What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

The possibility of Sims targeting Hunt on the opposite side in the SOO is now very real and scarey. Not sure if anyone heard Fittler during the commentary yesterday when Ray warren said "we are now looking at the Qld SOO half in Ben Hunt - and FITTLER piped in to say - don't worry Sims will look after him" ! If that's not a pointer that Sims is being considered then I don't know what is .. We could have the terrible result of The Dragons being cannibalised during the SOO. I mean I can't remember an NRL team trotting out the same 17-18 players each week for 8 weeks straight without injury.. I mean it's amazing and I'm terrified of the potential repercussions of a very very physical SOO series for players like JDB, Sims, Vaughan, Mciness, Hunt, Frizell - these guys all look like they will be involved ...holding my breath and crossing my fingers for no injuries whatsoever!
It's a worry, but Simms is playing hard but fair, his hit on Cronk was tough, but Cronk got straight back up, keep it to those hits and he'll be fine.

Old Timer

Coach
I have to admit Sims has really delivered thus far this year
He has gone to a level I didn’t believe he could get to
I suspect some of this is the input of James Graham with his steely determination, huge work ethic and take no prisoners attitude
Funnily enough on pure form on the paddock Graham’s output is tame compared to others in the pack, so in respect of our team the value of good direction cannot be underestimated but in saying that I just hope JG doesn’t get too much ball in clutch plays.

Saintsified

Bench
People forget he was picked for Origin along with Tamou when at Cowboys, then he got injured just prior to the series. He was always a good player. Just took time to get back to his best it seems.

I have to admit Sims has really delivered thus far this year
He has gone to a level I didn’t believe he could get to
I suspect some of this is the input of James Graham with his steely determination, huge work ethic and take no prisoners attitude
Funnily enough on pure form on the paddock Graham’s output is tame compared to others in the pack, so in respect of our team the value of good direction cannot be underestimated but in saying that I just hope JG doesn’t get too much ball in clutch plays.
Graham for me has been disappointing for a coup,e of weeks now, just dosnt bend the line anymore, his leadership is invaluable, but he's just not doing any damage.

There was a play late in the game when the Dragons where throwing the ball around on the Roosters 20 and it got to Graham, he took two steps forward and was tackled on the 4th, he seems to like to die with the ball just to get a quick play the ball.

avocado

Juniors
Graham for me has been disappointing for a coup,e of weeks now, just dosnt bend the line anymore, his leadership is invaluable, but he's just not doing any damage.

There was a play late in the game when the Dragons where throwing the ball around on the Roosters 20 and it got to Graham, he took two steps forward and was tackled on the 4th, he seems to like to die with the ball just to get a quick play the ball.
Which isn't a bad thing. If it's a settler then a quick ptb can be crucial to the next play.
His leadership and enthusiasm are one of the reasons we're 7-1. One of our smartest signings for many years.

hazzbeen

Bench
Which isn't a bad thing. If it's a settler then a quick ptb can be crucial to the next play.
His leadership and enthusiasm are one of the reasons we're 7-1. One of our smartest signings for many years.
If there is nowhere to go and nothings on , you dont have to burn up energy to struggle to break a tackle , then a quick play the ball can be good .....

Slippery Morris

First Grade
People forget he was picked for Origin along with Tamou when at Cowboys, then he got injured just prior to the series. He was always a good player. Just took time to get back to his best it seems.

Exactly why I got excited when we signed him. At the Cowboys before his horrific injury he was on fire and one of the best backrowers in the comp. I was hoping he would come close to that sort of form at Saints but instead he looks better than what he was then. Top player.

What I love about the Saints backrow of Tariq, Frizzel and De Belin is that they really put in a 110% and play for the pride in the jersey. They have this never say die attitude and look like a tight knit group who really don't want to disappoint. Freddy would be dumb not to get these guys in the blues jersey. They are true Origin players not like the power walker Woods and Fatty Fafita. Those lazy slugs were the weakness hence why the QLD's could afford to play so badly and win. THey knew who the easy targets were when they needed a try.

