What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

getsmarty

Immortal
James Graham says St George Illawarra Dragons not feeling the pressure ahead of derby clash with Cronulla Sharks
  • Local Sport
    r0_194_3972_2613_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Prepared: St George Illawarra forward James Graham says the Dragons will be wary of the wounded Sharks on Friday night. Picture: AAP

• James Graham believes St George Illawarra are well equipped to handle the pressure of putting their undefeated start to the season on the line against fierce local rivals Cronulla on Friday night.

The Dragons escaped Shark Park with a come from behind 20-16 victory in round two, with the bitter rivals to meet for a second derby in just 30 days at WIN Stadium in Wollongong.

Graham has made a strong start to his career in the red V since his off season arrival from Canterbury. The England international has added much to the Dragons’ middle in the opening five weeks of the season, helping them to an unblemished 5-0 win-loss record to sit top of the NRL table.

A number of players including Graham, new halves combination Gareth Widdop and Ben Hunt, centre Euan Aitken and back-rower Jack de Belin have all enjoyed impressive starts to the season. But Graham said while pressure would continue to grow with success, their focus on the team rather than individual accolades would keep St George Illawarra in a good position.

”The pleasing thing is we’re playing well as a team. You can see some individuals are playing really well too but we’re doing it for each other. The results are obviously great. This is how any team would want to start the season,” Graham said.

“We’ve got to continue with it now. Each week the pressure is going to build the more we win. But I’m confident in this group that we can handle that pressure.”

Graham has enjoyed his change of scenery, wanting to pay back the trust shown in him by Dragons coach Paul McGregor and those that brought him to the club, feeling the need to prove himself all over again.

Each week the pressure is going to build the more we win. But I’m confident in this group that we can handle that pressure.

Dragons prop James Graham
    Despite Cronulla’s indifferent start that has seen them lose three of their opening five matches to leave the 2016 premiers in 11th place, Graham is adamant the Dragons won’t be taking their nearest geographical rivals lightly.

“They came to play [in round two] and they always do. They’re a quality team,” he said.

“They might have had a bit of a reshuffle there but their forwards are always up for a big game and some outside backs that carry the ball with a lot of venom.

“So it’s going to be a tough one for us.”

Drag Queen

Bench
James Graham says St George Illawarra Dragons not feeling the pressure ahead of derby clash with Cronulla Sharks
  • Local Sport
    r0_194_3972_2613_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Prepared: St George Illawarra forward James Graham says the Dragons will be wary of the wounded Sharks on Friday night. Picture: AAP

• James Graham believes St George Illawarra are well equipped to handle the pressure of putting their undefeated start to the season on the line against fierce local rivals Cronulla on Friday night.

The Dragons escaped Shark Park with a come from behind 20-16 victory in round two, with the bitter rivals to meet for a second derby in just 30 days at WIN Stadium in Wollongong.

Graham has made a strong start to his career in the red V since his off season arrival from Canterbury. The England international has added much to the Dragons’ middle in the opening five weeks of the season, helping them to an unblemished 5-0 win-loss record to sit top of the NRL table.

A number of players including Graham, new halves combination Gareth Widdop and Ben Hunt, centre Euan Aitken and back-rower Jack de Belin have all enjoyed impressive starts to the season. But Graham said while pressure would continue to grow with success, their focus on the team rather than individual accolades would keep St George Illawarra in a good position.

”The pleasing thing is we’re playing well as a team. You can see some individuals are playing really well too but we’re doing it for each other. The results are obviously great. This is how any team would want to start the season,” Graham said.

“We’ve got to continue with it now. Each week the pressure is going to build the more we win. But I’m confident in this group that we can handle that pressure.”

Graham has enjoyed his change of scenery, wanting to pay back the trust shown in him by Dragons coach Paul McGregor and those that brought him to the club, feeling the need to prove himself all over again.

Each week the pressure is going to build the more we win. But I’m confident in this group that we can handle that pressure.

Dragons prop James Graham
    Despite Cronulla’s indifferent start that has seen them lose three of their opening five matches to leave the 2016 premiers in 11th place, Graham is adamant the Dragons won’t be taking their nearest geographical rivals lightly.

“They came to play [in round two] and they always do. They’re a quality team,” he said.

“They might have had a bit of a reshuffle there but their forwards are always up for a big game and some outside backs that carry the ball with a lot of venom.

“So it’s going to be a tough one for us.”

I used to hate this ranga until he came to us. Started his career at St Helens and is now wearing the same colours. Doggies were mad to let him go. PS I'm slightly pissed:D.

ouryears

Bench
I used to hate this ranga until he came to us. Started his career at St Helens and is now wearing the same colours. Doggies were mad to let him go. PS I'm slightly pissed:D.

