What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ISP Round 5 v Warriors

1. Watson Heleta
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Lucas Price
18. Braden Robson
5. Mahe Fonua
6. Tyson Gamble
7. Josh Drinkwater
8. JJ Felise
9. Matt McIlwrick
17. Tim Grant
11. Chris McQueen
12. Luke Garner
13. Patrice Siolo
14. Joseph Ratu
15. Bayley Sironen
16. Cowen Epere
19. Sam McIntyre

Drinkwater Stars In Magpies Shut-Out

Western Suburbs Magpies remain top of the Intrust Super Premiership NSW ladder five rounds played, after defeating the Warriors 32-0 at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

Backing up their Round 4, 44-4 win over the Wentworthville Magpies, the Magpies looked every bit impressive in the five-tries-to-nil success over the Auckland-based outfit.

With the backing of a handy home crowd, the Magpies posted first points and gave their rusted-on fans reason to cheer early. Back-rower Luke Garner crashed his way over the line from close range to send the hosts out by four, with halfback Josh Drinkwater slotting the ensuing shot on goal.

In an opening quarter were momentum ebbed and flowed, Drinkwater soon after ran in another six points of his own – the wily half jinking his way through the line to send his side out by 12 points, 27 minutes played.

Lucas Price collected a fortunate bounce to touch down for the side’s third first-half try, before Drinkwater set sail a 49-metre penalty goal on the brink of the break to cap a near-perfect opening 40 minutes for the Magpies.

Full of confidence at the change of ends, Western Suburbs began the second-half as they did the first – crossing for an early try.

A slice of luck saw a Drinkwater kick bounce perfect for his halves partner Tyson Gamble, who nabbed the free ball to score untouched, under the posts. Drinkwater made no mistake from in front, keeping his unblemished record from the kicking tee intact, in sending the Magpies to a 26-0 lead.

The final try was the dominant Mapgies creating something out of nothing when Nofoaluma skipped across-field, threw a ball to Drinkwater who fractured the defence with his running game before putting Fonua over untouched.

The Magpies consolidated their place atop the competition’s ladder with that win, proving they are the in-form side of the Intrust Super Premiership NSW.
https://www.nswrl.com.au/MagpiesWarriors-Rd5-2018

Tiger05

First Grade
f**k they were good. I reckon Nofo has to be in first grade and if Fonua gets some of the dumb errors out of his game he has to be there as well. They are both weapons.

Drinkwater and Gamble are killing them. Our pack is really good as well. Garner was great on the edge and he pulled off some great tackles at critical times. Felise is a great prop as well.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
f**k they were good. I reckon Nofo has to be in first grade and if Fonua gets some of the dumb errors out of his game he has to be there as well. They are both weapons.

Drinkwater and Gamble are killing them. Our pack is really good as well. Garner was great on the edge and he pulled off some great tackles at critical times. Felise is a great prop as well.
Drinkwater looks NRL quality right now, He has honestly got it on a string. I can see any one of Canterbury, Canberra, or Brisbane picking him up. Actually, Melb might be interested as they already have his brother on their books?

MWZ played strongly today but he doesn't have half the talent of Nofa or Fonua

My NRL back 3 is
1. Thompson
2. Nofoaluma
3. Fonua

I can't see Tui or MWZ having much impact at ISP level (or anywhere near as much as Nofo/Fonua are right now)

Tiger05

First Grade
Drinkwater looks NRL quality right now, He has honestly got it on a string. I can see any one of Canterbury, Canberra, or Brisbane picking him up. Actually, Melb might be interested as they already have his brother on their books?

My NRL back 3 is
1. Thompson
2. Nofoaluma
3. Fonua

I can't see Tui or MWZ having much impact at ISP level (or anywhere near as much as Nofo/Fonua are right now)

I think that this is our best back 3 as well but if Tui fires at some point he might make a good go at the no 1 spot.

Tigerm

First Grade

My NRL back 3 is
1. Thompson
2. Nofoaluma
3. Fonua

But who is the goal kicker? Tui has won one or two games for us with his goal kicks and remember he hasn't played every game, needs a bit more time IMO.

ISP Team of the Week.

2 – MAHE FONUA
CLUB: WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES; 2018 TOTW SELECTIONS: 2.

