What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentator bloopers

Timbo

Staff member
Whenever the Raiders make their way onto Nine. You can tell Rabs has a ten second squiz at Big League before the game and that's about it.

My favourite was years ago, kept calling Marshall Chalk 'Matthew Shards'.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Whenever the Raiders make their way onto Nine. You can tell Rabs has a ten second squiz at Big League before the game and that's about it.

My favourite was years ago, kept calling Marshall Chalk 'Matthew Shards'.
Rabs “Mathew shards down the sideline”
Gus “someone should clean that up”

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
For me, Laurie Spina takes the cake.

About 10 years ago on ABC Radio he was calling a Saturday night Cowboys game when it was obvious the longer the game went, the more pissed he got.

It got to a stage in the second half that he called a player from a team that wasn't even playing! More than once only to make it worse.

King hit

Coach
I remember when Lockyer was interviewing Michael Ennis when Cronulla made the grand final.

Lockyer "well done Mick your first grand final what a great achievement to finish your career"

Ennis (smiling wryly with an eyebrow raised "ahh it's my second mate second"

Lockyer just gasped and backed away awkwardly and the cameras cut to someone else

Commentary gold

tripster

Juniors
What about Andrew Johns being pretty obviously drunk but still on the commentary panel at the end of SOO - can’t remeber if it was last year or the year before. He was slurring (more than usual).

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Try 1992.

I thought early 2000s but I saw a game on Youtube the other which was Brisbane Vs Norths and called Allan Cann, Andrew Gee.

I still remember a shocker in 2005 when Brisbane played the Roosters and he called Brett Seymour, Brett Firman about 3 times, even though Firman was playing for the other team.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
One time I streamed a game (Tigers v Roosters loss in 2014 48-4 @ Leichhardt oval) when I was overseas. This dodgy Venezualian stream showed behind the scenes footage of the commentary box at half time. Warren Smith was swearing like a sailor and squirming around in that chair like an anal bead. Was hilarious stuff.

King hit

Coach
Other commentary bloopers I can remember

- Ray Warren singing out ‘there goes Greg Inglis’ when Greg Eastwood took an intercept for Canterbury in the 2014 finals

- Any game where Tim Gilbert is the main caller

- Scott Princes hilarious pre game talk in 2014

- Rabs calling Palmerston North, north Palmerston

- Halligan thinking England had scored in the 2013 World Cup when the pommy bloke dropped the ball 2 meters short

- Always get a weekly dose with our mate Blocker

- An Origin game in 1993 where Fatty debated one of the most obvious forward passes

- the entire commentary team blowing up when Lui knocked the ball on in the 2014 finals

And finally the stupidest thing I can remember a RL commentator saying is back in 2012 when Wally Lewis said how good it was for a team to lose because it makes you angry. There was this awkward silence then Joey said “what’s that about Wally nobody likes losing”. Laughter followed at Wally’s expense.

JD359

Juniors
Other commentary bloopers I can remember

- Ray Warren singing out ‘there goes Greg Inglis’ when Greg Eastwood took an intercept for Canterbury in the 2014 finals

- Any game where Tim Gilbert is the main caller

- Scott Princes hilarious pre game talk in 2014

- Rabs calling Palmerston North, north Palmerston

- Halligan thinking England had scored in the 2013 World Cup when the pommy bloke dropped the ball 2 meters short

- Always get a weekly dose with our mate Blocker

- An Origin game in 1993 where Fatty debated one of the most obvious forward passes

- the entire commentary team blowing up when Lui knocked the ball on in the 2014 finals

And finally the stupidest thing I can remember a RL commentator saying is back in 2012 when Wally Lewis said how good it was for a team to lose because it makes you angry. There was this awkward silence then Joey said “what’s that about Wally nobody likes losing”. Laughter followed at Wally’s expense.

Bwahahaha! That Inglis/Eastwood one was one of his best ever. I honestly thought I'd heard it wrong.
On a sidenote: Is it jus' me or does a'one else find Braif seriously annoying either in studio or at the game?

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Before mini had retired and the roosters wingers were tupou and rts rabs got them constantly mixed up for an entire 80 minutes. Yes that is rabs that we are all use too but this was the next level as besides the fact that they are on the opposite sides of the field and tupou is at least 8 feet tall, rts coppedamd early head knock and had to chuck a head gear on to cover the stitches and he still continued to mix them up

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Take it easy on poor rabs gang. It's not easy to call a game and read the form guide for Saturdays racing at the same time.