Can anyone think of a player we used to hate as much as some of us hated Jimmy Graham but who we now love?

I mean I wanted to jump the fence in the elimination semi final in 2016 (or 2015?) vs Bulldogs when Kasiano and other grub players bashed Widdop when he dived on a ball they came along and bashed him while he was defenseless on the ground.

Widdop still got up to kick the goal to go to golden point.

It wasn't Graham who did it, but I still wanted to get him as well back then.

Now I would be happy if he married my sister!!

Any other players come to mind you once hated but now love?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Just had a quick peruse through The Kennel forum to see where the Dogs fans are at after 5 rounds (it's nice to humour myself with their misery sometimes). It's f**king spectacular seeing how filthy they are about losing Graham and replacing him with Woods. What an absolutely cracking decision by Dib to make that trade.

On the flip-side of the argument, some Dogs fans are saying that Graham just looks good in a good pack, when he's actually not doing anything special. That one was a side splitter. Great stuff.

I can't wait for big red to say hi to woods and the rest of the dogs.
It sould be fun

xofstgeorge

Juniors
Can anyone think of a player we used to hate as much as some of us hated Jimmy Graham but who we now love?

I mean I wanted to jump the fence in the elimination semi final in 2016 (or 2015?) vs Bulldogs when Kasiano and other grub players bashed Widdop when he dived on a ball they came along and bashed him while he was defenseless on the ground.

Wendell

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Oh yeah, of course.
Arch enemy...smug..then suddenly he was number 1 to a lot of us. He seems to like the Dragon's more than the Broncs when he talks about the game.

He is good on the radio, 104.9. He says good things about the dragon's whenever i listen to the radio.

And his boy is also playing for us.

Drag Queen

Bench

Exactly the same way I thought of him ouryears. How fickle are we? I'm now like the cat that got the cream!

ouryears

Bench
Exactly the same way I thought of him ouryears. How fickle are we? I'm now like the cat that got the cream!
Ha ha, amazing how we change.
I bet the cream tastes great now!

I listened to Cam McInnes talking to sky sports this morning about what Graham has brought to the team, Cam was saying how much Graham has excited and driven the pack of forwards in training and during the game, how much he talks on field and the confidence and mongrel he has created in them as well.

And how everyone loves the Pommie!

Suck eggs Bulldogs.

Just had a quick peruse through The Kennel forum to see where the Dogs fans are at after 5 rounds (it's nice to humour myself with their misery sometimes). It's f**king spectacular seeing how filthy they are about losing Graham and replacing him with Woods. What an absolutely cracking decision by Dib to make that trade.

On the flip-side of the argument, some Dogs fans are saying that Graham just looks good in a good pack, when he's actually not doing anything special. That one was a side splitter. Great stuff.

I'm not writing them off for the spoon. They really are rubbish, and the kind of rubbish that takes at least three seasons to turn round. A roster made up of players past their prime, players who hit ceilings below expectations and the kinds of reserve grade hacks we've been buying in discount bags since 2012. Plus, a coach who's a clubman through and through. And you know how well they always turn out.

Aaron Woods! What a great idea that was. They deserve him.

Gareth67

First Grade

ouryears , tell me about about it . I had my walking stick out and was raging like a stuffed pig and intended to give the pair a good old fashioned thrashing - that is until the bloody thing got caught in the wire screen door !

But yes I also disliked his style of biffing, he seemed to lose his cool all too easily.
But after the way he dismantled the Souths pack in the ' 14 G.F I realised that there was more to the him than I first thought . He is everything that I had hoped that he would be , he has truly inspired and regenerated the Dragon's engine room , so glad that we acquired the man's services.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
Back on Graham, it’s been great to hear the off field contribution he has made at the club. IMO I always expected that would be the minimum he offers given his standing in the game. What’s better is his value to us when we lose a few games. You just know he’ll go above & beyond to lift the boys. Sure, there will be those who question why he couldn’t do that at the Dogs but let’s not forget they were a mess with so many factions tearing them apart. That doesn’t happen at the Dragons(we do have a touch of North Korea about our regime though!).

ouryears

Bench
I can't wait for big red to say hi to woods and the rest of the dogs.
It sould be fun

See the Dogs have 12 players off contract but just $750,000 to spend in 2019.

50% of their team take 90% of the cap.

Both Morris bros have to go at end of year as contracts up and no money to keep them.

Dogs looking for kids to fill the 12 off contract players.

Hasler and his back ended contracts are a joke, did it at Manly too.

Hasler needs to do a maths course, in fact the whole club should.

Back end contracts should be banned.

Paper bags too.

Latest posts