What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Dragons

Iafeta

Referee
Kata's back, dafuq?

I don't mind seeing Vete back but Papalii > Gelling.

I don't have a problem with Gelling as such, but after that shocker he needs some proper game time with the reggies.

I suppose with Gelling they see value in his ability to play centre and back row, particularly with Katas lack of time off, there’s a real risk in game in the centres.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
But as someone said, Mannering can cover that hole. Gelling's not needed. If he was a decent NRL standard option, then OK - but I've not seen it. Much rather have Satae there, even if he did only provide 10 minutes of rip shit and bust.

SBD82

Coach
Very disappointed that the warriors went down to the donkeys. Would have loved for this to be two undefeated teams going at it for the April premiership.

I've always had a soft spot for the warriors. Great to see you guys going well this year. Hopefully this game lives up to expectations (and a dragons win).

Good luck Friday fellas.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Papali'i not named in ISP. Lock him in for a bench spot.

If Gelling is starting at centre Aitken will give him an absolute bath.

How sad is it that in a season where Mannering has been missing, Kata is the one we're going to miss most in defence.

Weird.

Big Marn

Juniors
yeh, looking at his play last year CNK probably struggles with post contact meters when doing the hitups. Main reason Ken is keeping his spot.

Meth

Staff member
I like CNK, but I seem to remember him bombing a few tries as well.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Like Bevan French (whos now dropped) - CNK hasnt got that size but has everything else.

Id like to see CNK in at centre but I fear he will be targeted by opposition big men because of his size.

Steve Matai wasnt very big but he could fold CREASE guys twice his size.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm not nearly as big a CNK fan as others on here. His defence, for a start, was terrible at NRL level. So I just can't see him as a centre option. Back-up wing if Fus pushed in, yeah absolutely. But nah I wouldn't want him marking up on Aitken. Yikes.

Ken's been great this year, I won't have anything against him. It's only fair when we pot blokes that we recognise when they're going well, as I've said about the coach.

JJ

Immortal
Like Bevan French (whos now dropped) - CNK hasnt got that size but has everything else.

Id like to see CNK in at centre but I fear he will be targeted by opposition big men because of his size.

Steve Matai wasnt very big but he could fold CREASE guys twice his size.

Matai was big enough

But yeah, the back five are important, not necessarily about size (although most are big) but physicality is important, early in sets - Holmes, Rapana, and others aren't huge, but they are aggressive

Blair

Coach
Matai was big enough

But yeah, the back five are important, not necessarily about size (although most are big) but physicality is important, early in sets - Holmes, Rapana, and others aren't huge, but they are aggressive

There was a league player in Hastings, circa 1987, who was the most feared man around. He was so staunch (and sure of himself) that he'd strut around the local nightclub eye-balling everyone whilst wearing a T-shirt that read, I'm The Boss Cause I Don't Take Shit From Nobody. There wasn't even an exclamation mark!

He was about 5ft.2 and eight stone, and wore thick glasses. I never made eye contact at night, by day he was OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Matai was big enough

Yeah I guess Matai did have some legs on him. Never seen him in person but they appear that way on TV.

These days they want more meters out of the red zone and a heavyweight where they don't need to worry about him getting manhandled back into their own en-goal etc etc...

Holmes defintely punches above his weight. Probably the smallest of the top wingers but regarded as one of the best (although Im not a fan at all). Like you said - most of them are big now. Heres my current top 10 league wingers ...

1. Semi Radradra
2. Lesley Vainikolo
3. Israel Folau
4. Jason Robinson
5. Jermaine McGilvary
6. Manu Vatuvei
7. Eric Growthe (snr)
8. Michael Hancock
9. Wendell Sailor
10. Josh Addo-Carr

Robinson, Hancock and obviously Addo-Carr aren't the biggest wingers around but I enjoy watching those guys play.