What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 5 vs Storm @ Mt Smart Stadium

Who will win? Round 5: Wests Tigers v Storm

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vic Mackey

Referee
Was anybody else extremely confident we'd close it out when it got to 10 all?

We seemed calm whilst the Storm looked panicked. The team trusts each other and know how to get it done.

simmo05

Bench
I would like to see fonua and nofo take kev and mwz's spot, but the way they are playing at the moment, no-one should lose their spot. This is a proper footy team!

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Was anybody else extremely confident we'd close it out when it got to 10 all?

We seemed calm whilst the Storm looked panicked. The team trusts each other and know how to get it done.
When other teams stick it to the storm when the heat is on this year they don't respond as they used to. Their window is rapidly slamming shut and it frightens the bejjebers out of them.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I would like to see fonua and nofo take kev and mwz's spot, but the way they are playing at the moment, no-one should lose their spot. This is a proper footy team!

I'm ok with Kev for now. I know it's harsh but agree with MWZ out for Nofa. Malaki just adds nothing. His hit ups don't bust tackles or get us on a roll. He isn't a great finisher ( I know it was a good tackle by Vunivalu but I also have no doubts Nofa scores) and his first contact in defence is poor. I'm all for rewarding guys who have put in Over the pre season but they then need to match that on the field.

From a spectators point of view it wasn’t a great spectacle but im still rapt with the commitment from the team,to beat the Storm twice in one season is not something that a lot of teams can boast about.
On a negative note,What is it with Godinet kicking?twice in a week his rubbish kicks have put enormous pressure back on us and why on earth does our fullback have to lock into scrums,with Slaters try he was no where to be seen.
With our forward roster I wonder if IC will start rotating and resting players to keep them fresh as there is a long season ahead.

Vic Mackey

Referee
With our forward roster I wonder if IC will start rotating and resting players to keep them fresh as there is a long season ahead.

I’ve thought that too. We play a power game with both hit ups and attack going into the collisions hard. Whilst it’s great to have depth I would hate to lose guys like Packer and Mats in big games as I feel their prescence lifts the guys.

When you’ve got Sue, Grant, McQueen and JJ playing nsw cup you’d be silly not to rest a bigger name forward every few weeks and give one of these guys a run.

simmo05

Bench
I'm ok with Kev for now. I know it's harsh but agree with MWZ out for Nofa. Malaki just adds nothing. His hit ups don't bust tackles or get us on a roll. He isn't a great finisher ( I know it was a good tackle by Vunivalu but I also have no doubts Nofa scores) and his first contact in defence is poor. I'm all for rewarding guys who have put in Over the pre season but they then need to match that on the field.
Im no kev fan, however he is playing out of his skin. Cant sack him. If Nofo comes in i couldnt pair him with kev, remember the diabolical defence last year!

There is no free ride into fg now,every player is accountable for their effort as well as their performance,thank god the days of bludgers like Curtis Sironen are well and truely over,you can tell when someone like Sue gets his opportunity in fg that he is not going to let anyone down .

Tiger05

First Grade
You would demote Twal and Eiso? They both shit all over "packerlino".

It's really hard to know who to drop isn't it. Packerlino aren't getting dropped although I can see your point. Aloiai has to stay and he went good because he was played as a prop.

Lawrence is killing it on the edge and Rochow has been good. Chee-Kam is also playing exceptionally well on the edge.

Tiger05

First Grade
Nof can return to FG when he stops the up and in defence. Several of them today in ISP and thankfully they had cover to stop tries being scored against them.

Nofo was great again and he was great defensively. Fonua is just as good with better hit-ups but some stupid mistakes in his game.

stryker

First Grade
Noffo's defensive reads are not first grade standard. That said, we need his power running to start our sets off.
MWZ adds nothing. He always manages to record good stats but remains innefective. Very much reminds me of Woods in this way.
Lolo was very quiet again. Less than 50 run meters from our fullback is way too low. That position is certainly up for grabs.
Benji, god love him, was the second worst player out there. Crabbing across field, crowding his runners. Dropped balls, poor kicks. Poor passing game. Possibly trying too hard? Keep that up and Ivan's decision is made easier re: Reynolds. Benj has been good this year as he is playing a minimilistic role. Today he was too involved and the errors flowed.
We still dont have a true no.9. Liddle does some good work with ball but he fades quickly and is easily isolated in defence. Godinet is an aweful distributer of a football. His defensive attitude is first class but the amount of balls that miss their mark when he is in dummyhalf is way too high.