Gareth67

First Grade
Last year when the rumours first began circulating about Graham being moved on I then suggested that the Dragons should make a play for the man . But a number of our comrades said that they would not like to see him in a Dragons Jersey , which of course was there right .

However the point being is I mentioned his value as a leader of the pack and also the mongrel that was missing from the team for many a year . Well he has certainly fulfilled the promise that I and others could see .

And Simms , well he has come along in leap and bounds to be the gun forward of the competition more then justifying his acquisition by the Joint Venture will only get better and would love him to also share Graham's role of showing the boys how it is done .

Oh yeah, not questioning that, but wonder if he's carrying some injury or such.

Just to put into perspective, Graham 11 runs for 95 metres, Ah Mau 13 for 137.
He's just not hitting the line like he was, hence the injury concern.

While I'm at it, Nightingale 20 runs for a game high 196.
So can we lay off Flo for a week.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Exactly why I got excited when we signed him. At the Cowboys before his horrific injury he was on fire and one of the best backrowers in the comp. I was hoping he would come close to that sort of form at Saints but instead he looks better than what he was then. Top player.

What I love about the Saints backrow of Tariq, Frizzel and De Belin is that they really put in a 110% and play for the pride in the jersey. They have this never say die attitude and look like a tight knit group who really don't want to disappoint. Freddy would be dumb not to get these guys in the blues jersey. They are true Origin players not like the power walker Woods and Fatty Fafita. Those lazy slugs were the weakness hence why the QLD's could afford to play so badly and win. THey knew who the easy targets were when they needed a try.
I wanted us to buy Simms early in his career, when he was at the Nth Qld too.

getsmarty

Immortal
Tariq Sims v Ben Hunt in Origin? ‘I have no problem laying out teammates’
Dragons
  • April 25, 2018 9:18pm
  • Source: AAP
MjY0MjAxODZ8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvN2IwMmRlZTcxMDk3Y2IxNGZjOTdmNTBkMDIzZTQ2NmF8MjY0MjAxODY=

Dragons hardman Tariq Sims.Source: News Corp Australia
TARIQ Sims says he would have no problem “laying out” Dragons teammate Ben Hunt if he’s given the job for NSW in State of Origin.

Sims makes no secret of the fact he’s ready to wear a NSW State of Origin jersey.

And now, while watching his brutal display in St George Illawarra’s hard-hitting 24-8 Anzac Day win over the Sydney Roosters, Blues coach Brad Fittler has let it slip that he will be.

The only question about Sims during the competition’s opening weeks was his lack of big-game experience.

But regular season occasions don’t get much bigger than a record Anzac Day crowd at Allianz Stadium.

And just as he did throughout the first seven rounds, Sims delivered.

He twice laid out Cooper Cronk in attack.

Both hits were legal but left the Roosters’ No.7 rattled after he pounced and crunched.

“It was a personal challenge for mine to limit his time with the ball,” Sims said.

MjY0MjAxODZ8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZm94c3BvcnRzLmNvbS5hdS9wbWQvaW1hZ2VzLzIwMTgvMDQvMjUvNjc2NjI0XzY0MHgzNjBfbGFyZ2VfMjAxODA0MjUxNzUyMjIuanBnfDI2NDIwMTg2

Sims dominates Cronk

“He’s a world-class player. He’s represented Queensland that many times, Australia more than I’ve had hot dinners.

“If he keeps getting off the ground and having a tough day it might cloud his judgment.”

That wasn’t enough for Sims though.

Moments after the second hit, he ran onto a Gareth Widdop short ball and straight past the former Queensland No.7 for the Dragons to go up 18-2.

While he was Saints’ most destructive, Sims wasn’t alone.

MjY0MjAxODZ8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvN2NjZDY3YzQyM2E5M2M4NDk2ZmNiYmE5ZjkxMGNjMGZ8MjY0MjAxODY=

Dragons enforcer Tariq Sims.Source: News Corp Australia
Ben Hunt must now be a near certainty to be picked as Queensland halfback.

