What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who can also read

Parra

Referee
Drunks & Monks - it's a great read

Here's a review -( better and more effort than I would put in ):

A thirty-four year old entertainment lawyer from Los Angeles has a bad week: His wife throws him out in the middle of a rainstorm, his mother gets diagnosed with a deadly cancer, and in grief he abruptly resigns his prestigious job after his biggest success in a major copyright case. What happens to a man used to getting what he wants when the wheels come off his carefully-planned, glamorous life? Does he:

(a) Pick up a slug of brown liquor for the first time and visit parts of town where the devil won't go?

(b) Engage in hideously destructive behavior, rampaging across Southern California like a tipsy Visigoth?

(c) Plumb the depths of his psyche and spirit to find the meaning of life and heal old wounds?

(d) Stumble across an ancient religious order and explore the reaches of classical spiritual practice?

In his debut literary memoir, Drunks & Monks, author John H. Carmichael answers (e) All of the Above, and much more, as he chronicles a seven year descent into darkness and near death along with a subsequent renewal. This true story is told in a spare, lyrical style. The author's physical, psychological and spiritual survival is aided by many denizens of the great swath of Southern California he describes so well, but none so much as members of a monastery who help heal the author's spirit and teach him timeless truths. The book deals adroitly with matters of concern to many, including the drama of divorce, caring for the gravely ill, recovering from addictions of various sorts, the role of religion and spirituality in modern life and, ultimately, post-traumatic growth.

gUt

Coach
Making the arduou journey through Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series.

Third attempt to make it through them and I’m equal with where I lost steam back in 2012.

The first six books flew by, but the seventh has been a real toil so far.

Seven to go!

I seem to recall it was about then his missus started co-writing the series with him? And there were whole pages devoted to the colours of the robes of the Aes Sedai? I mean I'm not saying women can't write worth a damn but ffs go bake a quiche instead you know?

gUt

Coach
meantime I've finished the new book in the Trainspotting canon called Dead Man's Trousers, and started on the new John Connolly - The Woman in the Woods.

Parra

Referee
I've made my way through a number of historic motor racing biographies and recollections. Fangio, Le Mans , Phil Hill & Ferrari - happy to share details.

Another theme I am sort of midway through is books about Everest. This is absolutely fascinating and riveting reading. The tragedies, triumphs, analysis and arguments are all so real.

I started with Into Thin Air - what a cracking read. After this it is impossible not to want to know more - and there is plenty of material out there.

sandshark

Bench
Making the arduou journey through Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series.

Third attempt to make it through them and I’m equal with where I lost steam back in 2012.

The first six books flew by, but the seventh has been a real toil so far.

Seven to go!
Interesting series but I didn't enjoy the last half of it. Jordan (and Sanderson) write women characters pretty badly I think.
I had to skip certain character chapters because they were going nowhere and bored the shit out of me.

Iafeta

Referee
Reading Burke & Wills by Peter Fitzsimons. I like how he brings history alive into a laymen’s terms fair dinkum story - keeps the story moving and the context is easily identifiable.

I’m also reading A Short History of Nearly Everything. Science has always been a bit fancy for me but I can’t put this one down. Some of the major historical scientists were utter oddities and had outrageous operational constraints to plod through, where you almost think some of historical sciences great finds were flukes.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Got given "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a f**k" as a gift the other day. Gonna give it a go soon

Anyone read it? Thoughts?

Iafeta

Referee
Got given "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a f**k" as a gift the other day. Gonna give it a go soon

Anyone read it? Thoughts?

One of my colleagues swears by it. It’s #1 at the Airport bookstores I invariably find myself in when travelling for work.

Another colleague said it was good, but a bit wishy washy. Personally I think he’s a bit of a headless pissant so I’m probably favouring the first review tbh.

Parra

Referee
I've made my way through a number of historic motor racing biographies and recollections. Fangio, Le Mans , Phil Hill & Ferrari - happy to share details.

Another theme I am sort of midway through is books about Everest. This is absolutely fascinating and riveting reading. The tragedies, triumphs, analysis and arguments are all so real.

I started with Into Thin Air - what a cracking read. After this it is impossible not to want to know more - and there is plenty of material out there.

I'm about 7 books deep into this mountaineering theme. So many great stories.

Parra

Referee
Time again to read The Count of Monte Cristo.

Every year or so I get the urge to read this,

Never disappointed.

King hit

Coach
George piggins - the fight to save the Rabbitohs

Account of Piggins' time with the Rabbitohs as a player, coach and chairman and their fight to re-admission. I found the stories about his playing/working days more interesting than what happened in the 90's. Thought he made some very good points about the negatives of Super League and did like him criticising Meninga and other SL officials for their horrible comments. Had a bit of a grouchy old man persona to the writing style and the book became boring towards the end.

Good read for those who love a fight against top corporations but some of the ranting took it off the subject. 5.5/10

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I seem to recall it was about then his missus started co-writing the series with him? And there were whole pages devoted to the colours of the robes of the Aes Sedai? I mean I'm not saying women can't write worth a damn but ffs go bake a quiche instead you know?

Robert Jordans wife was an editor at tor and edited his books but as the series went on like all successful authors he stopped listening to his editor and the books became more and more bloated.

You are possibly thinking of David Eddings

axl rose

Bench
Alex Mckinnon- Unbroken. mostly a dull account of his childhood. Also would have been nice if this was proofread before publishing. I've never seen so many errors in a book, ever. He didn't miss Cam Smith though so I give him credit for that.

Last edited:

sandshark

Bench
Anybody read The Witcher series?
I'm thinking about giving the books a read since Netflix are developing a TV series.

Currently footing my way through Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive, it is planned to be a 10 book series so I have some time to burn waiting on that to be completed.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Just finished my latest Flashman book, Flashman and the great game.

Another great one in the series. For an historical fiction series they are so well researched. I didn’t know anything about the Indian mutiny which is quite amazing after reading it.

A warning though, these books are not for the easily offended.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Anybody read The Witcher series?
I'm thinking about giving the books a read since Netflix are developing a TV series.

Currently footing my way through Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive, it is planned to be a 10 book series so I have some time to burn waiting on that to be completed.

I read the first book of short stories. It was pretty good. The rest of the series is on my to read list eventually

Latest posts