What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly Salary Cap

Bloke

Juniors
I still cannot get over some of the glasshouse dwelling folks that support the Eels though most of them wouldn't say boo to a ghost on the issue of salary cap rorting these days.

If there was any consistency Manly would lose points. If there's another retrospective salary cap reporting scandal at another club in the next year to 18 months then the NRL will look even stupider than they already do. Not sure how after what happened at Melbourne we still have clubs rorting the cap.
:clap_tone1:This. So much this.

Knight76

Juniors
What continually annoys me with these repeated salary cap breaches is the players continue to be untouchable. Players have a window of about 10-14 years to earn as much as they can from the game, I just don't believe for a second that any player at contract time does not ensure he knows every aspect of the payments they are going to get. To sit there and say I didn't know what I was receiving and leave that to my manager is insulting.

DCE was on Big League Wrap and they asked him only a couple of questions about the cap issue, and then moved on to talk about footy. What the f**k? Ask him questions like does a player sign a contract not knowing every aspect of what they are getting to play for a club. Ask DCE why the backflip from the gold coast to Manly and exactly what payments were disclosed to him. ASk DCE if he will be retaining his manager following these revelations.

What needs to happen is from the CEO down, every contract that is signed and lodged with the NRL needs to be accompanied by a statutory declaration from all involved that the money declared in the contract is every dollar that is being paid to that player as an incentive to sign for that club. The CEO,whoever in the club is in charge of recruitment, the player manager and the player signs it.

Next salary cap blow up punt the lot of them from the game for a lengthy ban, years. Ignorance is not a defence and I don't believe for a moment the player isn't 100% aware of what he is getting, but this lay off the players stance is just inviting it to continue, not to mention the very light sanctions applied.

Many have been rorting the cap for 5 years with brown paper bag payments essentially. Yet the worst thing they get is a salary cap effect for two years, not money off the grant, but a little less money to spend under the cap. And Manly have the nerve to want to appeal the severity of the punishment. Insanity.

This would by my punishment, stripped of all competition points for those 5 years, history can record them running last for those years. The fine is fair enough, the lowering of the cap for the next two years is fine but it needs to come off the grant also.

If the results for any period of rorting still stands then there is no real incentive not to. Melbourne lost premierships from this, it should not matter if you finished 10th or 4th, you should have all points stripped for those years.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
let's call the elephant in the room, IF manly got the punishment they deserved, they'd edge pretty damn close to relocation/folding

El Diablo

Post Whore
Hmmmm interesting

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/85851921e2a878a7ef4ba23e1e2a0f46

Manly Sea Eagles owner Scott Penn fires back at salary cap rorting punishment

DEFIANT Manly owner Scott Penn fired back at the NRL, declaring: “We’re not salary cap cheats.”

The Sea Eagles chairman told The Daily Telegraph his club had been “seriously hung out to dry” through “circumstantial evidence” despite the NRL revealing it had uncovered “deliberate breaches of the cap.”

“This is not a rort,” Penn insisted.

Asked had his club cheated, Penn said: “No. We have abided by the principles of the salary cap. The club has not paid one player any more than we have declared.

“And the NRL has not provided a smoking gun through this whole process. It’s disappointing to be tarnished with a big brush.

We have not paid a player one cent more than our annual salary cap declaration. We have abided by the principles and rules of the salary cap. They are suggesting we have somehow rorted the system and gained an unfair advantage — we disagree.

“They have said we effectively made promissory notes to players and not disclosed them. They were in relation to making introductions and helping find them third parties. It was only around the negotiating process.

“The NRL is maintaining a hard line on it and are saying it is breach of the rules. We never guaranteed any third parties. That is what we are disputing. They are saying we had to disclose them, it was an obligation.

“But there are no guarantees in writing — this is all circumstantial. When you’re negotiating with a player, sure you try and find them additional money. That’s common practice. This isn’t isolated to the Sea Eagles.

“This is not a rort. It’s a protocol issue. The club has not guaranteed third parties. And no-one is claiming that we have, this is where it gets tricky. We are seriously getting hung out to dry on this, to be honest.

“What we have done is introduce people to player agents, and the like, as part of the negotiations. All at an arm’s length and said there is potentially an opportunity here. Some have come to pass, some haven’t.

