What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Sea Eagles @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Knights v Sea Eagles

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tommy Smith

Referee
Be honest guys, how many of you have referred to Pearce as 'Mythcell' or 'Shitchell' over the years? :D

He's a very good 1st grade halfback and has been for a while now.

Between Pearce and Ponga that's an amazing double act as far as new signings go.

Brighter days ahead and no fan base deserves it more after the last few years.

Matt23

Staff member
Be honest guys, how many of you have referred to Pearce as 'Mythcell' or 'Shitchell' over the years? :D

Between Pearce and Ponga that's an amazing double act as far as new signings go.

...guilty as charged

perverse

Referee

I've been pretty critical of him in origin, but I've always rated him highly as a club halfback. Very highly even. Was delighted when we got him, and he delivered exactly what I expected tonight.

I think a lot of us have been trying to hit the brakes on the expectation levels of Ponga, especially this early... but he is the real deal. Incredible debut tonight, especially for a kid with a world of expectation on him. So many salty NQ fans and others said Brown was mad to sign him for 600-700k... but he'll already look like a bargain by the end of the year, let alone the end of his contract.

Tommy Smith

Referee
The first time I saw Ponga live I had no doubt whatsoever that he'd be an absolute superstar.

Every generation tends to be blessed with 2-4 magnificent players and Ponga will be one from this era.

It's been hilarious listening to Cowboys fans miraculously turn from big fans to massive sceptics as soon as he signed elsewhere. Just as Dogs fans probably didn't rate Thurston when he left for an opportunity elsewhere.

perverse

Referee
The first time I saw Ponga live I had no doubt whatsoever that he'd be an absolute superstar.

Every generation tends to be blessed with 2-4 magnificent players and Ponga will be one from this era.
I'm starting to believe it, yeah. He's gifted. I'm really surprised NQ went with Coote... even though he's a proven performer and quantity. Desperate to keep that premiership window open while JT is still there, I guess... but Kalyn is a talent that could get another window open for you down the track.

Spot On

Coach
A long way to go but it was former QLD players and coaches that said Ponga had thrown his career away when signing with Newcastle.

The others simply said Brown was crazy to spend the coin on him.

Still Nutty

Juniors
What a night to be a Knight supporter!

Pearce was awesome tonight and really rose to the occasion, Ponga has so much talent at such a young age, it is unbelievable.

Herman was a beast, Griffin showed why Brownie made that tough call and he will be hard to unseat, Barnett was incredibly strong considering his pre season. Guerra was solid and put in but has room to improve.

Watson really looked out of his depth tonight as a 5/8 and he is not going to develop the capacity to be our first string partner for Pearce IMHO.

Browns challenge is when he is going to make that call, particularly after how well Lamb played when given the opportunity.

Moga still has a fair bit of work to do in both attack, defence and discipline but I can see that the disrupted off season means he is still under dome at the moment.

Lastly, congratulations to the crowd for the energy and enthusiasm - if we have 13000 instead of 23000, we don’t get up...that atmosphere is probably the best I’ve seen since Kurt kicked the conversion after the siren against the Storm.

If we can keep that level of support, McDonald Jones Stadium is going to be a fortress

Joel-22

Juniors
Surely we can find a spot for Lamb in our starting side?

Watson really looked out of his depth tonight as a 5/8 and he is not going to develop the capacity to be our first string partner for Pearce IMHO.

Browns challenge is when he is going to make that call, particularly after how well Lamb played when given the opportunity.

I'm so glad others are noticing this.

It is so hard to manufacture an NRL standard 5/8. St George tried and failed with Gasnier and Manly with Walker.

The only real success story was Lockyer to 5/8 and he played his whole career prior like a 2nd 5/8.

I'm a big fan of Watson and of course want to see him succeed. However, I was skeptical when we signed him as a 5/8. He has a great running game and seems to play well at hooker and fullback. Unfortunately a solid NRL 5/8 needs more tools in his arsenal than a great running game. He should be in the 14. jersey.

To further compound the issue, we have a very talented 20 year old who is a natural ballplayer with a solid kicking game. If i've ever been certain about anything it's that Lamb will look a superstar playing outside Pearce. In fact, I'm certain Lamb will be a star even if it's at another club heaven forbid.

Our attack immediately looked better when Lamb came on. Hell, Watson even looked better playing hooker than he did at 5/8. It's a no-brainer for mine.

