What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 Commentators (Poll included)

Who should lead Channel 7’s Cricket Coverage

• Michael Slater

• Mel McLaughlin

• Jim Wilson

• James Brayshaw

• Mark Taylor

• Bruce McAvaney

Results are only viewable after voting.
Who should be the Commentators for Seven’s cricket coverage.

I thinking Slater, Clarke and maybe Taylor should hop over from Nine to Seven. Gilchrist, Ponting and Waugh maybe join as well. I’d like to see Mel McLaughlin host the coverage.

Any thoughts guys ?

Timbo

Staff member
It just concerns me that they're apparently gunning so hard for Warne. With Brayshaw already being on their books for AFL it seems as though this is kind of an inevitable pairing.

Warne will get Clarke a gig, and apparently Smith is about to sign a 1 year deal for them as well.

So it'll be Warne, Clarke, Brayshaw, Smith, probably one or two more - one of whom will be a woman purely so they can say they're more diverse than Nine - and a guest Indian/Sri Lankan commentator.

Timbo

Staff member
The commentary could somehow end up almost as bad as nines.

Ugh, this is how Fox Sports will win in the long run.

When was the last time you walked into a pub on a Friday night or Sunday arvo and they had the 9 feed of the game playing? It's always the Fox feed because nobody wants to hear Ray Warren and Phil Gould arguing like fishwives or listen to a pissed Freddy singing on the hill.

They'll get a crew of experienced, level headed commentators and it'll be made abundantly clear to them by the production staff that any egos, agenda or general dickheaddedness will see their contract not renewed.

What are the odds the first test of the summer will see Seven having Warne, Clarke, Brayshaw, Fleming and Slater whilst Fox will have Julian as a studio host, and Border, Ponting, Gilchrist, Mark Waugh and co. calling the game? I'll bet Seven will do the token lone foreign commentator who does one shift a day when they aren't in with the visiting broadcaster, whilst Fox will contract one or two dedicated foreign experts.

JW

Coach
I reckon Brayshaw, Cometti and Warne are specials (decide for yourself if that's a double entendre or not).

Slats and one or both of Ten's Kentucky Fried Cricket anchors could also get a run.

Outside that, they'll probably reign in a token female and perhaps some recently retired player from left field that'll chip in with half a dozen words per shift.

Not sure if Fleming would get a run, but he'd suit Seven's cheese-filled sports coverage ridiculously well.

Das Gupta

Juniors
If ch7 are going to bring a fair chunk of ch 9's team over like Warne and his mates it will be disappointing.
The test commentary from ch9 needed a good clean out. Not a change of network jumpers

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I wonder about Cometti, I read that he'd retired.

Also slater - he's got his tongue so far up the bosses of channel nine arses he might be untouchable for seven hopefully.

Timbo

Staff member
I reckon Brayshaw, Cometti and Warne are specials (decide for yourself if that's a double entendre or not).

Slats and one or both of Ten's Kentucky Fried Cricket anchors could also get a run.

Outside that, they'll probably reign in a token female and perhaps some recently retired player from left field that'll chip in with half a dozen words per shift.

Not sure if Fleming would get a run, but he'd suit Seven's cheese-filled sports coverage ridiculously well.

Fleming will be the first one they sign - clearly always wanted to be an AFL player but got stuck playing cricket.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Ugh, this is how Fox Sports will win in the long run.

When was the last time you walked into a pub on a Friday night or Sunday arvo and they had the 9 feed of the game playing? It's always the Fox feed because nobody wants to hear Ray Warren and Phil Gould arguing like fishwives or listen to a pissed Freddy singing on the hill.

Don't most pubs have only visual (no audio) ?

Fact fox have limited commercials, televise ALL the games on any day, is more a marketing benefit for them than anything else. (plus other live sports 24/7)

Ch7 have Mel McLaughlin on their books? she would be great for cricket
Id be half ok if there is no Hi 5 cast (Warne, KP, Clarke, Slater and Brayshaw)

Love them to sign up Bumble, but don't think he would be wanting to spend every summer here.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Adam Gilchrist joins Fox Sports’ cricket coverage in major coup
CRICKET

• April 28, 2018 6:10am
  • by STAFF WRITERS
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
Mjc0MjAxODIxfGN4by5hfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxLzQ0M2VmMzNmNjc1NTVjMDg1MThjMGY0YjBhYmFkY2NkfDI3NDIwMTgyMQ==

Adam Gilchrist has joined Fox Sports’ cricket team.Source: News Corp Australia
AUSTRALIAN legend Adam Gilchrist has joined Fox Sports’ cricket revolution.

