What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown v Wayne Bennett

Woosh

Head Moderator
You know just repeating what you already said doesn't make it right?

Tariq said he had spoken to Bennett about coming to the Knights and he was a big reason he did but still wanted to honour the deal when he decided to leave, mainly because of his brother

Snowden signed in 2011 when Stone was coach but it was well reported at the time that Bennett had all the say in players coming to the Knights for 2012 and contracts like he always has.

I'm really not surprised you don't remember any of this considering you only started "following" the Knights suddenly in 2012 though lol.

What rubbish.
Here are the facts again:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...s-newcastle-knights-coach-20140710-zt24b.html

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/2396991/tariq-sims-joins-brother-korbin-at-newcastle-knights/

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...n/news-story/cdc3123612d043a3a0e09d4fea3075d9

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...den-concerns-with-tinkler-20110220-1b13e.html

Noname36

First Grade
Almost 10 years prior. And in that time since? I'm not arguing bennett was the first to help achieve these, I'm arguing he helped restructuring them after some lean years. If bennett destroyed the club as posited by so many, why are the same juniors he helped put through the system now the same juniors being heralded as a new dawn for Newcastle?

It can't be both.

I was just using that period as an example. They won the SG ball comp the year before Bennett arrived too. The Knight have always had strong junior sides with good junior coaches (Garth Brennan, Trent Robinson, Mick Crawley, etc.) and a lot of them have made it into FG. From the Knights inception it's been the biggest part of our identify and frankly it's insulting to try and attribute any of it to Bennett. Yes there's no denying it went a bit downhill during the B Smith years (Smithy was a great FG coach though) - but Jeez a monkey could have gotten it back on track with what was already there (not that anyone really believes Bennett would have much to do with the goings on of the junior systems - he wasn't even focussed enough to put any thought into the FG squad).

Noname36

First Grade
Matautai brothers
Mamo
Randell
Tapine
Manatello
Clydesdale
Vaivai (played in your nyc team then debuted for you guys)

8 players from my count.

Were any of those before 2014 when his hand was forced because a significant amount of the squad he built retired and there was no follow up plan?

Noname36

First Grade

I've read them all twice and I don't see how they challenge my point/the facts?

You know you're wrong and you don't know the facts because you had zero interest in the Knights until 2012.

Tell me Woosh - why did Stone have so much space in the squad after Bennett left to be able to sign/re-sign all those players? Couldn't be because the super coach packed the squad with players 1-2 years off retirement with no plans to phase any other establish FG-ers in?

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Were any of those before 2014 when his hand was forced because a significant amount of the squad he built retired and there was no follow up plan?
I was asked how many debuts were handed out. If you want to Wikipedia knock yourself out.

At least we're having a reasonable discussion unlike the the guy who can't argue a single point.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
From the Knights inception it's been the biggest part of our identify and frankly it's insulting to try and attribute any of it to Bennett. Yes there's no denying it went a bit downhill during the B Smith years (Smithy was a great FG coach though) - but Jeez a monkey could have gotten it back on track with what was already there (not that anyone really believes Bennett would have much to do with the goings on of the junior systems - he wasn't even focussed enough to put any thought into the FG squad).
The reality is you guys had some lean years regardless of how much your juniors have been part of your clubs heritage. Bennett came to the club and now your squad is full of promising players when in the years prior you weren't (remember George Carmont?) . If a monkey couldve done it, why did you have the lean years? Obviously something went wrong and needed changing. To think a coach that has a good history of promoting youngsters didn't have anything to do with turning that around is imo, disingenuous. I mean it was even announced in his move that his priority was to help bring the juniors through to reach first grade, because of your history with them.

Noname36

First Grade
The reality is you guys had some lean years regardless of how much your juniors have been part of your clubs heritage. Bennett came to the club and now your squad is full of promising players when in the years prior you weren't (remember George Carmont?) . If a monkey couldve done it, why did you have the lean years? Obviously something went wrong and needed changing. To think a coach that has a good history of promoting youngsters didn't have anything to do with turning that around is imo, disingenuous. I mean it was even announced in his move that his priority was to help bring the juniors through to reach first grade, because of your history with them.

They still won an SG ball comp the year before Bennett got there and the Harold Matt’s the year after (way too quick for Bennett to have had any impact) - and the successful U20s and SG ball sides the following years were the same kids... so they couldn’t have been going too badly or needed a great degree of fixing.

If anything Tinker was the one responsible for any junior investment/funding over that period. He was adamant about wanting more local juniors in FG. It was his idea for the centre of excellence too if I recall which was one of the selling points he used on Bennett to get him to the club. The fat f**k was generous with his money there at least.

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
Almost 10 years prior. And in that time since? I'm not arguing bennett was the first to help achieve these, I'm arguing he helped restructuring them after some lean years. If bennett destroyed the club as posited by so many, why are the same juniors he helped put through the system now the same juniors being heralded as a new dawn for Newcastle?

It can't be both.

It's incredibly shocking that an SG Ball team does well in 2014 after the Harold Matthews team was runner up in 2012.

Also incredibly shocking when an u20s team goes well after the SG Ball team was premiers in 2011.

It's a miracle really.

thailand

Juniors
Hasn't really been *too* much of a biffo between these two

That could be about to change. This quote from a Fox journo direct from Browny's presser tonight after Newcastle beat Brisbane:

I KNOW WHO I THINK IS THE BETTER COACHits great to be a queenslander.gif