What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Blitz

Spot On

Coach
Absolutely. Its amazing how quickly everyone has learnt to use their foot in the play the ball. I have no doubt full time professionals could learn other changes just as fast once their coaches decide to focus on it.

Leigh.

Ah, a bloke with brains. So good it needs to be posted again. Proves 'muscle memory' doesn't extend to the play the ball too.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I agree but in the mean time what is the product going to look like?
I think the nrl has handled this poorly.

Fruits of the labours will take several years and at what cost?

Lets be honest here, League's health hasn't been that great for a number of years already. Heart surgery is never pretty, but it is necessary. So we stick to the status quo and watch the slow cardiac arrest or we get into the ugly stuff, insert the pig valve and get the code back on track.

M2D2

Bench
The games being run into the ground with penalties and people on here are having a go at the players.
Never change LU.

Shorty

Staff member
Ah, a bloke with brains. So good it needs to be posted again. Proves 'muscle memory' doesn't extend to the play the ball too.
No need to be narky because I'm not blowing my load of the current officiating status.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Stop falling for the sh*t being blown out of proportion by the media. The same media that cried about wrestling, offside, hands in the ruck etc. last year(& years before that).
Do you honestly believe there will be games of 30+ penalties on a consistent basis? Stop & think that a game with this number of penalties is designed to send a message to coaches & players to get their sh*t together & fast. If that means to sacrifice a few games for the betterment of the game then so be it.
Behaviour needs to change and that will only be brought about by staying the course.

But it isn’t and then you get calls of bias reffing. I counted probably ten occasions in sharks games of players having hands on ball when rising. Not one was penalised, yet being slightly offside even though the player was 5 players away from the ruck and not involved in the play that emerged was.

You could quite literally penalise every set for something, but we dont because it would totally kill the game. It’s no wonder players have no idea what is ok and what isn’t.

Anyway after watching two terrible games today I won’t be wasting my time with tomorrow’s games. Hopefully the SL derby games later might be more entertaining.

LineBall

Juniors
4 rounds is nowhere near enough. Entire training regimes need to adapt, ones that the clubs clearly
Not when they've been playing a particular style for years.
Muscle memory is a thing.

It's not going to happen for months and I'm skeptical if we see it this year.

It's been 4 rounds, do you see any improvements?

Muscle memory applies to coordinated movements such as a golf swing, kicking a ball etc. You can’t use it as an excuse for moving up too early or holding the man down too long.

A more likely excuse would be a lot of the players are as dumb as dog shit and it takes a long time for them to realise that they control whether they will be penalised or not.

redVbull

Juniors
All credit to NRL referees for their crackdown.

What we are seeing in high penalty counts (is finally) refs calling out infringements most notably defence offside @ play the ball that in past seasons were rarely enforced... perhaps 2-3 times / game.

consequently teams (like storm as long as I can remember) worked this lax enforcement to max advantage with early off the line defence rushing attacks and so maintained consistently low scorelines against them.

now the cover is blown, its a level playing field for all teams ... yes penalties may be high while coaches/ players adjust - especially painful for those teams who played offside as a defence strategy now have to find a way to win legitimately!!!

With this 10m enforcement I'm seeing in 2018 better quality attacking play in most games. This is the right path ... hold the line NRL!

T-Boon

Coach
Not when they've been playing a particular style for years.
Muscle memory is a thing.

It's not going to happen for months and I'm skeptical if we see it this year.

It's been 4 rounds, do you see any improvements?

The thing that might happen is a team will realise that they need to have a go from further out and actually play some full court press football (I just made that up). Attacking on the try line is so ineffective now we get 4-2 score lines at half time. Throw it around inside own half.

Life's Good

Coach
I agree but in the mean time what is the product going to look like?
I think the nrl has handled this poorly.

Fruits of the labours will take several years and at what cost?

I agree on the point about the NRL handling this. I think they should have been more vocal about what they were doing. From memory they issued the edict about the PTB but what we saw tonight(& have subsequently seen)was far beyond that.
I think they need to be on the front foot with the fans about what they are doing to assist clubs etc. Let’s see what unfolds.

Spot On

Coach
Muscle memory applies to coordinated movements such as a golf swing, kicking a ball etc. You can’t use it as an excuse for moving up too early or holding the man down too long.

A more likely excuse would be a lot of the players are as dumb as dog shit and it takes a long time for them to realise that they control whether they will be penalised or not.

This.

The media need only point this out ad nauseum for a couple of weeks and the bozos who read their own press might actually change their on field performance /behaviour.

t-ba

Post Whore
But it isn’t and then you get calls of bias reffing. I counted probably ten occasions in sharks games of players having hands on ball when rising. Not one was penalised, yet being slightly offside even though the player was 5 players away from the ruck and not involved in the play that emerged was.

You could quite literally penalise every set for something, but we dont because it would totally kill the game. It’s no wonder players have no idea what is ok and what isn’t.

Anyway after watching two terrible games today I won’t be wasting my time with tomorrow’s games. Hopefully the SL derby games later might be more entertaining.

Holy shit Storm fan complaining about the lack of a fair shake from the refs. This truly is the night of nights!

t-ba

Post Whore
I agree on the point about the NRL handling this. I think they should have been more vocal about what they were doing. From memory they issued the edict about the PTB but what we saw tonight(& have subsequently seen)was far beyond that.
I think they need to be on the front foot with the fans about what they are doing to assist clubs etc. Let’s see what unfolds.

Yeah but Toddy is a f**king moron, so what can you expect?

Life's Good

Coach

I get your point about penalising on technicalities ‘in every set’ but that isn’t happening. The refs are pulling up the blatant(in there eyes)indiscretions.
As for players not knowing, Flanagan, in his press conference confirmed the refs are at Sharks training twice a week. So it’s either players are completely dumb, completely lazy or just think they will get a free ride as in years past.

Shorty

Staff member

I don't think it's as simple as 'don't break the rules then' hence my comment.
Teams are literally losing games because of it and yet they're still playing like it.

I think people are using overly simplistic ideas about solving the amount of penalties.
We'll see where we're at in another 4 rounds and we'll see if there's much change.