The former Australian wicketkeeper is the first major signing following the announcement this month that Fox Sports would become the home of cricket for at least the next six summers.

LIVE stream the 2018 Indian Premier League T20 Competition on FOX SPORTS. Get a free 2-week Foxtel Now trial & start watching in minutes. SIGN UP NOW >

Gilchrist spoke of his excitement about joining Fox Sports’ cricket team.

“Sport has been a major part of my life, as a player and now a commentator, so to join a network that is 100 per cent focused on sport is something I am extremely excited about,” Gilchrist said.

“Fox Sports’ new partnership with cricket has seen a big commitment to the game — a game that I clearly love — and I can’t wait to be a part of the family.

“It’s a changed landscape for cricket coverage in this country, where viewers have more choice and more variety than ever — and this will be great for the game.”

Foxtel and Fox Sports CEO Patrick Delany said Gilchrist will set new and elite standards.

“Gilly is one of the most loved cricketers of all time. He will lead the Fox Cricket coverage working across all three forms of the game,” Delany said.

Mjc0MjAxODIxfGN4by5hfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxLzAxYmY4M2RlZWM5MDkwMGM1OWM3OGNlNWI2YzJhYzhmfDI3NDIwMTgyMQ==

Adam Gilchrist is excited to be joining Fox Sports’ cricket team.Source: AAP
“Fans love his opinion and analysis, the way he combines pure class and humour.

“In the same way he set a new standard for what a wicket-keeper/batsmen did in today’s game, Gilly will be the perfect person to front the most innovative cricket coverage on TV.

“We are building a formidable team and the only place to watch is on Foxtel.”

Gilchrist joins current Fox Sports’ experts Allan Border and Brendon Julian, with more additions to the commentary team set to be announced in due course as part of the biggest shake-up in cricket broadcasting history.

In a historic first, Fox Sports will broadcast every home cricket match Australia plays from the start of October 2018, when the team takes on Pakistan in the UAE.

In a major coup for fans they will be able to watch matches uninterrupted and ad-free on the subscription television network.

Fox Sports Australia — in partnership with the Seven Network and Cricket Australia — announced the six-year deal worth $1.182 billion on April 13.

Every home Test and women’s international will be simulcast on Fox Sports and on free-to-air on the Seven Network.

Mjc0MjAxODIxfGN4by5hfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxL2E2NzYxMzZmOTIzZDRiMGJhNTdmNjMzNzExZjkwM2MwfDI3NDIwMTgyMQ==

Fox Sports CEO Patrick Delany is excited about securing Adam Gilchrist’s services.Source: News Corp Australia
Fox Sports will also broadcast every home one-day and Twenty20 international the men’s team plays. The network has provided Australian cricket fans with coverage of the men’s team in all overseas matches for the past 20 years.

Fox Sports will also be televising the entirety of the Big Bash League (16 matches exclusively) and simulcasting 23 Women’s Big Bash League matches with the Seven Network.

And in a boon for state cricket, domestic List A and first-class matches will return to television screens, with 13 JLT One-Day Cup matches and the Sheffield Shield Final to be broadcast on Fox Sports.

Fox Sports will also televise the annual Prime Minister’s XI and Governor-General’s XI matches.

This bumper offering of the country’s national sport will be celebrated on the network’s newest channel Fox Cricket, which continues in the footsteps of code-dedicated channels Fox League and Fox Footy.

Fox Sports has also secured the digital rights to all cricket in partnership with Cricket Australia’s digital arm, Cricket Network, giving fans the chance to stream live matches on any device.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...p/news-story/89f971b6c129f66c2047a82daada57f0

TheParraboy

Staff member
Great move by Fox, Gilly is brilliant, with Julian and AB already there
they are already in another hemisphere compared to the social prima donna trollops on 9

No doubt more announcements by Fox coming up

Latest posts