What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Messi’s overall standing in the game cannot be judged on international success

DC80

Juniors
On the back of Messi being sat in the stands watching his hopeless compatriots get hammered 6-1 by Spain I thought it right to bring this up. Messi has no chance with Argentina at the World Cup. The defence is atrocious, the midfield very average...so it’s just Messi (and Aguero, and possibly Di Maria) in attack and that’s all Argentina have. They will get thumped in the World Cup.

No one man can win a World Cup on his own. Contrary to popular myth Maradona didn’t. He had a fantastic defence behind him, he also had forwards taking chances he created for them. Messi has had neither of these things. Pelé too played in an awesome Brazil team (1970 arguably the greatest XI ever).

This “Messi must win a World Cup to be compared with Maradona/Pelé” argument is nonsense. You can’t do jack if you are on your own.

Messi is the best player I’ve ever seen (this goes back to the Maradona era), and he’s quite possibly the greatest ever. You can only judge a player based on his own performances (and what his teammates allow him to do). This video sums up very well this whole issue (just click watch on YouTube, the commentator explains why this argument is bullshit).

Mong

Post Whore
I don’t buy into the international argument either.

If he was a Socceroo he’d never ever be in the hunt for such a success.

Haffa

Greatest ever arguments are boring and bias will always impact people’s opinions.

The Tax Dodger doesn’t exactly win the league or CL on his own either so the argument goes both ways.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
its a tag invented by the media clickbait crew, I dont think they realise there are 11 players in a team

saint.nick

Coach
Its not about winning world cups, its about having a big relative impact on the team. Its not Messi's fault that Higuain is a bottler

Jack_Napier

Staff member
I don’t overly buy into this greatest ever player thing. We really should be enjoying the fact we currently have 2 all time greats in Messi and Ronaldo plying their trade for us to enjoy.

International football is a crock imo, world cups and euros are great for the fact it shortens an off season and that’s all imo.

DC80

Juniors
That wasn’t a great Argentina team in 2014. Germany were favourites with a world class midfield that put seven goals past Brazil in the semi-final, Argentina scraped past Holland on penalties. And but for Higuain missing clear chances when clean through on goal in the final Messi would have had his World Cup winners medal.

Valdano and Burrachaga converted their chances in the ‘86 final to ensure Maradona would be picking up the trophy. Had they did a Higuain he wouldn’t have been picking up anything.

Latest posts