What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Mounties live scores

Life's Good

Coach
Life's good
Mate more likely he will replace luc.
Luc played the second half today.
Was ok but nothing sensational.
I don't think any change but lafai and McDonald need to lift.
Also depends if host is back he will come into calculations as well..
I’m a fan of Sele. Has a good build with a bit of footwork and is tough.
Hoping he is in as you suggest.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Life's good
Mate more likely he will replace luc.
Luc played the second half today.
Was ok but nothing sensational.
I don't think any change but lafai and McDonald need to lift.
Also depends if host is back he will come into calculations as well..
Samy
How is that Luc can play 1st grade and then play reggies in the same round?
I understand they can go up but come back seems very odd to me

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Samy
How is that Luc can play 1st grade and then play reggies in the same round?
I understand they can go up but come back seems very odd to me

OT
I will check but as far as I know its fine.
Because it is seperate days and I think you can drop 1 player back under the rules.
I think because he didn't get many minutes they wanted to see how he would go.
But I do agree.
There must be some retriction.
Because otherwise you could put all your best player back in res.

Old Timer

Coach
OT
I will check but as far as I know its fine.
Because it is seperate days and I think you can drop 1 player back under the rules.
I think because he didn't get many minutes they wanted to see how he would go.
But I do agree.
There must be some retriction.
Because otherwise you could put all your best player back in res.
Just seems bizarre at best.
Would be interesting to see if you could do it during the semis ie 1st grade side goes out on Sat and you load them into your reggies on Sunday

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Can someone give a decent recap of Herbert and Robson’s games?

Benny
Herbert play ok.
He defended well.
But didn't get many chances in attack.
When the ball got to him he was look sharp.
Unfortunately garrick was poor defensively so herbert had to cover a far bit.
In my option he was solid.
Robson was going well in the first half and was giving the forwards good service.
But got a head knock and spent time in the hia.
Payne came on and played hooker.
When robson came back on he defended well but Mounties were dominant and he was forced to defend mostly.
I would say robson was solid without being great

Belta

Juniors
Field looked threatening each time he handled. Scored a great try also. Unfortunately he appeared to not even want to put his body in the way of one the Mounties players as the charged over for one try and was ineffective in stopping atleast one other try. It's such a shame. Field coming off the bench in FG would be a nightmare for tiring forwards. He could be a real x-factor. I hope he can improve his defence. Cannot see him getting picked in FG until he does.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Host and Pereira were out and if they had played and if we had a good goal kicker a win might have been achievable. Field is very overrated and would be better playing rugby sevens.
He plays one out and fails to pass the ball and cost the team at least one try by running round in circles for 30 seconds when he had an unmarked
player outside him. It was good to see Sironen back. It was a shame to lose
Hind.

Drakon

Juniors
I totally agree with most of the comments. Only players close to first grade on that performance were Ford and Sele. Clune played well and Nicholls, Herbert and Robson were OK but not great. Tohi didn't get may chances and very unimpressed with what I have seen of Garrick this year.

Lomax was quiet although a brilliant 80 metre run chasing a kick through to wrestle the ball away in a one on one tackle to put the ball down over the line in what would have been a match winner only to be called offside on the kick.

The hard to fathom failure to take the 2 points from a penalty and Field's missed conversions proved costly.

Can someone give a decent recap of Herbert and Robson’s games?

Pat Herbert was very solid in defence and made one particularly physical tackle on a huge winger when defending on our line. Showed good strength to score from close range after being fed the ball by Field.

Unfortunately also made one bad read in attack and managed to get himself bundled over the sideline.

Herbert is the most FG ready Back in ISP.

Robson defended well and was his usual smooth self from dummy half. didn't scamper enough from dummy half in this game, hence wasn't noticed as much as he often is. He has the skills, but needs to bulk up a little more to be considered ready for FG.

Sele put in a fine performance and is definitely FG ready.

