What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
This is where clubs needs to think for future. Can Niakuore do close to the same job as Manu on half the money And age on hise side?

T.S Quint

Coach
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/09...atta-eels-teammates-in-infamous-fitness-slog/

Parra prop Alvaro's pace shocks teammates
Dan Walsh
Fri 9 Mar 2018, 02:59 PM
Jarryd Hayne generated all the headlines out of the now infamous five-kilometre pre-season fitness trial endured by Brad Arthur's Parramatta Eels.

But it was unassuming front-rower Daniel Alvaro who truly deserved them, beating home every one of his teammates in a display of endurance by a man of his size.

Alvaro, all 108kg and 190cm of him, has been handed a starting spot and a one-year extension this week, just reward for a summer slog that has him in sublime shape to kick off the 2018 Telstra Premiership.

The 24-year-old forward put in it all on show at Soldier's Beach in late January, when Arthur and his teenage son Matt joined the entire squad in a five-kilometre time trial up and down the Central Coast sand dunes before hitting the back streets to nearby Norah Head and back.

Alvaro was first across the line, beating home the entire Eels backline, his 43-year-old coach and of course, the last-placed Hayne.

"It was good to finish it," Alvaro laughed when asked about his surprising fitness feat, and whether he was still reminding his teammates about it.

"It's tough we do sand dunes, hill runs and then a long road run. I was lucky that Gutho (uber-fit outside back Clint Gutherson) didn't run in it because he would have smoked me… but it was good.

"There was a little bit (of sledging) when I got across the line. I spayed a few blokes who deserved it but most of them are alright."

Alvaro will clock up his 50th first-grade game in Sunday's western Sydney showdown with the Penrith Panthers, which on Friday was confirmed as the first sell-out at the foot of the mountains since the local rivals clashed in 2014.

In what is forecast to be uncomfortable 31-degree heat out west, Alvaro will line up across from an all-international middle contingent of James Tamou, Reagan-Campbell Gillard and Trent Merrin.

After missing one game last year the young prop has cleaned up his diet and secured his future to boot, with his re-signing until the end of 2019 the third in three days along with extensions for Nathan Brown (2021) and Will Smith (2020).

His combination with Brown also means the Eels boast an unlikely blond-haired and blue-eyed Italian connection in the middle.

Despite answering to the nickname "Polar", as in the big white bears of the Arctic circle, Alvaro represented Italy in last year's World Cup alongside Brown and boasts a proud Mediterranean heritage.

"People are pretty surprised when I tell them," Alvaro said.

"They look at me as if I'm a fool but my granddad on my dad's side was born in southern Italy and came out here when he was about 18.

There was a little bit (of sledging) when I got across the line. I spayed a few blokes who deserved it but most of them are alright.

"So he's an Australian citizen but very much a full, proud Italian too."

And despite Hayne's well-documented struggles in the sun and sand over summer, Alvaro will count running out alongside him this weekend as a career highlight given he spent his younger days admiring Parramatta's prodigal son from afar.

"I've never played with him before, he was a freak growing up and I remember watching him when I was in high school, " Alvaro said of Hayne.

"I didn't think I would ever get to play with him so it's something special for me.

"I did pre-season in his last year (before Hayne's switch to NFL) and then he left when I started cracking grade.

"He's been really good. He's ripped into everything and he's had a really good attitude and hopefully he'll have a really good year."

And of course we couldn't have an article about a Parramatta player without a few mentions of Jarryd Hayne.
Alvaro must be loving the questions:

"How did it feel beating Hayne in preseason run?"
"What's it like knowing you're going to play with Hayne?"
"Do you ever just sneak a peek at Hayne in the change room showers?"
"What did Hayne say when you spayed him?"

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This is where clubs needs to think for future. Can Niakuore do close to the same job as Manu on half the money And age on hise side?
Ma'u is contracted for 2019, along with Edwards, Takairangi and Moeroa. Do we want to give a top 17 contract to Niukore for 2019 as well just to keep him for 2020 and beyond? Maybe. Or maybe we can backload him so we're not paying too much next year. Or perhaps we intend to keep two of Takairangi, Edwards or Ma'u beyond 2019. Ma'u will only be 31 - not old for a modern first grader - and Edwards/Takairangi only turn 30 next year.

