What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown v Wayne Bennett

Noname36

First Grade
Their 20s were minor prems
Their Harold Matthew's side won the jnr comp
Their sg and nsw cup teams made the finals
15 of their current squad is made from their jnrs
Introduced the high performance unit

You can always check Google to verify these results.

Whether you like bennett or not isn't relevant to these points.

You do realise the Knights have always had strong juniors and a large % of them end up in FG...right?

Noname36

First Grade
We keep hearing when Brown took over what a salary cap mess Bennett left us in.
Let’s actually look at the players that Brown have moved on.
I’m talking about players that didn’t see out their contract due to our salary cap mess which were moved on by Brown.

Let’s see how many were Bennett’s signings and re-signings and how many were Stone/Hagan’s.

Minimum 10 Games.

Bennett:
Akuila Uate
Tryone Roberts

Stone/Hagan:
Trent Hodkinson
Tariq Sims
Korbin Sims
Kade Snowden
Jack Stockwell
Chris Houston
Jake Mamo
Tyler Randell

Other:
Jarrod Mullen (caught cheating)
Chanel Mata’utia (retired early)

Then you have Sione and Gagay that were both re-signed by Stone/Hagan on massive coin but saw out their contract.

I rest my case you honour.

/thread

When has anybody said that Stone and Hagan did a good job? Or did you just make that up to suit your weird agenda?

Bennett absolutely destroyed the Knights squad and cap. He packed the squad full of blokes 1-2 years off retirement with huge front loaded contracts and then skipped town the moment he knew shit was going to hit the fan without trying to fix the mess he'd created. There's no other way you can justify it.

Was Stone the right person to replace Bennett and fix the problem? Absoutely not. He just followed Bennett's strategy of signing/re-signing nuffies to large contracts - however Bennett already did the damage, Stone just wasn't the right person to fix it...but there isn't this deluded view that Stone is some kind of supercoach either.

Also Mullen, Sims and Snowden were signed/re-signed by Bennett not Stone and so if you're going to use them as an example at least get your facts straight jeez.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
No I thought before Wayne there was never a Newcastle junior. Who is Andrew Johns?

The Knights were also U20s minor premiers and won SG ball comp and finals in all other grades during Hagan's tenure too so you're really grasping at straws to try and defend Bennett here.

Woosh

Head Moderator
When has anybody said that Stone and Hagan did a good job? Or did you just make that up to suit your weird agenda?

Bennett absolutely destroyed the Knights squad and cap. He packed the squad full of blokes 1-2 years off retirement with huge front loaded contracts and then skipped town the moment he knew shit was going to hit the fan without trying to fix the mess he'd created. There's no other way you can justify it.

Was Stone the right person to replace Bennett and fix the problem? Absoutely not. He just followed Bennett's strategy of signing/re-signing nuffies to large contracts - however Bennett already did the damage, Stone just wasn't the right person to fix it...but there isn't this deluded view that Stone is some kind of supercoach either.

Wtf you are you even talking about?
Did you even see the list?
Stone and Hagan did 90% of the damage to our roster.

Here’s the list:

Bennett:
Akuila Uate
Tryone Roberts

Stone/Hagan:
Trent Hodkinson
Tariq Sims
Korbin Sims
Kade Snowden
Jack Stockwell
Chris Houston
Jake Mamo
Tyler Randell

Other:

Then you have Sione and Gagay that were both re-signed by Stone/Hagan on massive coin but saw out their contract.

Noname36

First Grade
Wtf you are you even talking about?
Did you even see the list?
Stone and Hagan did 90% of the damage to our roster.

Here’s the list:

Bennett:
Akuila Uate
Tryone Roberts

Stone/Hagan:
Trent Hodkinson
Tariq Sims
Korbin Sims
Kade Snowden
Jack Stockwell
Chris Houston
Jake Mamo
Tyler Randell

Other:

Yes I saw your list but had to stop reading because it's not even accurate. For starters Bennett signed/re-signed Mullen, Sims and Snowden.

Again though like I already said (that you ignored) - Stone made some bad decisions too - he wasn't the right coach to clean up Bennett's mess. Not strong enough to make the touch decisions. Him being stupid doesn't justify how Bennett left the squad in the first place though. If Bennett hadn't packed the squad full of blokes 1-2 years off retirement Stone wouldn't have had to go and throw money at some of those nuffies just to replace the huge hole of players we were left with when Bennett's retirement village all left together.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Yes I saw your list but had to stop reading because it's not even accurate. For starters Bennett signed/re-signed Mullen, Sims and Snowden.

WRONG.
Both Korbin Sims and Snowden both re-signed in 2015 under Stone.

Noname36

First Grade
WRONG.
Both Korbin Sims and Snowden both re-signed in 2015 under Stone.

I was referring to Tariq and Bennett signing Snowden to begin with.

Bennett stupidly took Korbin to Brisbane though so he'd might as well signed Korbin too.

Like I have said a million times though, I've never denied Stone also made bad decisions and wasn't the right person to clean up Bennett's mess. I've never said otherwise.

