What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revisiting The Stupid Six

vvvrulz

Coach
With the sudden and dramatic turnaround in the Warriors, I'm sure many of us found themselves asking "what's changed?". A lot of it obviously comes down to Corvo in the off-season, but one thing I didn't consider until this weekend was the player rot - more specifically the outcome of the Stupid Six saga.

Hurrell - gone
Vatuvei - gone
Matulino - gone
Thompson - gone

Supposing we cut Lisone and Vete some slack, young men probably led around by poor role models (Lisone in particular looks a whole different proposition this year), maybe Kearney has finally rid himself of the toxic culture and has the men he wants?

I always used to harp on about the pride and commitment showed during the one Dragons match when the six above were left out, and more importantly how it disappeared as soon as these guys returned. The way we're playing now is a call back to that one match, now we're doing it every week (touch wood).

Why it took so long to get the memo, who knows, but it's great to see us finally play like we care.

sup42

Juniors
Kearney
Smtih
Corvo

Cutting out this cancer is the order of change for me.

Kearney is at the center of all of it.

No ****heads can survive that list of men.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Smith behind the scenes probably has had a good part to play in this as well. SK getting the support he needs to allow him to solely coach. The fact Smith is staying in the background working away and not seeking the limelight shows they’re working together well as a group with a clear direction for the team/ club

JJ

Immortal
Matulino is the big regret though for me... one of my favourite players, just wish together they could have found a way to make it work - not too many middle forwards around like him

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Bens defence is a big part of why the Tigers defence is now a talking point amongst league enthusiasts such as ourselves. Of course good defence is a team effort but Bens defence has always been more solid and its something he's had over most of our pack excluding Simon.

Hurrell is going great and his new coach is a big fan of his so Im expecting a good season from the man that goes down hurt after anything he does on the field.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Hurrell is going great and his new coach is a big fan of his so Im expecting a good season from the man that goes down hurt after anything he does on the field.

Didnt have his best game on Sunday, got dominated by Tariq Sims and brought the butter fingers back. He's always been "good" just never been consistent, hope it clicks for him this year, looks fit

Blair

Coach
To me the Stupid Six was mostly about Manu, and his strangely painful last two years with us.

Meth

Staff member
The stupid six weren’t the first stupid six. Hopefully they will prove to be the last.

Also, we’ve all of a sudden changed our tune on Kearney

morningstar

Juniors
Matthew Idiot was asked how much of a difference the new recruits (Green & Harris) had made to the team on ABC radio over the weekend.

He intimated the culture change was due to who was no longer there rather than the new recruits. Hmmmmm.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Matthew Idiot was asked how much of a difference the new recruits (Green & Harris) had made to the team on ABC radio over the weekend.

He intimated the culture change was due to who was no longer there rather than the new recruits. Hmmmmm.

Interesting. Elliot may not be s great coach but he’s no fool.

JJ

Immortal

Perhaps referring to himself?

He's stating the obvious - some who needed a change left - seems like win-win

But everyone is getting (yet again) carried away IMO - we've beaten three easy-beats, and not terribly convincingly - surely as people who've watched the Warriors a lot we should keep our hopes in check

vvvrulz

Coach
But everyone is getting (yet again) carried away IMO - we've beaten three easy-beats, and not terribly convincingly - surely as people who've watched the Warriors a lot we should keep our hopes in check

I disagree; you're right in that we've beaten three of the softer teams, but what's impressing me at least is the on-field attitude and fitness which has far surpassed anything since 2011. In that context, the last three weeks have been huge.

Obviously a long season to go, but if we maintain these levels we're definitely in the running for the eight.
And even if we miss out, with this team I have genuine faith we'll go out swinging.

JJ

Immortal
I disagree; you're right in that we've beaten three of the softer teams, but what's impressing me at least is the on-field attitude and fitness which has far surpassed anything since 2011. In that context, the last three weeks have been huge.

Obviously a long season to go, but if we maintain these levels we're definitely in the running for the eight.
And even if we miss out, with this team I have genuine faith we'll go out swinging.

I am hoping you're right - I just want to see more yet before I believe

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
When I think I miss Mutts I take a look at the way Bunty runs and the rose tinted glasses come off.

You can't change a chronic lack of desire.

I don't agree with that. Player of the Year in 2012 and 2015, two shit years. His numbers were beastly. Yeah OK, he never really showed any desire to be a leader but sometimes people's personalities don't lend themselves to being so. He became totally disinterested and disassociated because Cappy completely f**ked him up. Coming off 150m+ a game in 2015 he was benched, given low minutes, then given shitloads of minutes, then (yes, unprofessionally) acted up. If Cleary had've come, Ben would still be with us and still be a force. But not only did we not pick up Cleary, we kept the same inept coach that buggered up our best forward on staff. And Ben couldn't wait to leave.

I'm not saying he's a saint etc but chronic lack of desire doesn't sum it up for me.

Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The stupid six weren’t the first stupid six. Hopefully they will prove to be the last.

Also, we’ve all of a sudden changed our tune on Kearney

Absolutely, for now. He deserves plaudits, fitness guy obviously as well but we're playing like a team, a well drilled one.

Next course of action is to get another good assistant coach. Who'd be available?

Latest posts