What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball Tampering

mattyg

Bench
Outrageous punishment for Smith if true. I would be comfortable with 6 months with 6 suspended given his clean record. Warner one year ban seems fair given his record. Lehmann has to go, cricket owes him nothing... bring in JL and Ponting as coach and assistant coach.

Agree we've gotta drop this moral crusade act. It's absurd that the SA captain has been done twice and hasn't missed more than a match, Tendulkar got done, Philander, the list goes on. Not to mention Ben Stokes being allowed to play with an assault charge hanging over his head. We are always destined to fail while we keep up this rubbish act

Mr Spock!

Referee
Australian Cricket is f***ed if it bows down to the hysteria over this.

Banning players for a year is the ultimate in bs when other countries do nothing.

Enjoy your innings defeats.....

See how the ratings go when that starts happening.

Meth

Staff member
1 year?

A massive overreaction.

I've heard this compared to match fixing. It's not. It's cheating. There's a difference- and 1 year for a bit of cheating is crazy IMO

Australia need to get rid of Warner, so this will achieve that. They may even need to change captains. But banning Smith (and even Bancroft) for a year? Crazy

Eelectrica

Referee
1 year for Smith seems excessive. Maybe he can appeal and get the sentence reduced.
I think he deserves something for honesty as naive as it was.

Next time someone is found guilty of ball tampering ICC needs to throw the book at 'em. One of those big heavy hardcover books.

gordsy

Juniors
It could go either way. With a gimp like Sutherland at the helm it wouldn't surprise me if Pat Howard and Helm ultimately make the call and Sutherland just rubber stamps it.

The outrage of this is unbelievable. Even Mal Meninga is getting in on the act, even though plenty of dodgey things have happened during his time as coach of Australia and Qld.

It seems like every merkin around is lining up to take a free kick at the team.

JD359

Juniors
That aint happening unless he quits. Good guy, bad decision. He is totally a likeable guy. On the other hand there is something about Warner everyone just wants to hate. Is it that he is a c**k? He seems like a piece of shit.

I work with a guy who is the only other 'real' cricket fan at work. Neither of us are fans of Smith. Neither of us find him likeable or s'one we'd want a beer with. Not to say he's not a good guy, he probably is. I have jus' never warmed to him as a captain. Even jus' as a batsman. There's jus' been s'thing not right & off about how he has handled e'thing since the cameras caught them on-field. Do I hope it ruins his career? Not at all. I honestly don't think it will. But he's done enough damage to make people question their support of him in general now...

As for Warner, I really don't think a'one is too shocked in all honesty. He can happily go join the T20 mercenaries for all I care. He's had more than enough chances to prove himself as a changed guy from the early days of trouble he got in. Didn't last too long. It's not like there isn't a few guys waiting in the wings to take over at the top of the batting order

T-Boon

Coach
I work with a guy who is the only other 'real' cricket fan at work. Neither of us are fans of Smith. Neither of us find him likeable or s'one we'd want a beer with. Not to say he's not a good guy, he probably is. I have jus' never warmed to him as a captain.

Maybe it is just that he does not have a lot of personality. That can be said of a lot of us. Me, Steve Waugh, Boonie.......We aren't all Steve Irwin.

There's jus' been s'thing not right & off about how he has handled e'thing since the cameras caught them on-field.

You mean the press conference? Has there been anything other than that. True, the press conference was stupid, He just seems to have kept to himself otherwise.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Not comparing the incidents but going back to the underarm incident in 81, Rod Marsh said when he was in dressing room after the Aussies and many past players were gutted and disappointed, one bloke even said "well you've certainly lost a lot friends from this".

Given that the incident the other night is illegal theres no doubt there will be friendships lost over this.

I heard Jim Maxwell was quite emotional on radio trying to hold back tears. Cant blame him.

Not comparing the incidents but going back to the underarm incident in 81, Rod Marsh said when he was in dressing room after the Aussies and many past players were gutted and disappointed, one bloke even said "well you've certainly lost a lot friends from this".

Given that the incident the other night is illegal theres no doubt there will be friendships lost over this.

I heard Jim Maxwell was quite emotional on radio trying to hold back tears. Cant blame him.

When you lose friends over a stuff up like this, presuming it’s your first offence, they aren’t your real friends anyway. Great time to learn who is truly your mate.

No announcement on sanctions for another 24hrs

In short

- Tim Paine new captain

- Lehmann isn’t resigning, Sutherland says he didn’t know

- Warner, Bancroft & Smith all sent home

- Sutherland says no other player had prior knowledge

- renshaw, burns & big show replace them

- says there will be “significant” sanctions

- claims this is a one off incident

- says Steve Smith is distraught

Last edited:

BWNB

First Grade
1 year?

A massive overreaction.

I've heard this compared to match fixing. It's not. It's cheating. There's a difference- and 1 year for a bit of cheating is crazy IMO

Australia need to get rid of Warner, so this will achieve that. They may even need to change captains. But banning Smith (and even Bancroft) for a year? Crazy

Bowling a no ball or tempering with the ball are the same in my eyes

Meth

Staff member
Bowling a no ball or tempering with the ball are the same in my eyes

bit different.

Bowling a ball is a negative action for monetary gain.

Tampering with the ball is a negative action to try to win the match.

Sphagnum

Coach
So the leadership 'group' is just Smith and Warner?

What a load of shit. A few blokes have gotten away with this.

Lucky Smith didnt name any names the dopey merkin. Should have claimed it was all his idea and he ordered Bancroft to do it instead of trying to throw everyone under the bus.

Good batsman, shit captain.

Sphagnum

Coach
Lehmann escaping completely unscathed doesn't sit right with me.

At the very least it shows he doesn't have the confidence of his players.
Didn't Lehman radio handscombe and tell him to go and speak to Bancroft on the field about hiding the tape?

Yeah, he knew nothing about it...

Latest posts