Then again, it might be a good time to get some youth into the pack. The following blokes are 30+ (and off contract) next year:

Edwards (30)
Mannah (31)
Ma'u (31)
Takairangi (30)

These blokes will all be under 30 at the end of 2019:

Alvaro (26)
Brown (26)
Evans (27)
Moeroa (24)

Alvaro and Moeroa are off contract next year as well. Niukore (if we keep him) turns 23 next year. In fact, he will turn 23 no matter which club he is playing for.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/to...e/news-story/52ea67921df7a7dd04913002f54df371

Towering Eels recruit Kane Evans leaves Sydney Roosters and arrives at another club worthy of 2018 title

Christian Nicolussi
The Daily TelegraphMarch 9, 201811:45am

0326e9e6e8b6f78b89d5d2b3c46811bf

KANE Evans walked away from the star-studded Sydney Roosters and straight into a Parramatta team he declared can also win the 2018 NRL title.

Evans has arrived out west with some Bondi bravado by proudly spruiking Brad Arthur’s men have what it takes to end a 31-year premiership drought.

“And if we didn’t have a chance of winning, I wouldn’t have come here,’’ Evans told News Corp Australia.

“I’ve seen what the boys can do and what the coach can do, and I know we have the right ingredients to get that grand final.

“This is the year. I wouldn’t have come if it wasn’t. I’m excited.

“It’s the best club I’ve been to so far.’’

As 199cm prop Evans made his way to the suburbs, superstars Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco were just getting settled at the Roosters. Evans said “all the pressure will be on the Roosters’’.

The 26-year-old said he never doubted his decision to join the Eels where his height and power will complement the hard-working mobile forward pack. He stands 20cm taller than Suaia Matagi.

Evans quipped at the time of signing his three-year deal that Arthur had wanted that height to offset his group of “nuggets’’.

“But I won’t call them that now. They might bash me,’’ Evans said.

“The boys are machines. They’re so fit. I love a powerful run, but these guys are strong and go all day.

“I was averaging 25 minutes at the Roosters, and the coach has told me he wants me to play at least 40 minutes, so that’s the goal. I also have a personal goal to start.

“We have so many good players.

“I came off the bench for Timmy (Mannah) in Maitland (in the final trial), and I remember sitting there with Suaia Matagi, Peni Terepo, Beau Scott was there, Tepai Moeroa and Kenny Edwards. There were about eight of us there, they were all guns and I’m like, ‘wow’.

“The coach will struggle to pick the team.’’

Evans and former Roosters teammate Dylan Napa were two of the tallest props in the NRL, and formed a lethal rotation with the likes of Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Sio Siua Taukeiaho and Isaac Liu.

The Eels pack are more blue collar than the Chooks pack, with skipper Mannah and Daniel Alvaro likely to start up front, with Nathan Brown to be lock for Sunday’s western Sydney grudge match against Penrith.

“He’s got a lot of energy and it’s contagious,’’ Mannah said.

“I’d hate to be ‘BA’, but it’s also a good problem to have because there have been years we’ve had the opposite problem and not had enough players to put in the 17.’’

One players who had impressed Evans was the injured Clint Gutherson, whom he labelled the fittest player he had met.

“I’ve seen fit players, but he’s next level to them,’’ Evans said of the fullback who is tipped to return from an ACL in the opening month.

Alvaro and Moeroa are off contract next year as well. Niukore (if we keep him) turns 23 next year. In fact, he will turn 23 no matter which club he is playing for.

What if plays for a team on the other side of the international date line? Or on one of the outer planets which have an orbital period of more than 365 days?

hindy111

Post Whore
Ma'u is contracted for 2019, along with Edwards, Takairangi and Moeroa. Do we want to give a top 17 contract to Niukore for 2019 as well just to keep him for 2020 and beyond? Maybe. Or maybe we can backload him so we're not paying too much next year. Or perhaps we intend to keep two of Takairangi, Edwards or Ma'u beyond 2019. Ma'u will only be 31 - not old for a modern first grader - and Edwards/Takairangi only turn 30 next year.

