What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Blitz

mave

Coach
I watched u8s on the weekend and it didn't happen there either!

Good for you.
There is a ref on the coast that is a Checcin (from round 4) clone. Makes for sht footy for the boys and for the parents/ coaches.

I'm simply asking why some levels of RL enforce/interpret the rules of the game differently to another level of RL.
Specifically comparing 1st grade to 2nd grade.

If NRL decide to suddenly enforce rules that have been relaxed for a decade, surely they would work with their partners in the grade below ( where most of the upcoming NRL players will come from) to adjudicate that grade in a similar fashion ??

If you wish to compare NRL to under 8's, then have at it.

Vee

First Grade
You're only working on a theory though.

If that is in fact the strategy by 9, it's a poor one. I no longer watch 9's coverage because their commentary team is so poor. And when I do happen to catch them, it's Gould who stands out as the worst of the bunch.
Geez, it's a hot field.

tripster

Juniors
Coaches win, the refs have slackened off. Parra were offside all day. It was a total waste of time.

Except the Cam Smith binning.

Yep, was thinking the same thing. Crackdown is over. Unless they are only saving it for games involving the Storm (which I would be completely happy with).

Grapple

Bench
This is off topic slightly, but does anyone else miss seeing lifting/spare tackles? I mean obvious player welfare and all that, but watching Tony Williams today reminded me of his tackle on De Gois and I kinda had a sweet nostalgia moment. Gone are the days.

Life's Good

Coach
This is off topic slightly, but does anyone else miss seeing lifting/spare tackles? I mean obvious player welfare and all that, but watching Tony Williams today reminded me of his tackle on De Gois and I kinda had a sweet nostalgia moment. Gone are the days.
Surely you’re not serious? Im no wowser but lifting/spear tackles are simply dangerous and don’t represent anything tough or good about the game. Just ask Alex McKinnon or any number of players who have been severely injured as a result.

txta2

Bench
But you know it will go back to tunnel ball and shit. It nearly always happens.
I thought the 2nd ref was brought in to clear up the ruck area!?

Stallion

First Grade

Hope not. Their was a few examples of unpredictability in the play the ball scenario that added spice to the flow of the game. Undeniably a good move by the NRL. It has brought back credibility to a major aspect of the code and added to its attractiveness.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach

Yep the players will gradually start testing it out as the season progresses.

Willie Ray

Bench
Thought yesterday's and today's games were entertaining! It was noticeable the players were playing the ball properly. Think the refereeing blitz, especially on the play the ball is working for the betterment of the code! Well done NRL!
yep...and the Cam Smith sinbinning was nearly as much fun as watching Remy LaCroix with a hula hoop.

Springs09

Juniors
Good for you.
There is a ref on the coast that is a Checcin (from round 4) clone. Makes for sht footy for the boys and for the parents/ coaches.

I'm simply asking why some levels of RL enforce/interpret the rules of the game differently to another level of RL.
Specifically comparing 1st grade to 2nd grade.

If NRL decide to suddenly enforce rules that have been relaxed for a decade, surely they would work with their partners in the grade below ( where most of the upcoming NRL players will come from) to adjudicate that grade in a similar fashion ??

If you wish to compare NRL to under 8's, then have at it.

It used to be the NRL vs everywhere else. The NRL has a whole different book of 'interpretations' compared to the rest of rugby league. The NRL would decide when and where certain rules would be enforced, because they are refereeing for TV ratings instead of to the laws.

Play a game of country footy and the rules are enforced, there are penalties everywhere if a team is ill-disciplined. When we play stupid we'd rarely defend for a full set before giving away a penalty. Sharks v Storm was just the ref finally penalising two deliberately ill-disciplined sides.

no name

Coach
It used to be the NRL vs everywhere else. The NRL has a whole different book of 'interpretations' compared to the rest of rugby league. The NRL would decide when and where certain rules would be enforced, because they are refereeing for TV ratings instead of to the laws.

Play a game of country footy and the rules are enforced, there are penalties everywhere if a team is ill-disciplined. When we play stupid we'd rarely defend for a full set before giving away a penalty. Sharks v Storm was just the ref finally penalising two deliberately ill-disciplined sides.
NRL is a completely different game to rugby league.

Saxon

Bench
Refs have backed off massively since last Saturday. 4 penalties in 25 minutes and these teams are no way twice as disciplined as the teams last week.

Stallion

First Grade
Play the balls have been good since half way through round two - so that worked. I don't think the offside has got miraculously better though.

Yes. I'm thankfull for that anyway. It's been a blight on the game for far too long. A good play the ball is refreshing to watch and shows discipline fromy the players. It's a positive move by the referees and the codes football department.

Spau

Juniors
It has always been a problem in NRL, how can referees stop teams deliberately giving away penalties near the try line to stop the opposition scoring a try, so they only get 2 points put on them? This is especially relevant in recent times since it is so easy to give away penalties with the high penalty rate.... so how can it be stopped?

Latest posts