As I see it we have Mann/Herbert waiting in the wings for a 2-5 spot. Lomax made quite a few mistakes attempting to be "noticed". Has the size and skills. Needs to work on his decision making.

Kerr wasn't given enough game time to be properly evaluated.

ALSGI

Bench
I don’t watch many reserve games so it was good to watch this one on TV in perfect conditions at WIN.
Plenty of players had plenty to play for but I didn’t see a single performance that excited me tbh. Sele and Ford looked solid in the forwards.

I’ve been crying for Field, Lomax and Herbet to change up our 2-5 in FG but they just didn’t look ready. Lomax maybe in a pinch.
It’s only one game and I hope they develop.

On that performance we only have Mann to readily replace anyone 1-7 atm imo.

BennyV

Referee
Pat Herbert was very solid in defence and made one particularly physical tackle on a huge winger when defending on our line. Showed good strength to score from close range after being fed the ball by Field.

Unfortunately also made one bad read in attack and managed to get himself bundled over the sideline.

Herbert is the most FG ready Back in ISP.

Robson defended well and was his usual smooth self from dummy half. didn't scamper enough from dummy half in this game, hence wasn't noticed as much as he often is. He has the skills, but needs to bulk up a little more to be considered ready for FG.

Sele put in a fine performance and is definitely FG ready.

As I see it we have Mann/Herbert waiting in the wings for a 2-5 spot. Lomax made quite a few mistakes attempting to be "noticed". Has the size and skills. Needs to work on his decision making.

Kerr wasn't given enough game time to be properly evaluated.
I thought Herbert should have been next can off the rank in the pre-season (despite the Lomax hype) and was shocked he didn’t get a run in the trials. Hope he doesn’t get disheartened.

And Robson needs to be ready ASAP, he’s the only realistic cover for McInnes is he gets injured or selected in Origin.

Life's Good

Coach
I thought Herbert should have been next can off the rank in the pre-season (despite the Lomax hype) and was shocked he didn’t get a run in the trials. Hope he doesn’t get disheartened.

And Robson needs to be ready ASAP, he’s the only realistic cover for McInnes is he gets injured or selected in Origin.
What are your thoughts on Sele being a back up for McInnes(not long term)? I’ve mentioned it before & then read he has done some training at dummy half(might have a bit of Havili about him).

giboz71

First Grade
I know it’s only Round 1 in ISP but unless guys like Herbert, Garrick and Lomax are dominating in the lower grades, they shouldn’t even be considered any near the FG squad.

It’s a massive jump to FG and if you’re getting beaten by ISP opposites, what’s it going to be like when they come against guys like Roberts, Vunivalu, Mitchell, Addo Carr etc.

I’m the first to say we need to do better than Nighty, Lafai etc but we can’t assume their replacements will come from our lower grades.

Not yet anyway.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Given what we saw and yes its only rd1 but you can see why our 1st grade squad is our 1st grade squad.
Sele, Host and Herbert have had a year in ISP already and are probably the most likely to step up. Field also has a year in ISP but his defense is woeful and would be lucky to see any 1st grade anytime soon. Same with Kerr although he's more likely than Field.
Lomax didnt do anything that would warrant an immediate promotion to 1st grade. Review again in 3 or 4 games time.
Robson spent a fair bit of time off the field last year with HIA and started again yesterday. Is it tackling technique?
It will be interesting to see when Host is "fit" to play because Leilua really didnr do much in both games he played. I thought he should have taken the game by the horns yesterday but was outplayed IMO by a rookie in Ford.
It was a game they shouldnt have lost but found a way to do so. Lets hope we see inprovement by all players next Thursday.

watatank

Coach
herbert was solid and did particularly well in defence when Garrick was out of his depth. He didn’t get much quality ball but scored a strong try. I would say he really needs to get more involved in attack when the ball doesn’t come his way with dh running and the like.

As for Lomax they wanted to get him involved and he showed promise but also inexperience. Would debut on the wing of he plays sometime this year but no rush