What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Coach

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Tugga doesn't want anything to do with coaching...he puts nearly all his energy into his charities these days.

I hope they have a full and open process, Dizzy for mine is the best candidate and not a CA stooge (seemingly)...sadly JL is a CA stooge and will probably get the gig. I reckon he can coach, he's just too busy licking bums

I remember when the garden gnome was our batting coach. he talked about wining games within the game and all that sort of headspace mumbo jumbo without really helping the batsmen with their batting

He was our batting coach when Phillip Hughes had his batting issues so much so that Hughes had to find a decent batting coach and pay for it himself to try and get his technical issues sorted.

Langer was no help at all.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Anyone but bloody Langer. Please no. I can’t put my finger on why exactly but he is one annoying mofo.

Dizzy would be ok. If only tugger or AB were available.

Eelectrica

Referee
bring back Mickey Arthur?
With this new and improved aussie attitude they're going for, it's not actually a bad idea.
The bloke can coach, would surely be a better option than JL or Bayliss if he gets the flick from England.

Dizzy would be my preference though.

mave

Coach
I predict 2 years of JL, then hopefully C.Rogers will have enough experience.
He seems to know his stuff, and has the right "culture" for CA.

Matt23

Staff member
Sounds like the gnome has the job, CA lurching from one f*ck up to the next :rolleyes:

Eelectrica

Referee
Is Justin Langer really a legend? That line threw me.
I mean he had his moments, sure. But legend seems to be pushing it.

Fangs

Coach
JL as coach extinguishes the outlandish idea of Clarke as captain. Was certainly a longshot, no chance now.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The mighty Fangs strikes again.

CA quashes coach appointment claims
Cricket Australia yet to determine replacement for Darren Lehmann as report emerges suggesting Justin Langer has been handed role

Cricket Australia insists no appointment has been made to the vacant national men's head coaching position despite reports that former Test opener Justin Langer has won the job.

Australia are on the hunt for a new coach following Darren Lehmann's resignation last month in the wake of the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal, with Langer presumed to be a leading contender.

The West Australian reported on Wednesday that the Cricket Australia board will ratify Langer's appointment on Friday but a spokesperson for the organisation stressed that is not the case.

QUICK SINGLE
subjectLanger discusses Aussie coaching job
“The process to be undertaken for the appointment of a new Australian men’s head coach will be discussed and agreed at the CA board meeting this Friday," a CA spokesperson said in a statement.

"No appointment has been made, and nor will any candidate be put to the board for ratification on Friday.

"We expect to have a clearer understanding of the approach and appointment timelines following this meeting."

Langer has coached Western Australia and the Perth Scorchers since 2012 and has long been considered the natural successor to Lehmann.

The 105-Test veteran stood in as head coach for Australia's ODI tour of the West Indies in 2016 when Lehmann took some time off.

Speaking to PerthNow earlier this month, Langer said he'd consider putting his hand up for the job but admitted its relentless nature could be a deterrent.

"If the opportunity came up, there would be a lot to consider," said the 47-year-old.

"The complication is that I love my job. I love my job here. I love being on the board of the West Coast Eagles (football team). I love being with my family all the time.

"(Coaching Australia) would mean (travelling) 11 months of the year.

"I love working at WACA, and working with the Scorchers. My family is all in Perth. I am a Perth boy and I love being home. So that’s why it is complicated.

"I’m also involved with five or six charities here in WA. And walking away from all that is not that easy to do."

8DA4F5EECE6143D19711564A835ADBCA.ashx

Langer has led the Scorchers to three BBL titles // Getty

That load could be lightened however should CA opt split the Test and limited-overs coaching roles, an idea that has gained traction given the increasingly divergent demands of the different formats.

Langer's former captain Ricky Ponting has already expressed his interest in coaching the national T20 side, while former Australia fast bowler Jason Gillespie has previously discussed a desire to coach at the highest level.

Gillespie holds roles with KFC Big Bash side Adelaide Strikers, leading them to last summer's title, as well as English county outfit Sussex. Ponting is in his first season at the helm of Indian Premier League franchise Delhi Daredevils.

Former India mentor and Test great Gary Kirsten recently endorsed Langer and Ponting, tipping more and more nations are likely to split their head coaching duties.

"I know 'JL' (Langer) well and he's a great coach," Kirsten told Omnisport. "He has all the right credentials, and they also have Ricky Ponting who has done a fantastic job with their T20 team.

"There is no shortage of quality coaches around the world, but both JL and Ricky understand the Australian way better than most."

"I think international coaching is moving to a space where it is going to become more format based … the idea of coaching an international team across all formats is becoming more unlikely for young coaches, because it’s just not sustainable, especially with a young family.

"Countries are starting to split coaching roles and I think it will happen more and more.

"Australia dabbled with it and we are even getting counties now signing up Twenty20 coaches."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/jus...-meeting-lehmann-gillespie-ponting/2018-04-18

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I don't understand the push for Ponting as 20/20 coach. If anything Langer is better credentialed as a 20/20 coach through his time at the scorchers.

If you were going to split the two it would make more sense having Gillespie take on the longer format and the Josef Goebbels lookalike Langer take the shorter game.

Ponting can wait a while and win something before getting a gig

Latest posts