“They are claiming that every single one of those for the past five years — any introduction or otherwise — should have been in the cap, which we totally disagree with.”

“We feel at this stage there are certainly strong grounds to appeal,” Penn said. “We just need to review that based on our legal opinion.”
hqdefault.jpg

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...r/news-story/5519ad9a519aeb5479538a0c103897e9

Scott Penn called the tune expecting a waltz and ended asunder
  • The Australian
  • 12:00AM March 27, 2018
  • Brent Read
This all started with a rumour and a phone call. In the middle of last year, as Strike Force Nuralda was concluding its investigation into rumours of match fixing involving Manly games, chair Scott Penn approached the NRL and asked it to investigate the club’s salary cap.

The NRL was on high alert anyway. While police hadn’t shared any information — NSW Crime Command is surrounded by strict privacy provisions — it was aware of the very same rumours, many of which had been fuelled by suggestions that the match-fixing investigation had uncovered evidence of potential salary cap irregularities.

Penn no doubt expected the NRL to waltz in, take a look around and give the Sea Eagles the green light. Naive? Apparently so. Instead, the integrity unit began a forensic investigation that involved more than 800,000 emails and text messages, and yesterday culminated in Manly being torn asunder.

Fines totalling $750,000, salary cap penalties amounting to $660,000 over this season and next. Question marks over deals involving 13 players across five seasons, five of those deals quite significant.

Coach Trent Barrett issued with a warning. Club legend Bob Fulton, one of only eight of the game’s Immortals, basically told he was no longer welcome to hold an official position in the game, at least until he fronted the integrity unit and explained his involvement in this sorry saga.

The Sea Eagles are exploring their options and an appeal could be on the radar. For the time being, they are in damage control. It’s an area they know only too well. Manly have been a haven for controversy in recent years.

It is hard to believe things could get as damaging as when Strike Force Nuralda was in full swing, but it goes close. Fingers are being pointed in myriad directions as the search begins to find which players were paid what.

Penn continues to protest the club’s innocence. Given the amount of evidence the NRL says it has against the club, one can wonder how rose-coloured Penn’s glasses are. It is an ugly game which will test the nerve of not just the players, but also Barrett. The coach last night provided an insight into the challenges brought about by the cap investigation, not just over the past eight months but also moving forward.

Barrett, speaking on NRL360 on Fox League, fears it will affect the club’s ability to keep some of their best young players, but also to manage their cap moving forward. That said, Barrett isn’t running away and he isn’t the only one up for a fight.

Penn is digging in his heels and preparing for an appeal, insisting the issue is one of interpretation rather than a deliberate and systematic attempt to rort the system.

As for Fulton, he was ready to launch a jihad on the NRL. The legendary Sea Eagles player and coach refuted suggestions from NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg that he failed to make himself available for interview.

He insisted he had text messages to prove it. Fulton said he was initially contacted by the NRL integrity unit when he was about to leave for a holiday in Hawaii, having already stepped down from his role at the club.

He says he told investigator Karyn Murphy he was happy to meet the integrity unit face-to-face when he returned. He said they also wanted a face-to-face meeting.

He then said he was contacted while he was in Hawaii by the NRL integrity unit asking whether they could conduct the interview via Skype. Fulton didn’t know what Skype was but had it explained to him. Fulton insisted he wanted to sit down and see the whites of their eyes. He said they agreed and let it go.

Three days later, he said he was contacted again as he was going out to dinner. He said they told him they needed to speed things up because Greenberg wanted to bring the investigation to a close. This all unfolded in early December. Not long after, the NRL issued its preliminary findings against the club. Fulton’s testimony was clearly not necessary.

Fulton said the next time he heard from the NRL was when Greenberg called him yesterday to inform him that he was holding a press conference to announce the sanctions against Manly.

Fulton sat back and watched as Greenberg told the press conference that the Manly legend had resisted attempts to be interviewed. Fulton was furious and is exploring his options.

Manly have been battered from pillar to post over the past two years, the allegations stretching from match fixing to cap cheating. It has made them resilient, but also tested their patience. Once again, they are in the dock. Long despised, they have given their critics more ammunition.

Yesterday morning, Penn and chief executive Lyall Gorman attended the NRL where they were told by Greenberg and chief operating officer Nick Weeks that their club had been found culpable of abusing the salary cap.

