What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Rothfield

phil-rothfield-alcoholic.jpg
CpEmGWoVIAEIiX2.jpg

1470732844553.jpg

El Diablo

Post Whore
Kent implying the only reason the game hasn’t folded is due to Journos keeping the NRL on its toes and holding them accountable. f**k up you incredible merkin. All you do is write unsubstantiated drivel and steal other people’s opinions.
http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...ague-nrl-2018-media/9ekf2ugy60lr1gv77m3vxdx4g

Paul Kent says rugby league will be 'bankrupt, busted and we won't have a game' if media don't hold NRL to account

April 16, 2018 6:09am EDT April 16, 2018 6:09am EDT

Daniel Ramus

Updated at 6:09 a.m. ET

NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent has launched an extraordinary attack on the NRL, claiming the game will go broke if its administrators aren’t held to account by the media.

Kent’s comments on Monday night come after NRL CEO Todd Greenberg called for fans to “ignore the crisis merchants” in a tweet posted on Sunday morning.

We will always be debating the performances of Clubs, players, administrators, referees, rules, etc but if you love Rugby League then talk it up & share your positivity. Ignore the crisis merchants & support your club & the game! #NRLtalkthegameup

— Todd Greenberg (@Todd_Greenberg) April 15, 2018

Greenberg was responding to a tweet from The Daily Telegraph sports-editor-at-large Phil Rothfield, who said on Saturday night that “rugby league is now a shit game".

Rugby league is now a shit game.

— BUZZ ROTHFIELD (@BuzzRothfield) April 14, 2018

Speaking on the Fox League programme on Monday night, Kent says the game faces a dire future if the NRL aren’t scrutinised by the media.

“I think it’s dangerous for the NRL to try and school its public that us media are crisis merchants and that our thoughts on the game should be ignored in preference to the spin that they continually pump out,” Kent said.

“Because if we don’t keep some of those people in there accountable to their jobs, then one day we will wake up and rugby league will be bankrupt, and busted, and we won’t have a game.

“We don’t have money in the game and we’ve got a lot of problems there and to try and sit there and put this shiny face on it all the time is insulting to us, but most particularly the fans.”

Kent’s co-host Ben Ikin agreed, accusing the NRL of being selective when it comes to defending itself from criticism.

“It also seems to me that Todd Greenberg only takes umbrage to criticism of those that work at the NRL and the job that they do,” Ikin added.

“Whenever it’s a player, or a club, that’s fallen or stumbled and done a poor job of what they’re supposed to be doing he doesn’t say the same thing.”

Rothfield toned down his original comment in another tweet on Sunday night, but reiterated his displeasure with the current state of the game on the same programme.

I’ve thought long and hard today about my ‘shit’ tweet last night and would like to say the following.

— BUZZ ROTHFIELD (@BuzzRothfield) April 15, 2018
“I’m sorry, I can’t lie, I haven’t enjoyed rugby league this year as much as I have in previous years,” Rothfield said.

“I go to one game and I watch the rest on TV, I’m not on the edge of my seat, there’s too many penalties… It’s the way I feel.”