What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four or more passes

ReddFelon

Juniors
If you're going to allow the tackle count to manipulated on field, you might as well abolish it entirely and revert to union. The tackle count is part of what makes League so much faster and emphasises creativity on the field, if a team can have unlimited tackles just by passing then you're going to see teams get in front on points and just keep resetting the count to waste time.

Burwood

Bench
I've often been intrigued by the idea of multiball, similar to a pinball machine. I'm not sure yet what would activate multiball mode, but those sort of minor details are irrelevant when the idea is a winner.

T-Boon

Coach
if a team can have unlimited tackles just by passing then you're going to see teams get in front on points and just keep resetting the count to waste time.

All I am suggesting is as a reward for taking the risk of keeping the ball alive and moving it around a bit you retain the tackle not that the tackle count restarts.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Totally agree with this. However it is also that coaches are gutless with respect to actually playing football inside their own half (or really anywhere outside the opposition 30 or early in the tackle count).
We should have stats that name and shame coaches. Like instead of 'completion rates' at the top of the stat sheet have 'average passes thrown per set' or something.

Very true! I would regularly watch the Broncos team of the early to mid-ninties play and they would quite often spread the ball in their own half and it would quite often end poorly for the defensive team with Renouf running the length of the field. It is very different these days.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think if a team passes the ball four times or more during a play inside their own half then you should retain the tackle. This would encourage a bit of ball movement inside own half and also change the tempo of a set of possession somewhat.

You must have really good drugs

AJB1102

First Grade
I think when a possible try is scored rather than have The Bunker three judges should critique the try's entertainment value and also take into account any post-try celebration, with their final score being awarded on the board. Not grounding the ball will cost you some judges points but provided its entertaining enough you'll still tick over the scoreboard.

American Idol rates its tits off so its the logical way to go. The people who watch it aren't League fans but that's exactly who we need to aim to please.

The_Shield

Juniors
I think when a possible try is scored rather than have The Bunker three judges should critique the try's entertainment value and also take into account any post-try celebration, with their final score being awarded on the board. Not grounding the ball will cost you some judges points but provided its entertaining enough you'll still tick over the scoreboard.

American Idol rates its tits off so its the logical way to go. The people who watch it aren't League fans but that's exactly who we need to aim to please.
So is it points taken off for that stupid fortnite try celebration?

Pig Hunter

Juniors
H
I think if a team passes the ball four times or more during a play inside their own half then you should retain the tackle. This would encourage a bit of ball movement inside own half and also change the tempo of a set of possession somewhat.
Ol’mate, have you thought about joining James at the Thailand Rehab Clinic?

Barkley

Bench
eteIS_fo0B63fgbQx50O4iTfnJ8Na_ybqQGgWNUwHOS0Xx2rlHdc-PEs4E74fr_IL8WLotIppZd0tJN1pPJm2PZnR6k0MgWQEoKgWpSFhc5QWHtgGuj4MW9U6ZDHOF9xrez9GbRaoRPMXJydQiIwzLnj=w349-h421-nc

AJB1102

First Grade
So is it points taken off for that stupid fortnite try celebration?

I don't know what that is, sorry.

Gonna take a stab that you're referring to 3 or 4 that all did an arm strapping sort of thing after scoring?

I googled 'fortnite' but am still none the wiser.

Ya just know Duges and Fergo come up with that after a few Breezers.

T-Boon

Coach
This idea of mine seems to be positively received by the LU community so it probably needs a name for the commentators and the stats sheet and then I'll pitch it to the powers that be.

In terms of a name...what do people think of a "4play"?

The_Shield

Juniors
This idea of mine seems to be positively received by the LU community so it probably needs a name for the commentators and the stats sheet and then I'll pitch it to the powers that be.

In terms of a name...what do people think of a "4play"?
Yeah, if mocking you and telling you to lay off the drugs is positive then sure, hard to argue with logic like that

hunters

Juniors
Defenses have become very solid and sophisticated. We should start toying with 12 or 11 players on the field during trial matches to see what it does to the dynamic of the game. If it doesn't work, scrap it, if it works and make the game more entertaining then approach the RLIF to request the change be adopted game-wide (NRL can't go it alone on this one as they will be playing a different sport to RL in Europe).
Yet somehow 337 points were scored last week. What does 'working' look like? Do we really want games that are 64-48 scorelines?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Bitterly disappointed there's not been a mention of topball yet.

Latest posts