What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

BennyV

Referee
Yes but still the players are coming to the club and he's the coach. So on that basis he deserves some credit. He says he has the team he wants so I'm sure he has had some input.
Huh? When the roster was being criticised the last 2 years, he gladly pushed the blame to recruitment. Now he deserves credit for it being up to scratch?

BennyV

Referee
Do you think he has improved as a coach this year?
Too early to say - his real deficiencies were well hidden in the opening rounds last year (save for Round 2) and as soon as he started losing, the bullshit excuses started popping up again!

I can see a bit of strategy and tactic in our game plan, that’s been missing for a while. I like the creativity behind what he’s doing with Mann. But still some glaring holes in his coaching ability. I have little-to-no confidence we can win the big one under him.

Bench
Every team has suffered injuries so far this season. So no need for any changes. Luck, maybe, or congrats to the trainers.
If we do have a player that will test our Coach. SOO is an even bigger test.
That and the use of the bench is going to see whether McIdiot has the brains to cover the loses

giboz71

First Grade
If we’re basing on how the players are performing, then I think he’s going ok.

Vaughan, McInnes and Nene are playing their best footy under him, better than at their previous clubs. JDB and Friz have also gone to the next level under his watch. And it’s so far so good with Dufty. And in general, they sure do look like a happy bunch this year.

Man management is an important part of coaching. I don’t think he’s an astute tactican by any means but it seems he’s got this right.

We have a top 4 set of forwards

We have a top 4 set of halves

The backline look good as a result of the space being created by the spine players.

Dufty gives us long range strike capability.

Given the cattle what does Mary actually do at the moment to deserve praise ?

Am happy the players like him.

Would prefer that they fear and respect Mary.

If the team fails to finish in the top 6 he should close the door quietly as he exits.

If we finish top 4, give him a 12 month extension.

ouryears

Bench
We have a top 4 set of forwards

We have a top 4 set of halves

The backline look good as a result of the space being created by the spine players.

Dufty gives us long range strike capability.

Given the cattle what does Mary actually do at the moment to deserve praise ?

Am happy the players like him.

Would prefer that they fear and respect Mary.

If the team fails to finish in the top 6 he should close the door quietly as he exits.

If we finish top 4, give him a 12 month extension.
No extensions unless we are in the GF

ouryears

Bench
If we’re basing on how the players are performing, then I think he’s going ok.

Vaughan, McInnes and Nene are playing their best footy under him, better than at their previous clubs. JDB and Friz have also gone to the next level under his watch. And it’s so far so good with Dufty. And in general, they sure do look like a happy bunch this year.

Man management is an important part of coaching. I don’t think he’s an astute tactican by any means but it seems he’s got this right.
It's round 5.
And it's players like Hunt and Graham who have impacted the other players, not Mary.

Yes they like Mary, same as we like our Aunty who was usually nice to us but we didn't always like our parents who might have pulled us up on things and expected more from us.

The jury remains out until late Sept in my book.

giboz71

First Grade
It's round 5.
And it's players like Hunt and Graham who have impacted the other players, not Mary.

Yes they like Mary, same as we like our Aunty who was usually nice to us but we didn't always like our parents who might have pulled us up on things and expected more from us.

Do you not think that the guys I have mentioned - Vaughan, McInnes, Nene, JDB, Friz etc are now playing their best footy under Mary?

They’ve been with Mary for a while now and were playing good footy before this year.

ouryears

Bench
Do you not think that the guys I have mentioned - Vaughan, McInnes, Nene, JDB, Friz etc are now playing their best footy under Mary?

They’ve been with Mary for a while now and were playing good footy before this year.
We won approx 2 from the final 11 games last year, so the players mentioned had maybe 9 decent games from 24 last year.

Add 5 games this year.

That's not an endorsement yet.
If they hadn't fallen in a hole last year fair enough, but they all did.
5 games this year isn't redemption.....let's wait.

Just on McInnes ....he needs to show more in attack, like cook at Souths. We can't win big games if he doesn't spark up a bit more.

Time will tell. But 2/11 last year is way too raw.

Drag Queen

Bench
It's round 5.

The jury remains out until late Sept in my book.[/QU
It's round 5.

Exactly. Mary is a friend to all his players. They don't need a friend, they need a coach.

Draginzaaar

Bench
No way Crush. Mary is still an inadequate coach. The boys are playing for themselves. Mary is still playing with the bench and still getting it wrong. Sele and Mann should be utilised more and young Luc needs to play ISP. Sorry to disagree with you on this one.
Why do you think you are better coach than he is? There has been heaps of improvements by the players, LAM playing out of his skin, JBD improving on last year. See how we are going after Round 10, then we can tell how he's going.

ouryears

Bench
Are you talking about the master coach who led your club to its first and only premiership?
There we go, in case you aren't computer literate. Now how many in front of you are we?!?

Dragons
Follow the performance of the Dragons in the largest St George Illawrarra Dragons forum anywhere on the internet.

Established 1921. Coach: Paul McGregor. Premierships: 1941, 1949, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1977, 1979, 2010

Latest posts