What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future of Nathan Cleary

Will Nathan Leave?

• Total voters

unKwn

Juniors
Welp, after watching the Matty Johns show, things don't look to good for us. Ivan and Nathan pretty much confirmed they would love to play with each other. unless we can pull off a miracle season and win a premiership and treat nathan well with a nice contract, I don't see us retaining him. bad times guys, i hope we dont but we might see another talented player walk out the door. please prove me wrong.

soc123_au

Staff member
I think he will stay, but it will cost a pretty penny. He seems like the type of person that would value being a one club player.

age.s

First Grade
How many "superstars" stay anywhere for their whole careers? Smith and Slater only stayed at the Storm due to the club cheating (Smith was all but signed by the Titans in 08 or 09). Ditto Cronk and even he's left. Thurston is the closest example I can think of and for half of his career they had to have him playing with absolute cellar dwellers. Lockyer is probably the only other 21st century example I can think of. You can point to players from previous generations, but the league doesn't work like that anymore.

I'd love for Nathan to dominate with us for the entirety of his career. Barring that I just hope we manage the transition to a new halves pairing smoothly. That's all any of the modern clubs can ever hope for.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
How many "superstars" stay anywhere for their whole careers? Smith and Slater only stayed at the Storm due to the club cheating (Smith was all but signed by the Titans in 08 or 09). Ditto Cronk and even he's left. Thurston is the closest example I can think of and for half of his career they had to have him playing with absolute cellar dwellers. Lockyer is probably the only other 21st century example I can think of. You can point to players from previous generations, but the league doesn't work like that anymore.

I'd love for Nathan to dominate with us for the entirety of his career. Barring that I just hope we manage the transition to a new halves pairing smoothly. That's all any of the modern clubs can ever hope for.

Well said.

This sack Gus in my opinion is just silly. You could end up like W.T were in 2017 with 'the big three'. Sacking Gus and still missing out on Nathan.

Gus is doing a fine job. I'd love Nathan to stay, but if he choses to go, I will remember him fondly.

The way Gus sacked his dad has made it almost impossible to keep Nathan. He's a good son and just waiting for the chance to knife the arrogant prick imo.

Since he's under contact until end of season 2019 I'm not even thinking about such things. If Nathan chooses to stay it will be for big dollars.

Could happen sooner than we think.

If Cleary signs with someone else for 2020 after this season is up, then we might release him early so we can move on & start rebuilding with a new halves partnership.

If that was the case. Why did Nathan re-sign and remove the waiver out of his contract about playing with his Dad about 18 months ago ? (june 2016)
Was in the best 20's team in the comp and was good for his career to stay. Now though?

Gus bagging his dad in the media was unprofessional and simply idiotic.

If that was the case. Why did Nathan re-sign and remove the waiver out of his contract about playing with his Dad about 18 months ago ? (june 2016)

I was surprised when we re-signed him, thought he was gone. But looking back it wouldn’t have been a great time for him to move clubs. He was established here & lived in the area, being only young it would’ve been more difficult to travel somewhere else.

His family live in Leonay, so fair way to the next closest club.

TheFrog

Coach
I'm not convinced he will leave at the end of 2019. Of course it will help if we finish in the top 4 or even make the GF this year. Nor am I convinced he will follow his Dad, who might move on at any time.

Gus bagging his dad in the media was unprofessional and simply idiotic.

I guess I missed that. Saying he was tired? Of course that was shite. But the long an d the short of it as I see it was that the professional relationship became untenable. Possibly connected with Gould's "hands on" role in managing the football club. In short, I suspect Gus wanted to have some input in the darkest days of 2015, and Ivan told him to piss off. Could be completely wrong of course.

Nathan Cleary is not Darius Boyd. He could play under just about any coach.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Welp, after watching the Matty Johns show, things don't look to good for us. Ivan and Nathan pretty much confirmed they would love to play with each other. unless we can pull off a miracle season and win a premiership and treat nathan well with a nice contract, I don't see us retaining him. bad times guys, i hope we dont but we might see another talented player walk out the door. please prove me wrong.

They said the same thing 3 weeks from the season starting. Sometime down the track was all they said. Sign for 4 more years. He will still be 27 after then that is when he'd go I think

OldPanther

Coach
Just re-sign Ivan. He has a couple of years at the Tigers. Just get his next contract here and Nathan can stay and still play under his dad. Other than that he'll go.

mxlegend99

Referee
Theres absolutely no way in hell Ivan is coming back here. Not while Gus is here atleast.

That bridge has been burnt. Sadly theres no way Ivans job is in jeopardy at Tigers either. 2/2 to start the season against the 2 premiership favorites? They wouldn't have expected any wins by now.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
I originally thought Nathan would be leaving to go play at the tigers.

The more i hear Ivan talking about it now, the more i feel he is doing his part to bump Nath's $$$'s up as high as he get it. Safe to say i would do the same for my son

The Panthers have a premiership window open, the tigers i cant see one for sometime yet, they would also have to punt Reynolds and or Brooks.

I think Nath is about winning a comp at this stage of his career. He knows he is going to get the coin regardless, and he has another 12 years to play along side dad.. He has a lot of close mates playing along side him now at Penrith, throw in 1.2mill a year and playing within a top 4 potential roster, i think that may be enough..

Forget him going to the Roosters. It just wont happen. Unless he signs somewhere else, then mores to the roosters post that contract.

Politis will not poach him from his best friend Gus.