One try, 204 total metres, two line-breaks, four tackle-breaks.

7 – JOSH DRINKWATER
CLUB: WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES; 2018 TOTW SELECTIONS: 3.

One try, six goals, two try-assists, two line-break assists, one line-break, three tackle-breaks.

10 – TIM GRANT
CLUB: WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES; 2018 TOTW SELECTIONS: 0.

163 total metres, four tackle-breaks, 24 tackles.

Drinkwater in 3 teams after 5 rounds, big effort there and actually thought after Qld ISP comp, that Gamble would be the standout.

Interesting to see who else made this weeks team.

9 – ROBBIE FARAH
CLUB: NORTH SYDNEY BEARS; 2018 TOTW SELECTIONS: 0.

One try-assist, two tackle-breaks, 379 kick metres, four offloads, 34 tackles.

4 – MOSES SULI
CLUB: BLACKTOWN WORKERS SEA EAGLES; 2018 TOTW SELECTIONS: 0.

One try-assist, one line-break assist, seven tackle-breaks, 15 hit-ups, 167 total metres.

Tiger05

First Grade
Suli would be in our starting 17 rn if he wasn’t a f**king clown

He is potentially such a good player. If we had him as a starting centre along with Marsters we would look a lot better and we've been good so far.

He is a moron though so what do you do.

magpie_man

Juniors
Suli would be in our starting 17 rn if he wasn’t a f**king clown

On his natural talent alone you'd expect him to stand out in Cup.
Having the disciple and desire to make the step up to Grade is a whole different matter however.

Clifferd

Coach
On his natural talent alone you'd expect him to stand out in Cup.
Having the disciple and desire to make the step up to Grade is a whole different matter however.

Why does he suddenly have the drive to play rugby league again at a shit hole such as Manly? At NSW Cup level mind you, especially since he had a centre spot here virtually guarenteed. Also since he mentioned he had no license, it’s even more difficult to get to the Manly training base

Is it because he’s with his “boys” again?

I just looked at his team for this week and you may be spot on Cliffered.

Maybe what the Tigers could have done is man managed him differently, not taking anything away from IC and what he's doing but perhaps a full on drop to reserves. Pick up and drop off at home and Campbelltown based during the season. Maybe and old Tiger to help him like Hodgo.

Perhaps that what Manly have done Blacktown being a lot closer to home than Brookie.

magpie_man

Juniors
Why does he suddenly have the drive to play rugby league again at a shit hole such as Manly? At NSW Cup level mind you, especially since he had a centre spot here virtually guarenteed. Also since he mentioned he had no license, it’s even more difficult to get to the Manly training base

Who knows; who cares?
Let's not forget that Canterbury gave him the flick lickety split too.
Our short history of playing talent retention is deplorable but this is one that we've gotten right (along with Woods and Moses).
He's cut from the same cloth as a Dave Taylor or Tony Williams or Yileen Gordon - brimming with talent but severely lacking in the brains department.
He's Manly's problem now.

Front-Rower

First Grade
It's interesting how a lot of the guys are going who have left us. They aren't going well at all.

I think it just goes to show that they weren’t team players. They were more for themselves and it shows with a) how we are travelling now, b) that the one’s playing first grade are still getting found out and c) guys were getting a run in first grade because we had no one else and are now stuck in reserve grade

Clifferd

Coach
Who knows; who cares?
Our short history of playing talent retention is deplorable but this is one that we've gotten right (along with Woods and Moses).
He's cut from the same cloth as a Dave Taylor or Tony Williams or Yileen Gordon - brimming with talent but severely lacking in the brains department.

Too true, and I couldn't agree more with the Dave Taylor and Tony Williams comparisons

Tiger Ted

Bench
Who knows; who cares?
Additionally turdesco has been poor for the bondi effluent.He was so bad in Rd 1 that he was man of match for us when we defeated the rorters.What most dickhead sycophantic media commentators ignore or r selectively oblivious to is how ordinary the turd was for us last season.He received a saloon passage into origin team & hasn’t lived up to the hype anticipated by the rugby League community.Im crossing fingers that over the course of his tenure at bondi he is an abject failure.

Latest posts