He got the Dragons going when he ran it on the last in the opening minute before he and Cameron McInnes put a kicking Widdop away for winger Nene Macdonald to score.

But when it was put to Fittler in Channel Nine’s commentary how he’d find a way to stop Hunt’s running game come June, the mentor had one answer.

“We’ll sick Tariq onto him,” he said.

Not that Sims will have any issue with that.

“I’ve got no problem laying out my teammates,” he said.

“Once we get across those white lines, it’s footy. It’s a game, we play it to the best of our ability.

“It’s a tough game, not a soft game. And if you take the line on expect to get hit because that’s what happens.”

Sims is unlikely to be the only Dragons’ back-rower selected for the series- opener in Melbourne.

In fact, there’s every chance they could all be there.

Tyson Frizell is a Blues incumbent and was awarded man of the match on Wednesday.

Jack de Belin is also about the only other player in the competition hitting opponents as hard as Sims.

“They’re at the stage now we’re they’re sick of losing and want to win every week,” Dragons coach Paul McGregor said.

“They are good experienced players and are seasoned. Most of them were here in 2015 when we led the competition and last year as well.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/e4aa1c7dcbd2f2d9f4f773e286d6480a

getsmarty

Immortal
Watch: Tariq Sims manhandles Cooper Cronk in NSW Blues audition
League
nathan_ryan.jpg

MjY0MjAxODZ8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvZWFkNTIzMDhkNDhiNDIxNDY2MmRkNTYwZTI1Y2M5NDN8MjY0MjAxODY=

Cooper Cronk of the Roosters is tackled by Tariq Sims.Source: Getty Images
BRAD Fittler, take note.

It’s spelt ‘Tariq’ … with a ‘Q’. Jot his name down on the whiteboard at NSW Blues headquarters and don’t forget it.

For years Tariq Sims’ name has been thrown up as a Blues bolter.

But when you consider his form to start the season, you must ask the question.

If not now, when?

MjY0MjAxODZ8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZm94c3BvcnRzLmNvbS5hdS9wbWQvaW1hZ2VzLzIwMTgvMDQvMjUvNjc2NjI0XzY0MHgzNjBfbGFyZ2VfMjAxODA0MjUxNzUyMjIuanBnfDI2NDIwMTg2

Sims dominates Cronk

The St George Illawarra enforcer has been brilliant.

How good?

Ask Cooper Cronk.

He won’t be forgetting Sims anytime soon.

It’s safe to say he’ll be having nightmares of the backrower for the rest of the week.

MjY0MjAxODZ8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvZWQ4MWNjZTkxNTcwM2RmNDZiMmZlZGQ3MzFjZjFiNmV8MjY0MjAxODY=

Cooper Cronk of the Roosters is tackled by Tariq Sims of the Dragons.Source: Getty Images
The 28-year-old terrorised the Roosters’ halfback in Wednesday’s Anzac Day clash.

Given the role of heaping pressure on the No.7, Sims delivered on his mission.

Sims was breathing down Cronk’s neck on almost every touch.

“He’s had a radar on him,” Mick Ennis said in the Fox League commentary.

“He’s been under enormous pressure this evening.”

A bone rattling tackle early in the second half will keep Cronk awake at night.

Moments later he picked Cronk out close to the line and ran over the top of him to score a try.

He can’t do much more to push his case for an Origin call-up.

While he’s made six appearances for Country, the sky blues has eluded him.

It could be a different story in just a few weeks.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/wa...n/news-story/535264a980fe0e05bfcc9b2cb32707cb

Dragonscales

Juniors
Joel Thompson is a reserve grader compared to Sims.

Thompson was a passenger, and he's still a passenger at Manly. Barely made tackles, barely took hit ups, ran good line, that's about it.

Thompson off our books was music to my ears. What were Manly doing?

Sims is clearly the inform backrower in the competition. I'd have him come off the bench and play in the middle for Origin.

Latest posts