Penn may think twice before picking up the phone again.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Calling the NRL liars, that will work out well.

But who cares

Bob "I destroyed the NSW blues" is no longer allowed to be a selector, not allowed, disgraced, shamed as he should be.

This is what really matters.

BsNeFGH.gif

slinkymoose

Juniors
There is a simple deterrent and it should be implemented immediately. The players should be paid their contract from a central system, let’s say the NRL directly. That way players do not have the I didn’t know excuse.

If they or their families are then caught in future cheating, whether it be a free car or boat or cash or TPA that is not registered and comes through the central channel then they have to pay many more times the original amount back and are scrubbed out of the game for many many years. The players will soon realise an extra $30k here or there is not worth risking the $500k+ a year they are on. The policy should apply to all expenses and gifts, however small.

It’s the same defence we have as player gambling. It needs to be put onto the players to report it if a club tries it. The clubs can too easily confuse the players on their pay currently and the players get off too easily even if they were in the know.

The penalties for club owners and administrators should be similarly harsh.

The NRL are in the position of power when people sign up to be apart of the game, whether as a player, agent, owner, etc. They should put strict rules into the contracts at that point and not be afraid to kick people out, no matter who they are. The integrity of the game is the most important part.

I can’t believe the people proven to be involved in the cheating at Manly get a 12 month suspension or get to carry on. The people should be gone for good.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
At the end of the day, I just cannot believe this shit is still happening after Canterbury, Melbourne and Parramatta, especially after Melbourne. That is a black eye that is yet to heal and here we are once again debating whether a punishment for cheating was sufficient and what the hell is going to happen with the salary cap to make it actually f**king work for once. As if this isn't the millionth f**king time that's happened.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This whole thing has a sense of de-sensitisation about it. Look at the massive sentiment in cricket over a pretty minor cheating situation compared to the shrug of the shoulders this has created. Its like it has happened so many times that it is half expected these days and punishments weak and we'll just move on until next time somebody has the whistle blown on them. Watching smug DCE on Fox you'd think he was talking about a spilt beer, not a massive cheating scandal. At least Trent looked absolutely gutted!

As said at the very min any club found cheating the cap systemically should have every point from every season they cheated removed and all wins expunged from the records.

El Diablo

Post Whore
At the end of the day, I just cannot believe this shit is still happening after Canterbury, Melbourne and Parramatta, especially after Melbourne. That is a black eye that is yet to heal and here we are once again debating whether a punishment for cheating was sufficient and what the hell is going to happen with the salary cap to make it actually f**king work for once. As if this isn't the millionth f**king time that's happened.
well if you hand out some limp dick punishment like Manly got it's hardly going to deter anyone

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
More bad news for the cheats. Lottoland will soon be banned in Oz. Wonder what will happen with their sponsership $$$
This is not good news IMO. This denies Australians and is a fascist move by a government seeking a monopoly on gambling profits and denying Australian larger payouts. Don't care about Manly and sponsorship.

Do care tte Bob "the merkin of NSW" Fulton has been named and shamed and can no longer cruel representative teams and give Manly players a leg up, no more random Manly players for NSW and Australia.

Lottoland being banned denying Australians bad. Bob no longer in any official position
That is good news

fwHPpCl.gif

beave

Coach

853D9D3C-C474-460B-A216-7A41578BD987_zpsgqqee9v3.jpg

62C583AC-871E-45EB-A6F3-3D774986CCB1_zpsaewbf1fz.jpg

I actually agree with what you are saying, I just couldn’t help myself.......

Exsilium

First Grade
Kent defended him to the hilt on nrl360. Given he was GM and knows everything going on at Manly I found Kent’s defence of him very peculiar unless they are good mates?

I think the idea that “such a legend of the game” would be involved with such things is just so unbelievable that it must be rubbish.

I honestly don’t know who to believe when it comes to the NRL.

hrundi99

First Grade
Kent defended him to the hilt on nrl360. Given he was GM and knows everything going on at Manly I found Kent’s defence of him very peculiar unless they are good mates?

This is something that needs to be considered whenever comments are made, rep teams are selected, etc.

Despite the money and tv ratings the code generates it is still a "small" sport in that most everyone knows everyone else. Talking heads share managers with players, some are mates and get encouraged to do puff pieces etc.

Latest posts