What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Green

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Apparently Green's contract negotiations with the Cowboys have hit a snag.

The feats this man has achieved in his short career as an NRL head coach is phenomenal. He's built an incredible roster at the Cowboys and he's received the highest wraps from guys like Thurston, Morgan, Taumalolo etc. I've read a few articles on him as well saying that he's constantly looking to improve his coaching as well, spending time overseas with NFL teams to work on his man-management.

If we don't win the premiership this year, I feel like Green is the man to get us there. The deal to re-sign with the Cows is a 3 year deal. I'd be offering him 4 years. He's a premiership winner and demands success.

I'm worried that success this year means that Mary will be re-signed and we'll miss out on potentially one of the best coaches to have come through the game in years.

Last edited:

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Most coaches are only as good as their rosters and player availability. I think that coaches like Bennett, Flanagan, Green, Maguire and Robinson have/had declining
rosters. The Dragons, Tigers and Warriors have improved their rosters and less players at the back end of their careers and their competitiveness has caught people by surprise. I believe the times are a changing and say Yippee!

Saintsified

Bench

The feats this man has achieved in his short career as an NRL head coach is phenomenal. He's built an incredible roster at the Cowboys and he's received the highest wraps from guys like Thurston, Morgan, Taumalolo etc. I've read a few articles on him as well saying that he's constantly looking to improve his coaching as well, spending time overseas with NFL teams to work on his man-management.

If we don't win the premiership this year, I feel like Green is the man to get us there. The deal to re-sign with the Cows is a 3 year deal. I'd be offering him 4 years. He's a premiership winner and demands success.

I'm worried that success this year means that Mary will be re-signed and we'll miss out on potentially one of the best coaches to have come through the game in years.
You're worried if Mary is successful we will re-sign him? Mate if he wins us a premiership then we got our own Paul Green. Only way is down for Green, one hit wonder.

People were going on about Brad Arthur as well, reality is although I never liked Mary thus far, I'm happy to be proven wrong and hope to God he really does become successful and for many years to come. I also think coaches are cattle driven.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Personally I don't think Green is worth his million dollar asking price.

The seeds for his roster were planted by Neil Henry prior to his departure. He is no doubt great, but if we reach Week 3 finals this year, I will remain happy with Mary for 2019 even if we don't make the GF

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Hang on a minute, did anybody watch last year's competition?

He took a team that barely limped into the 8 (thanks to us) to a flipping Grand Final.
A team missing their star play-maker, key players in their forward pack, their fullback for half of the season. They had players dropping like flies what seemed like every week.

But somehow they made it to the big dance. The coach adapted the playing style to suit the squad he had available, and guys like Morgan, Bolton, Jensen, Taumalolo, Hess, Hampton etc just went to the next level.

Tell me someone like Mary could do that if we started losing key players.

BennyV

Referee

He took a team that barely limped into the 8 (thanks to us) to a flipping Grand Final.
A team missing their star play-maker, key players in their forward pack, their fullback for half of the season. They had players dropping like flies what seemed like every week.

But somehow they made it to the big dance. The coach adapted the playing style to suit the squad he had available, and guys like Morgan, Bolton, Jensen, Taumalolo, Hess, Hampton etc just went to the next level.

Would sign him. The Cowboys roster will be going through an overhaul in the next few years but he’s got it very ready with the likes of Martin, McLean, Asiata and so on getting ready to take over some of the old guard. If he re-signs with the Cows it’s his opportunity to move into the top echelon of coaches.

I’d be making him a quiet offer if I was our management! He could work wonders with our roster.

Saintsified

Bench

He didn't take them, the players self motivation took themselves to the GF. Again nucleus was there.

Saintsified

Bench

He would be able too this year cause the players would self motivate.

Saintsified

Bench
Paul Green = Ricky Stuart = Trent Robinson.

One hit wonders, I only rate coaches who win a 2nd then it isn't a fluke or because they inherited a side.

mickeylane

Bench

No chance in th world.
If it happens it will be
Green to Broncos
Walters to Cowboys
Dragons haven’t planned for a premiership this year - top 4 finish and Mary has done his job this year. Needs to win a premiership though over next 2-3 years w this squad and emerging talent . If he makes GF this year they will give him the keys to Wollongong and Kogarah!

The Damo

Juniors

Yep, doubting Green is madness. Outside of Bellamy (which will never happen) he’d be my pick for coach every time. Not just what he did last year, but the way he got the Cows to win away from home (which Henry never managed) the transformation of potential into real sustained performance, the development of players, the building of mental resilience in the team. He’s the real deal, no doubt.

typicalfan

Coach
Personally I don't think Green is worth his million dollar asking price.

The seeds for his roster were planted by Neil Henry prior to his departure. He is no doubt great, but if we reach Week 3 finals this year, I will remain happy with Mary for 2019 even if we don't make the GF
Please don’t compare Mary to Paul Green. Let’s just see if you are even competitive come finals time first.