To read this summary you would think we have been getting flogged each week. Im amazed we are 4 and 1. This team has A LOT of improvement in it yet is knocking off class opposition. With space for 3 more passengers, this bus looks headed for lofty places. The attitude and fitness levels are right. A few added skill based players and the team will remain very tough to beat.

Das Hassler

Bench
Winning with Benji knowing he was a mess out there today and Reynolds being right to go will all but guarantee a sublime game from him next week.....5 rounds in i'd rather have their enthusiastic minds on a bunch of stuff to be worked on rather than winning easily this early and needing to keep them grounded and hungry with a long season to go.....momentum and timing...the season is shaping up very well indeed!

I prefer Nofo and Fonua to be in the team but Kev and MWZ don’t deserve to be dropped,as for our prop rotation in the past it was clearly noticeable when our starting props would go off,that’s not the case now with the likes of Twal,JA and Huff.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Noffo's defensive reads are not first grade standard. That said, we need his power running to start our sets off.
MWZ adds nothing. He always manages to record good stats but remains innefective. Very much reminds me of Woods in this way.
Lolo was very quiet again. Less than 50 run meters from our fullback is way too low. That position is certainly up for grabs.
Benji, god love him, was the second worst player out there. Crabbing across field, crowding his runners. Dropped balls, poor kicks. Poor passing game. Possibly trying too hard? Keep that up and Ivan's decision is made easier re: Reynolds. Benj has been good this year as he is playing a minimilistic role. Today he was too involved and the errors flowed.
We still dont have a true no.9. Liddle does some good work with ball but he fades quickly and is easily isolated in defence. Godinet is an aweful distributer of a football. His defensive attitude is first class but the amount of balls that miss their mark when he is in dummyhalf is way too high.

To read this summary you would think we have been getting flogged each week. Im amazed we are 4 and 1. This team has A LOT of improvement in it yet is knocking off class opposition. With space for 3 more passengers, this bus looks headed for lofty places. The attitude and fitness levels are right. A few added skill based players and the team will remain very tough to beat.

You make some good points. Lolohea and Godinet play in key positions and are not first grade quality.

I think Thompson is much better at fullback in positioning/support play+ high balls. Tui is very slow and unfit

mepelthwack

Juniors
Ivan can’t be making wholesale changes simply sends the wrong message having said that we have a real depth squad for once and a couple of subtle changes, even after this win wouldn’t go astray.

Having said that, the loss of either Eisenhuth and Twal would impact us hard imo, they get to stay all year. If we keep this up and no reason why we can’t it has a hell of a lot to do with what these guys do all day week in and week out.

For now we have to look at fitting Reynolds and ET back into the 17. Seems straight forward that Godinet makes way for Reynolds who then rotates between 5/8 and hooker as needed, not for a full 80 minutes yet just eased into it and the 2 spots go between he, Benji and Liddle.

ET replaces Packer purely due to injury, Eisenhuth, Twal and Aloiai play prop at various stages along with Mataulino.

I agree about MWZ and nofo. Let’s face it Nofo gets that bounce he scores. I don’t know that making 3 changes after such a big win is ideal perhaps retain MWZ for another week and see how it goes.

Vozzy

Juniors
Sounds like Russel packer picked up a serious injury. If Elijah Taylor is back Eisenhuth can move to front row. Sue was 18th man so he may be close to selection.

If Reynolds is back I can only see maybe MCK making way even though he is good in the final 20 no way you can drop Twal or Aloiai after yesterday. Liddle must only be able to play 40min this stage due to match fitness so probably have to stick with Godinet. He doesn't offer much in attack but he is a solid defender. Godinet ideas are OK but poor execution like the kick in goal was the right option even last week Benji scores if it stays in.

BrotherJim05

Bench
by the sounds of this thread no tigers "fans" even bothered watching because they thought it would be a thrashing

You are almost as pathetic as the effort your team puts up on a daily basis. You're basically a turd that cleaners don't bother picking up, because nobody really pays attention to your existence. You and your opinions are insignificant. f**k off

BrotherJim05

Bench
Thompson is a far better fullback than Lolohea. Is like to see Thompson wear the #1 for the next few games

Latest posts