Same side to take on Canberra but a straight swap of Lamb and Watson.

On a different note, Josh King looked f**king great in reggies today. He looks noticeably bigger and stronger.

Last edited:

Lynoman

Bench
What a night to be a Knight supporter!

Pearce was awesome tonight and really rose to the occasion, Ponga has so much talent at such a young age, it is unbelievable.

Herman was a beast, Griffin showed why Brownie made that tough call and he will be hard to unseat, Barnett was incredibly strong considering his pre season. Guerra was solid and put in but has room to improve.

Moga still has a fair bit of work to do in both attack, defence and discipline but I can see that the disrupted off season means he is still under dome at the moment.

Lastly, congratulations to the crowd for the energy and enthusiasm - if we have 13000 instead of 23000, we don’t get up...that atmosphere is probably the best I’ve seen since Kurt kicked the conversion after the siren against the Storm.

If we can keep that level of support, McDonald Jones Stadium is going to be a fortress

To be fair to Conner, he was debuting for his dream team, the nerves he would have been taking in would have been massive, sure he will settle quite a bit when it sinks in he's where he's always wanted to be. I'd still like him and Lamb to swap. Maybe Conner to centres and Sione as the utility bench player.

Ponga was outstanding, haven't seen a fullback play for the Knight that dynamic since Robbie.

Mitchell bought a kicking game that's been missing since Joey. Any other half back and we would have lost, his kicking game kept Manly out of it to a fair extent.

We played brilliantly in the GP time.

Overall, a lot to improve on but the confidence we'll take out of this game will be invaluable.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Just ducked my head in from the Dragons forum to say congradulations and good luck for the season ahead, although I think you guys won't need a lot of luck because you've got a good roster and a good coach.
Whilst you may not be every one's no 1 team you can sure bet your arse your every one else 2nd favourite team.
Your supporters are fantastic and never deserted the team so you fully deserve a great year.

Thanks mate. You boys look good rhis year more so!

Pedge1971

First Grade

My great hope is Freddy goes with Cleary and leaves Pearce to club footy.

But who knows? Do not disagree with u and yes I have been very critical at origin time...

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
To be fair on Watson, we were directing most of our attack down the left side, it appears that ponga is our left side 2nd receiver and Watson is our right side second receiver. We were targeting that left side a lot. That footwork that ponga has, Watson also has it. Give him time.

Highlight of the match for me was that try saving tackle from Ponga on Uate. Ponga would weigh as much as one of Uates thighs and he launched into him like a missile putting his body on the line. Great fullback play, that won us the game.

Johns Magic

Referee
Guerra needs to tighten his D up. Otherwise I thought he was alright and showed some good experience.

Watson is a great footy player but we looked better with Lamb at 6. Listening to the presser I got the sense Brownie feels the same.

Ese'ese is great. Without him taking it back to Taupau and Fonua-Blake we don't win.

Love Sione but he would hope he improves on that performance.

I haven't doubted Ponga for a second. He is a stud.

What a great feeling have Pearce in the driver's seat.

Barnett stood tall and Fitzy bleeds red white and blue. Love seeing those two do well.

General Knight

Juniors
Man that was one of the best games I seen from us in a while.

Agree with Guerra needing to improve his D, I also think Buhrer had a few critical misses and to be honest unless hes filling in at hooker I feel like theres no room for him in the side.

I'm more impressed with Ponga's defence than his attack. Attack we all knew hes got but damn didnt think he could say the tries he did last night.

Pearce was awesome, its the first game in I cant even remember where I couldnt fault our kicking game. Couldnt find a single negative where as in the past even in our better games there was always something to say about our kicking game.

Besides the stuff that everyone else has mentioned I really think we need to get more size in our pack. Having a half and back up hooker on the bench tonight at time made us look tiny compared to Manly.

Overall really happy.

Spot On

Coach
.... and having Brock Lamb as our 6 will improve our short/attacking kicking game immensely. It really is an area that can go to much greater heights from all concerned. Also gives a another quality option re kicking. Be great if Slade can roll a few in as well. Ponga too. So important in the modern game.

Griffin was simply outstanding in the middle. Tough f**ker.

I'm sure Guerra can improve a bit but that's the sort of thing he's been delivering for years now. I don't expect anything different tbh.

Latest posts