What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

really

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/12/arlc-constitutional-reform-on-hold-until-2019/

ARLC constitutional reform voted down

Dan Walsh
Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:29 PM

The ARLC will revisit plans for constitutional reform within the next 12 months after the motion was defeated at a meeting of NRL chiefs on Monday.

Chairman Peter Beattie stressed that progressive discussions were held with "a lot of good will in the room" despite a 15-3 vote failing to get the proposal – that would have seen the number of independent commissioners reduced from eight to six and four club and state representatives added – across the line.

As a result NSW Racing CEO Peter V'landys and ex Nine Network executive Amanda Laing have formally accepted positions as independent commissioners, while the NSWRL and QRL will now have representatives on the ARLC's financial audit committee.

Beattie vowed to "get on with the job" ahead in 2018.

"Obviously there were some disagreements about the advancement of constitutional reform. It was a 15-3 vote but the feeling in the room was a positive one," Beattie said.

"You can disagree without it being an ugly fight, and it wasn't. It was actually done with goodwill."

While the state bodies had pushed to each have a figure on a restructured commission, the failure to resolve the stand-off has seen QRL chairman Bruce Hatcher and NSWRL chief financial officer David Nissen instead added to the commission's finance committee as full members.

"The reason for that is simple, we want to work closely with NSWRL and QRL. We've got a transparency coming," Beattie said.

"As we've signalled to you before, (NRL CEO) Todd Greenberg and I will be releasing the quarterly statements, the financial statements, releasing decisions of the board.

"There is an openness and transparency coming... So everybody will know the true finances of the NRL."

Beattie welcomed the additions of V'landys and Laing to the commission, particularly the latter as a deliverance on his promise to add a female representative to the ARLC.

"Amanda's had a long experience in the corporate world, in media, that's the sort of experience we need," he said.

"… She brings incredible skills and would be there regardless of her gender but it's an asset to the game that she is a woman."
Change the name of the game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
"More power" on the board?:rolleyes: The Independent Directors would have been able to out vote the two club and two state reps by a 6-4 margin.

They cannot pass anything without the ICs, but their veto would prevent anything the ICs wanted to achieve.

The states and clubs want all the power for themselves, and grinding the ARLC to a halt would achieve exactly that. Its dead f*cking easy to just oppose things...

siv

First Grade
Politis playing more politics

Seems he is in control of all levels of the ARLC NRL and NSWRL

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ru...-parramatta-s-form-slump-20180407-p4z8cs.html

Is V’landys lining up to make a run at NRL’s top job?

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg was described as an “honest bastard” by Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter Beattie recently. But that may not be enough to save him from a run at the top job from newly appointed commissioner Peter V’landys.

Beattie recently said that the two new appointees to the ARLC, V’landys and Amanda Laing, could be his successors. But that doesn’t really make sense when it comes to V’landys. Why would anyone want to do Beattie’s job, which pays $180,000, when you could have a crack at Greenberg’s position, which is a $1 million-plus pay packet.

V’landys will most likely deny any interest in Greenberg’s job – it’s always the way – but Greenberg is well and truly aware of it.

V’Landys has a number of leading media figures on his speed dial and will be able to water down any real interest. However, prominent NRL figures say V’Landys is definitely interested.

The NRL is jumpy because there is talk V’landys has been meeting with Nick Politis – one of the biggest powerbrokers in the game and a man who is hardly a fan of the current administration.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/op...s/news-story/5e0d40e45a6b3548c249feb1cdeea6df

Just one of many Beattie apologies through the years

• The Australian
  • 12:00AM April 17, 2018

Australia’s Most Regretful Man tells everyone that he’s really sorry again. Commonwealth Games chairman Peter Beattie on Twitter, yesterday:

The speeches (at the Games closing ceremony) were too many and too long. I was part of that and I acknowledge it. Again, we got that wrong.

He’s so sorry, he apologised twice. Beattie on ABC News, yesterday:

The athletes would not have enjoyed last night. I understand that and frankly the buck stops with me …

Sorry, three times. Beattie on the Seven Network’s Sunrise, yesterday:

You can have a blame game from now until eternity but, the reality is, I’m chairman of the organising committee, the buck stops with us. I’m not interested in blaming anyone but us. That’s our fault … that’s my fault … I apologise to you and anyone else.

OMG, he apologised again. Beattie on the Nine Network’s Today, yesterday:

I’ll contact (Australian team flag-bearer) Kurt Fearnley, who I’m a big fan of, to apologise to him today … I’m chairman and the buck stops with me.