Then again, it might be a good time to get some youth into the pack. The following blokes are 30+ (and off contract) next year:

Edwards (30)
Mannah (31)
Ma'u (31)
Takairangi (30)

These blokes will all be under 30 at the end of 2019:

Alvaro (26)
Brown (26)
Evans (27)
Moeroa (24)

Niukore would cost what? Manu would be on 500k. Like I said. If BA thinks he is capable of getting close to the level Manu puts on he would cost half. One is ypung and on up while thenother is old and on decline. Manu not playing first grade till late says to me he prob hasnt had the wear and tear and can play at a hugher level for a few more years.

hindy111

Post Whore
You all bag the great Hindy111 but as soon as mention of us signing a Panther play its like you all go on heat.
All flushed and excited. Ffs it is embarrassing. Get a hold of yourself guys

El Diablo

Post Whore
one to get @hindy111 wet

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/54dedab63ea86c3c592e74ff9c27e097

Phil Gould and Jarryd Hayne will determine fate of Panthers and Eels
  • Ben Ikin
  • The Australian
  • 12:00AM March 10, 2018
Two of the NRL’s biggest and most polarising personalities, Phil Gould and Jarryd Hayne, will face off in the battle of Western Sydney tomorrow afternoon.

Sure, there’ll be others participating, but the 2018 season for the Panthers and Eels will be largely influenced by these two individuals. Gould is one of the smartest people I’ve met. He also has the rare ability to articulate to near perfection whatever occupies his mind. It’s a combination that makes him very effective in the cutthroat world of professional rugby league.

Gould generally gets what he wants, and in 2018, that’s an NRL premiership for his beloved Panthers.

But what happens when the football program he oversees, which includes a very well constructed elite roster, doesn’t perform to his expectations?

Short answer: he gets his hands dirty.

I know Gould has feigned public praise for his club’s recent finals appearances, but Gus wants and needs a premiership.

He’s been going at this Penrith rebuild since 2011, which is more than enough time to have won a competition.

Like most, I was shocked when Ivan Cleary got the sack as Panthers head coach in 2015.

Gould said Cleary was tired, Cleary disagreed.

The semantics don’t matter, only the message: if the GM of Football believes you’re not getting the club closer to a premiership at Penrith, you’re out the door.

Matt Moylan went from captain to outcast. Bryce Cartwright from local hero to let go. Luke Lewis and Michael Jennings fell foul before that.

Which brings us to the current head coach, Anthony Griffin.

Panthers representative forward Reagan Campbell-Gillard recently described Griffin to me as “old school”. Works you hard, dresses you down harder.

Not everyone’s cup of tea, particularly if you like playing Xbox in your spare time.

Wherever you stand on the how of coaching, there is one universal truth, lose the players, even a little bit, and the job becomes infinitely harder.

Gould likes and respects Griffin, you can tell, but if Gould believes his coach doesn’t have a premiership-level connection with his players, he’s going to do something about it.

What’s that something? More time on the grass.

Yes, Gus is back doing some coaching.

From a distance this has hairs all over it, but both Gould and Griffin need this to work.

The GM wants a premiership, and his reputation as a rugby league savant rubber-stamped.

Griffin would like to keep coaching in the NRL.

And after all, necessity is the mother of all motivators.

The quest to keep a job and enhance a reputation will also be top of mind for Jarryd Hayne this year.

His fall from grace since that attention-grabbing NFL sojourn has been rather dramatic.

Having left the game a Dally M Medal winner in 2014, Hayne’s 18 months at the Titans could best be described as 18 months at the Titans … that’s the polite version anyway.

Hayne takes up the baton at his spiritual rugby league home this year with everything to prove.

This week on NRL360, Eels coach Brad Arthur told us the reason he decided to get Hayne back to Parramatta.

Lying at home, watching the Titans play the Wests Tigers in 2017, with the game on the line and his team needing something special, Hayne produced, probably just because he felt like it.

Arthur understands the Hayne challenge: how do you get a guy so enormously talented more fully and regularly engaged in the contest?

Arthur’s answer: replace expectation with ownership.

Paying big money and expecting big results, on its own, isn’t going to motivate Hayne. It just feeds his ego and breeds complacency — my words, not Arthur’s.

Brad Arthur knows that for Hayne to fire he must feel understood, and his input valued. Coach him less, consult him more.

Sounds like complex work, but let’s be honest, the upside is enormous. Hayne is one of the most devastating ballrunners the game has ever seen, but right now his on-field reputation is suffering and there’s only one way to change that.

Gould will be looking out from a nondescript room at Panthers Stadium tomorrow knowing full well what a poked bear can do.

Hayne has a few critics to prove wrong and Gus will have a fair idea what that looks like.

Closer to home, the Panthers GM will be hopeful that the miserable trial performance against the Bulldogs was a one-off.

Should there be signs things haven’t improved, Griffin wouldn’t want to be caught napping around Penrith HQ.

Former Test and Queensland Origin player Ben Ikin will write a weekly column for The Weekend Australian