What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They looked old

typicalfan

Coach
Being old is apparently a bad thing despite most of the best players in the comp being old. Isn’t Thurston hanging the boots up after this year anyway? Won’t be surprised in Slater and Smith also do the same.

Thurston was great last night if it wasn’t for Pangai he would have put the pass on for the match winning try and his pass to Cooper in the 2nd half was pure class

user_nat

Coach
Thaiday would make a passable signing for the Titans.
Not cause they need a bad player, but they could do with signing someone who is actually popular in QLD.

But even then.. probably not worth it.

wibble

Bench
I thought Thurston and Scott were looking "old" before their big injury lay offs. Scott particularly, was struggling in defense and as halves went on. Thurston has always faded in and out of games (for someone considered by some as "so competitive" or the "next immortal") but was really picking moments before his injury.

This is not to say they both weren't capable of brilliant moments, just they looked weary and spent more time being not brilliant than they had in previous years.

I actually think their injury enforced lay offs have freshened them up a bit. They look sharper for longer than they did in their previous two dozen or so games. They can not be expected to have the constant energy and involvement of players 5 years younger. If they contribute at strategic points with the brilliance they are capable of, I'm sure Cowboys fans will be happy with the results.

Boyd is where Scott was a few years ago. Niggling injuries, as much as age, are building and limiting his effectiveness. I don't wish ill of him, but he almost needs a big injury lay off to refresh (assuming it doesn't impact on his athleticism too much, maybe a broken arm or hand would help him out a bit). Or better yet, the Broncos could manage him a bit better. Players with niggling injuries in league should be treated like Australian fast bowlers, and given some regular rests, but it is not likely to happen.

Gallen's output last year was absolutely phenomenal for someone so old. He really does look old so far this year, and that is a concern since his output is what he is known for. But he started off the bench first round, so that may indicate some injury issue we are not aware of. Otherwise, he might come good as he gains match fitness, or perhaps he should focus on 20-30 minutes of effective output, and not try to play so long (much like Thaiday had some better form in the last two years as his time on the field was reduced).

BattleParrot

Juniors
This thread will never come back to haunt anyone.
Standing by it. Thurston was terrible last night. Scott was slow and ineffective. Don’t be surprised if neither plays out the year. Fake injuries and a lap of honour at 1300 SMILES before the season reached its half way point..

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Standing by it. Thurston was terrible last night. Scott was slow and ineffective. Don’t be surprised if neither plays out the year. Fake injuries and a lap of honour at 1300 SMILES before the season reached its half way point..

Scott wasn't ineffective, he just can't sustain it for as long as he used to. Still adds value, but not as the top guy. The guy you haven't mentioned who imo is starting to look older than both JT and Scott is Gavin Cooper.

That JT/Cooper combo is probably one of the more successful combos in recent years but without them having an impact it leaves the limited Linnett/Winterstein combo with too much to do on their own.

It took Michael Morgan injecting himself as a fullback to get any sort of spark on attack down that edge.

BattleParrot

Juniors
Scott wasn't ineffective, he just can't sustain it for as long as he used to. Still adds value, but not as the top guy. The guy you haven't mentioned who imo is starting to look older than both JT and Scott is Gavin Cooper.

That JT/Cooper combo is probably one of the more successful combos in recent years but without them having an impact it leaves the limited Linnett/Winterstein combo with too much to do on their own.

It took Michael Morgan injecting himself as a fullback to get any sort of spark on attack down that edge.
Nicely put, mate. Good post.

I’d agree with Cooper looking sluggish as well. One thing you can’t knock is their effort though.. all of them.

beave

Coach

Yeah, you had me til you said Linnett........ the guy who hasn’t played a game this year......

Shorty

Staff member
Cooper has ALWAYS looked slow.
If he's more tired it's probably covering for JT a bit more this year.
There was a tackle last night JT got bumped off and Cooper had to throw himself into the tackle, late in the game too.

wibble

Bench
There were a few players who needed to step up last night, and age wasn't the main factor.

Thurston and Scott are not at their peak, but do enough in more limited moments. Morgan had a few moments of his own, but he needs to step up more and let Thurston just chip in.

But two "younger" players who need to contribute more are Taumalolo and Granville (I know Granville isn't young, but should be at his peak). Taumalolo is good still, but not a million dollars a season good, like he was at the end of last year, and needs to be again. Granville was one of the players looking exhausted 5 minutes in to the match, which set the tone for the rest of the game.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Last night, JT look a step off the pace, not ahead of it. The good players make time, and historically he's looked miles ahead of the game, like he's in 3rd gear and crushing it. It might be injury, it might be age, but he's not looking as dominate as he once was. His passing game is still sublime though when he gets one away. I'm not going to go down the 'one year too many' path just yet though. Its a long season.... His goal kicking was an eye sore last night. Worst he's kicked ever, i suspect. I realise he had a leg complaint after one kick, but he was way off before that.

Who did that last kick off too? That was a disaster.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Last night, JT look a step off the pace, not ahead of it. The good players make time, and historically he's looked miles ahead of the game, like he's in 3rd gear and crushing it. It might be injury, it might be age, but he's not looking as dominate as he once was. His passing game is still sublime though when he gets one away. I'm not going to go down the 'one year too many' path just yet though. Its a long season.... His goal kicking was an eye sore last night. Worst he's kicked ever, i suspect. I realise he had a leg complaint after one kick, but he was way off before that.

Who did that last kick off too? That was a disaster.

Feldt

Watching the game last night made me feel like

Latest posts