What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test line up Vs India

not sure what the status is of this years proposed tests against Zimbabwe & Bangladesh, so just going with India being our next test match.

I think some outside the box thinking is needed on selections against India, especially the batting side of things.

I don’t think some of our batsmen are mentally tough enough to endure what’s ahead either.

Burns
Renshaw
Ferguson
Labuschagne
Head
Paine (needs to bat higher)
M.Marsh/Maxwell
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood/Sayers (Josh Hazlewood’s form has been a bit disappointing of recent)
Lyon

Obviously I don’t think this will happen, Australian selectors don’t have the guts for a big overhaul.

Timbo

Staff member
They are, quite frankly, mad if they don't press ahead with the series against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. I'd even be scrambling to see if we couldn't book in Ireland for two tests in early September too in Cairns and Townsville.

What we really need right now are a few test series in the middle of winter that nobody gives a shit about and barely anyone watches due to the footy season and time of year. Let these guys gel a bit with no pressure.

I don't mind the looks of your side, i quite like Labuschagne. But there's no way they'll drop a Darsh brother, they'll cite 'experience'.

They are, quite frankly, mad if they don't press ahead with the series against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. I'd even be scrambling to see if we couldn't book in Ireland for two tests in early September too in Cairns and Townsville.

What we really need right now are a few test series in the middle of winter that nobody gives a shit about and barely anyone watches due to the footy season and time of year. Let these guys gel a bit with no pressure.

I don't mind the looks of your side, i quite like Labuschagne. But there's no way they'll drop a Darsh brother, they'll cite 'experience'.

I’m not sure what’s going on with those matches, no grounds have been scheduled to host the Bangladesh series from what I can tell.

I know what you mean about Shaun Marsh, they’ll say we need the experience, but he’s just so mentally weak. Hardly ever scores under pressure. Ditto Khawaja.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Now is the time to be looking at a few others rather than recycling the tried and failed fringe players like Maxwell.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Well I did include Labuschagne & Head.

It’s pretty slim pickings out there though.

yeh, your team wasn't too shabby, I think its only a matter of time till Head gets a run, people like to quote his 4 days stats but he has been a very good ODI player for us and I guess its a judgement call at this stage as to whether he converts that to test match form

yeh, your team wasn't too shabby, I think its only a matter of time till Head gets a run, people like to quote his 4 days stats but he has been a very good ODI player for us and I guess its a judgement call at this stage as to whether he converts that to test match form

His FC record isn’t great, but then no one’s really is.

Mid to high 30’s averages seem the order of the day. Plus Head had a good season this year.

JJ

Immortal
Be interesting to see how long they persevere with Khawaja - he's so awful on anything other than a highway

The Marsh's will (and probably should) stay, Renshaw, Burns, Paine, Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc and Lyon - that's the makings of a decent team.

As I've said elsewhere, I still like your chances of beating anyone at home with those three quicks - on bouncy and/or flat decks they're the best there is - and the batting is good enough to keep you in the game in your conditions

Anything other that Australian-like conditions you struggle anyway

Timbo

Staff member
Head has signed a full season deal for Worcestershire in county cricket. They have an extremely weak batting lineup (Moeen Ali bats at 3 for them) and he's expected to score heavily for them. I think this will be the make or break of him as a potential test cricketer.

Be interesting to see how long they persevere with Khawaja - he's so awful on anything other than a highway

The Marsh's will (and probably should) stay, Renshaw, Burns, Paine, Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc and Lyon - that's the makings of a decent team.

As I've said elsewhere, I still like your chances of beating anyone at home with those three quicks - on bouncy and/or flat decks they're the best there is - and the batting is good enough to keep you in the game in your conditions

Anything other that Australian-like conditions you struggle anyway

If we do play Pakistan in the UAE, which looks likely, they’ll probably follow the formula from India by dropping Khawaja. He can’t play spin to save his life.

Same tour will probably save Shaun Marsh in the short term.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Just put all the names of current Shield players and anyone who's played for Australia in the past 40 years in a hat and pull them out.

Couldn't be any worse......

TheParraboy

Staff member
Head has signed a full season deal for Worcestershire in county cricket. They have an extremely weak batting lineup (Moeen Ali bats at 3 for them) and he's expected to score heavily for them. I think this will be the make or break of him as a potential test cricketer.

Agree with this, but needs to get some runs here and in shield next summer

However im suspecting he might be the t20 and ODI skipper (he is suited better in these formats)

With the 2019 and 2010 world cups in both formats, maybe too much to be in the test side, when currently averaging mid 30s in FC?

TheParraboy

Staff member
We have a couple of Shield games prior the first test?

Id say 2-3 spots could be because of form here

The weird thing is, if guys like Cameron White hits a couple of Shield tons early, he could make his way in the side

for what its worth

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
SMarsh (not sure, love a fit Chris Lynn to take this spot)
No idea - Handscomb? Maxwell? Head? White?
MMarsh (gun in the ashes, stupidity to piss him off v India on home turf)
Paine (c)
Starc
Cummins (vc)
Lyon
Haze

tomdl

Bench
Agree with this, but needs to get some runs here and in shield next summer

However im suspecting he might be the t20 and ODI skipper (he is suited better in these formats)

With the 2019 and 2010 world cups in both formats, maybe too much to be in the test side, when currently averaging mid 30s in FC?

Finch will be T20 and ODI captain.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Sean Marsh will be in a wheelchair by next summer and no to Cameron White

Latest posts