What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown v Wayne Bennett

myrrh ken

First Grade
Paywall trash

As said above, blocked by the paywall. Wanna copy and paste it for us?

DISLIKES
BELOW THE BELT

NATHAN Brown should be ashamed of himself over his cheap taunting of Wayne Bennett.

Say what you like about the morality of Bennett’s private life but I felt the reference to Bennett thinking with his “little head’’ was a worse dig than Quinton de Kock’s infamous sledge at David Warner.

Dreadful as it was, de Kock’s sledge was a spur-of-the-moment eruption from a normally sedate cricketer who never intended it to reach the public arena. Brown’s was a cold, premeditated barb designed to humiliate a man and his partner in the public arena. Rubbish.

Knights coach Nathan Brown’s attack on Wayne Bennett was shameful, says Robert Craddock. (Mark Nolan/Getty Images)
HISTORY HURTS

RUGBY league coaches have long memories.

I wonder whether Brown’s anguish with Bennett stretches well beyond a pre-match taunt before the Broncos-Knights game to all the way back to when he was sacked at the Dragons before Bennett arrived back in 2009.

No matter what the reason, Brown, especially as a coach whose job it is to set standards, should have known better.

BENNETT’S CREED

IF in doubt, it generally pays to tap a player on the shoulder a year early rather than a year late – for his sake and yours.

That was the Bennett creed in the Broncos glory days and it is a dangerous one to break now.

Bennett has all but guaranteed Sam Thaiday, who has given such exceptional service to the club, will play out the season but his form suggests it could be a rugged winter.

Saxon

Bench
Interesting being in Newcastle today.
Everywhere I went it was brought up in conversation, and almost invariably the response was in Browny's favour. The biggest cause of contention was where they should erect the statue of him.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
DISLIKES
BELOW THE BELT

NATHAN Brown should be ashamed of himself over his cheap taunting of Wayne Bennett.

Say what you like about the morality of Bennett’s private life but I felt the reference to Bennett thinking with his “little head’’ was a worse dig than Quinton de Kock’s infamous sledge at David Warner.

Dreadful as it was, de Kock’s sledge was a spur-of-the-moment eruption from a normally sedate cricketer who never intended it to reach the public arena. Brown’s was a cold, premeditated barb designed to humiliate a man and his partner in the public arena. Rubbish.

Knights coach Nathan Brown’s attack on Wayne Bennett was shameful, says Robert Craddock. (Mark Nolan/Getty Images)
HISTORY HURTS

RUGBY league coaches have long memories.

I wonder whether Brown’s anguish with Bennett stretches well beyond a pre-match taunt before the Broncos-Knights game to all the way back to when he was sacked at the Dragons before Bennett arrived back in 2009.

No matter what the reason, Brown, especially as a coach whose job it is to set standards, should have known better.

BENNETT’S CREED

IF in doubt, it generally pays to tap a player on the shoulder a year early rather than a year late – for his sake and yours.

That was the Bennett creed in the Broncos glory days and it is a dangerous one to break now.

Bennett has all but guaranteed Sam Thaiday, who has given such exceptional service to the club, will play out the season but his form suggests it could be a rugged winter.

Ahhhh the media. The crowd that give you shit if you say nothing, and give you shit if you say something.

f**k off Crash. It's not like Brown initiated it. As I said previously the old man needed to be put on his arse, he think he walks above water. Now he might think twice.

betcats

Referee
f**k Wayne. Biggest muppet going round. Talks about young footy players like he actually gives a f**k about people and wants the best for them(as long as they don't sign at another club) but he's happy to have young troubled muppets like James Roberts going around spitting on chicks and getting choked out in clubs and not face any consequences, because that's whats best for James lol f**king old fool the games passed you by give it up, Bennetts decision making since Newcastle has been questionable as f**k.

betcats

Referee
Also for those saying Wayne was just answering a question and the media has spun this up....Puuuleassssseee Wayne never said anything to the media that wasn't completely calculated.

Diesel

Referee
I see the pro-Bennett idiots are in full force.

I hope Toddy hasn’t allowed the pro-Bennett media fiction stories to be paid out of the contra deal.

perverse

Referee
Brown was so tough. For about 12 hours then he rang Bennett to apologize.

What head was Brown thinking with then?
I didn't see Brown say he apologised to Wayne. He said he called Wayne and has put it behind him, and that he called Ikin to apologise for any effect it has had on his family, that his beef was with Wayne and not them.

Felt like he somewhat stood his ground, to be honest... whilst giving the media enough to put the issue to bed.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
The next Knights home match will most likely have fans with enlarged Bennett facemasks on.

Wonder if this has saga anything to do with the poor crowds at NRL games and being thumped in the TV ratings by the commonwealth games?

I mean for example,just 10,000 fans at the Panthers V Parra match?
Does anyone watch the Commonwealth games?

RazorRam0n

Juniors
I didn't see Brown say he apologised to Wayne. He said he called Wayne and has put it behind him, and that he called Ikin to apologise for any effect it has had on his family, that his need was with Wayne and not them.

Felt like he somewhat stood his ground, to be honest... whilst giving the media enough to put the issue to bed.

i've got no doubt they both had a good go at each other to and agreed to disagree, you could tell by the way browny didn't want to confirm if the hatchet was burried between them and that he didn't want to create another shitstorm

perverse

Referee
i've got no doubt they both had a good go at each other to and agreed to disagree, you could tell by the way browny didn't want to confirm if the hatchet was burried between them and that he didn't want to create another shitstorm
That was my take on it, too.

Iafeta

Referee
Interesting being in Newcastle today.
Everywhere I went it was brought up in conversation, and almost invariably the response was in Browny's favour. The biggest cause of contention was where they should erect the statue of him.

Wouldn’t be the first erection in this fracas