O'Sullivan

Juniors
It's a tough one really, I want us to win every game we play in but I still have nightmares about locking Mary into another contract. Yet, at the moment I have to give it to him, we are playing well, but I will not give praise until we move well into the second half of the comp. Leading the comp virtually until Round 10 last year and then missing the 8 has scarred me deeply.

typicalfan

Coach
He would be able too this year cause the players would self motivate.
Self motivation is almost an oxymoron in this instance. Players can only do this if the environment set up by the coaching staff is conducive to this behaviour. It is why some teams can do it and other cannot. The Cowboys have shown over many years they can recover from poor starts to be very competitive. If the Dragons has the right coach they would be right in the mix but I think they’ll be found wanting.

Great post and on the money.
2018 shapes as being an improved year for the club given the addition, in particular, of Hunt.
That does not necessarily mean that our coaching smarts have improved.
We have a big steamroller pack of forwards that is making our backline look like superstars at the moment and I am enjoying every minute of it..
So the issue boils down to whether the club is prepared to upgrade our coaching structure with the aim of winning a premiership or two and bringing some glory back to the St. George club.
With Green now a distinct possibility and with Bellamy also off contract, there is a window of opportunity to take the club to a different level.
When I read the article about Green, I was initially excited about the prospect of having someone with his pedigree in charge at St. George. That is until I read some of his demands regarding renewal at the Cowboys.
Percentage of club revenue etc.??
That alone just turned me off him completely.
We don't need mercenaries at our club.
However the other option is still on the horizon and that is Bellamy.
I think he would be a great fit for our club.
With the roster we now have and the juniors coming through, he would add value to the current situation and put is in a position to win premierships for many years to come.
With all due respect to McGregor and his current string of victories, he is not in the same class as either Green or Bellamy.
Our Board should be looking for the best of the best in terms of our coach and not be prepared to compromise and cow tow to factional biases.
McGregor is and will always be a compromise but like you, I believe that anything better than 8th will be promoted as an astounding achievement by a "career coach" who has built the "team he finally wanted" and all the other BS we are fed from the club spin doctors.
So to the powers that be - grow some balls and make the biggest and most important decision you will ever make for this club.
Sign a long term coaching solution like Bellamy and watch the club become the true premiership powerhouse it should be.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Parramatta did it last year winning 11 of their last 13 premiership games and got knocked out in the second week of the semis. They look like they will miss the semis this year.
Great post and on the money.
2018 shapes as being an improved year for the club given the addition, in particular, of Hunt.
That does not necessarily mean that our coaching smarts have improved.
We have a big steamroller pack of forwards that is making our backline look like superstars at the moment and I am enjoying every minute of it..
So the issue boils down to whether the club is prepared to upgrade our coaching structure with the aim of winning a premiership or two and bringing some glory back to the St. George club.
With Green now a distinct possibility and with Bellamy also off contract, there is a window of opportunity to take the club to a different level.
When I read the article about Green, I was initially excited about the prospect of having someone with his pedigree in charge at St. George. That is until I read some of his demands regarding renewal at the Cowboys.
Percentage of club revenue etc.??
That alone just turned me off him completely.
We don't need mercenaries at our club.
However the other option is still on the horizon and that is Bellamy.
I think he would be a great fit for our club.
With the roster we now have and the juniors coming through, he would add value to the current situation and put is in a position to win premierships for many years to come.
With all due respect to McGregor and his current string of victories, he is not in the same class as either Green or Bellamy.
Our Board should be looking for the best of the best in terms of our coach and not be prepared to compromise and cow tow to factional biases.
McGregor is and will always be a compromise but like you, I believe that anything better than 8th will be promoted as an astounding achievement by a "career coach" who has built the "team he finally wanted" and all the other BS we are fed from the club spin doctors.
So to the powers that be - grow some balls and make the biggest and most important decision you will ever make for this club.
Sign a long term coaching solution like Bellamy and watch the club become the true premiership powerhouse it should be.
I have never heard of a coach asking for a % of the clubs revenue. lol

I think Bellamy would be our best option too.

ouryears

Bench
He didn't take them, the players self motivation took themselves to the GF. Again nucleus was there.
What the....?
Have you ever played a sport?
There are bad coaches and there are good coaches.
Of course Green got them up for each semi final and into the big one.
Yes the players need skill and talent.....but Green created the environment to get them there.

Mary couldn't get us past the grubs in the final match.

A good coach makes a team.

Last edited:

Saintsified

Bench
Self motivation is almost an oxymoron in this instance. Players can only do this if the environment set up by the coaching staff is conducive to this behaviour. It is why some teams can do it and other cannot. The Cowboys have shown over many years they can recover from poor starts to be very competitive. If the Dragons has the right coach they would be right in the mix but I think they’ll be found wanting.
Yes but only if the players themselves are capable and are high achievers, Cowboys had that. Doubt they will this year and Green will be then regarded an average coach who got lucky.