We expect more apologies in the coming days from the former Queensland premier. Madonna’s hit song Sorry, February 7, 2006:

I don’t want to hear, I don’t want to know / Please don’t say “forgive me” / I’ve seen it all before /And I can’t take it anymore

Beattie also apologised recently for forgetting who the Cronulla Sharks were. He’s ARL Commission chairman. The ex-premier on Twitter, March 12:

This was me Saturday night with the Sharks’ coach. Yes I stuffed up the answer; just nervous in front of the great Phil Gould. Yeah I’m human. I had a mental blank. The price of doing the NRL & the Commonwealth Games at the same time !!

Beattie spent most of his time as premier telling people he was so, so, so, so, so sorry. The then-premier in The Courier-Mail, January 5, 2004:

… if I have in some way offended the Bjelke-Petersen family, then I apologise.

Beattie said he was sorry a hell of a lot. A Courier-Mail timeline of his best apologies, January 10, 2004:

November 2003: Beattie apologises to independent MP Peter Wellington … July 2003: Beattie apologises after public outcry over elite Special Emergency Response Team officers using real-life images for target practice … July 2003: Beattie apologises after his government publicly named a foster family at the centre of abuse investigations … February 2003: Beattie apologises again to Queenslanders for going back on an election promise of no new taxes … March 2001: Beattie apologises … for the need for a fresh poll so soon after the state election.

And no doubt we can expect an apology for this Beattie balls-up soon. AAP, yesterday:

Peter Beattie has suffered another NRL-related gaffe, this time failing to differentiate between the Newcastle Knights jersey and the one worn by soccer giants Barcelona.

Beattie clearly believes in the power of confession. Justin Bieber, October 23, 2015:

Oh, is it too late now to say sorry? / Yeah, I know that I let you down / Is it too late to say I’m sorry now? / Ooh, ooh / I’m sorry, yeah / Ooh, ooh / Sorry, yeah / Ooh, ooh / Sorry / Yeah, I know that I let you down / Is it too late to say I’m sorry now? / Ooh, ooh

But as Cut & Paste’s mother said almost every day of our childhood:

Don’t keep telling me you’re sorry, just don’t do it again.

applesauce

Bench
I am not defending him (don't really have an opinion) but my god the media and the average punter are getting very good at simply taking the contrarian point of view.

He was apologising in each media channel that had him on. What is he meant to do, say sorry on Today viewers but ignore the Sunrise viewers. He is trying to reach out to as many people as possible...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So often we lambast people for not owning up or apologising... and now this guy is putting his hand up and doing just that we're after him for "apologising too much" :joy:

insert.pause

First Grade
So often we lambast people for not owning up or apologising... and now this guy is putting his hand up and doing just that we're after him for "apologising too much" :joy:
That's fair enough for most people perhaps, but ask a Qlder what value a Peter Beattie apology has and they'll tell you it's very little. It's a political strategy he has perfected over the years, the problem is when all the apologies have run out and you're just left with a shit tonne of mistakes and a person with questionable judgment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
His test, along with the commissions and ceo will be

1. Can they deliver on expansion
2. Can they sort out the finances of clubs and the nrlhq
3. Will the massive investment in digital show a reasonable return
4. Can they get more people watching the game
5. Can they get more people playing the game
6. Can they deliver the right tv deal next time

Deliver on that and they’ll have done very well and much better than the last 5 years of failures in these areas.

Timmah

Staff member
His test, along with the commissions and ceo will be

1. Can they deliver on expansion
2. Can they sort out the finances of clubs and the nrlhq
3. Will the massive investment in digital show a reasonable return
4. Can they get more people watching the game
5. Can they get more people playing the game
6. Can they deliver the right tv deal next time

Deliver on that and they’ll have done very well and much better than the last 5 years of failures in these areas.
This. Whether he gets the name of a team or a jersey wrong is not important or relevant to his position IMO. He needs to deliver big picture - the above is what he should be marked on

Timmah

Staff member
The truest and biggest test for the ARLC chairman and the CEO is the TV rights negotiations.

I'll wait until then.
Gut feel is that by the time we're at 2020-21 when these negotiations take place that TV rights etc landscape will be fairly different. Will be far more focussed on digital delivery over traditional FTA/pay TV means

Last Week

Bench
Gut feel is that by the time we're at 2020-21 when these negotiations take place that TV rights etc landscape will be fairly different. Will be far more focussed on digital delivery over traditional FTA/pay TV means

If only the commission had a plan to build and grow the digital arm of the NRL...

Latest posts