprised that he made that many meters. I'd be happy with him just messing with the opposition tho tbh (particularly Thaiday)

Latest posts