Woosh

Head Moderator
I was referring to Tariq and Bennett signing Snowden to begin with.

Rofl.
Tariq signed the same week when Bennett announced he was heading back to Brisbane.
Snowden re-signed under Stone.
It was Tinkler that signed Snowden to begin with on big dollars.
You have nfi.
You’re an embarrassment to our fans.

Noname36

First Grade
Rofl.
Tariq signed the same week when Bennett announced he was heading back to Brisbane.
You have nfi.
You’re an embarrassment to our fans.

1. It was well documented at the time that Bennett was important in getting Tariq to the club and as a result people were speculating he might pull out of the deal when he left.

2. Yes Stone re-signed Snowden? And?

3. If you don't think Bennett had anything to do with signing Snowden you're delusional. He had full recruitment authority in 2011 before he arrived at the club in 2012. The Dragons fans were filthy because they felt he was focussing on the Knights while still coaching them.

4. Why do you think Stone had so much space in the squad to sign/re-sign nuffies? Couldn't be because Bennett packed most of the squad with retirees who coincidentally all had to retire just as he ran away could it?

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
It's interesting watching so many people on this forum bag out Bennett for signings using hindsight, but in reality at the time I don't recall much disappointment regarding the signings.

People seem to forget the incredible skill that Knights players have had over the years of playing well around contract time before going off the boil once they have signed. I don't recall negativity about Mullen being resigned as he was in good form around contract time. Snowden and Korbin Sims were ranked very highly by knights supporters in the KOTW weekly votes and at that time, no one that I can recall was saying for the club to get rid of them. Heaps of players fell under this category..

I'm the first to admit that with hindsight, these players should not have been re-signed, but at the time it was hard to be critical of what was going on. The price that certain players were paid is an issue I can agree with however. Tyler Randell being a great example. Thanks Hages....

Woosh

Head Moderator
1. It was well documented at the time that Bennett was important in getting Tariq to the club
2. Yes Stone re-signed Snowden? And?
3. If you don't think Bennett had anything to do with signing Snowden you're delusional. He had full recruitment authority in 2011 before he arrived at the club in 2012. The Dragons fans were filthy because they felt he was focussing on the Knights while still coaching them.
4. Why do you think Stone had so much space in the squad to sign/re-sign nuffies? Couldn't be because Bennett packed most of the squad with retirees who coincidentally all had to retire just as he ran away could it?

Blah blah blah
Here it is for you again.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...s-newcastle-knights-coach-20140710-zt24b.html

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/2396991/tariq-sims-joins-brother-korbin-at-newcastle-knights/

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...n/news-story/cdc3123612d043a3a0e09d4fea3075d9

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...den-concerns-with-tinkler-20110220-1b13e.html

/thread

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
The Knights were also U20s minor premiers and won SG ball comp and finals in all other grades during Hagan's tenure too so you're really grasping at straws to try and defend Bennett here.
Almost 10 years prior. And in that time since? I'm not arguing bennett was the first to help achieve these, I'm arguing he helped restructuring them after some lean years. If bennett destroyed the club as posited by so many, why are the same juniors he helped put through the system now the same juniors being heralded as a new dawn for Newcastle?

It can't be both.

Noname36

First Grade
It's interesting watching so many people on this forum bag out Bennett for signings using hindsight, but in reality at the time I don't recall much disappointment regarding the signings.

People seem to forget the incredible skill that Knights players have had over the years of playing well around contract time before going off the boil once they have signed. I don't recall negativity about Mullen being resigned as he was in good form around contract time. Snowden and Korbin Sims were ranked very highly by knights supporters in the KOTW weekly votes and at that time, no one that I can recall was saying for the club to get rid of them. Heaps of players fell under this category..

I'm the first to admit that with hindsight, these players should not have been resigned, but at the time it was hard to be critical of what was going on. The price that certain players were paid is an issue I can agree with however. Tyler Randell being a great example. Thanks Hages....

I don't have an issue with Bennett signing or re-signing any of those players (although Woosh is using their re-signings as a way to bag Stone).

My issue with Bennett is that he largely packed the squad with blokes extremely close to retirement and then took off without a plan to phase them out and new players in gradually that would have stopped us from hitting rock bottom and needing to pay overs for the players we did to fill the gaps.

Noname36

First Grade

You know just repeating what you already said doesn't make it right?

Tariq said he had spoken to Bennett about coming to the Knights and he was a big reason he did but still wanted to honour the deal when he decided to leave, mainly because of his brother

Snowden signed in 2011 when Stone was coach but it was well reported at the time that Bennett had all the say in players coming to the Knights for 2012 and contracts like he always has.

I'm really not surprised you don't remember any of this considering you only started "following" the Knights suddenly in 2012 though lol.

Noname36

First Grade
How many jnrs did Bennett give debuts in firsts to while he was at the club Mogshat?

You know if his hand wasn't forced in his final year after all the old blokes he crammed into the squad became injured or started having to retire I don't think it would be any.