What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury

Gareth67

First Grade
Back in the 80's and earlier, most forwards played 80 minutes every week.

Frank Facer as you said they did just that - week in week out and were only replaced when injured . I am quite sure that many of today's forwards would find the going a bit harder if they also were to play the entire game , more so under the same conditions and with a he same limitations as far as replacements were concerned.

However I also fear that the Dragons tremendous run to this point may very well suffer due to the forwards being worn out . Quite simply Mary must change the bench rotation to ensure that this does not occur - again . Use those players and get them onto the field so as to allow our attack to continue without any abate and at the same time ensuring that the big men get a rest .

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Why generate a thread about this.

Odds on we’ll be a casualty ward next round.
I was just thinking today... yes, I do that once month whether I'm awake or asleep.. and I thought, "Not too many injuries, and McGregor is still coach!" Then I thought... yes, twice in one month... "I better keep this to myself."

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Back in the 80's and earlier, most forwards played 80 minutes every week.
Thats true....and the some of the players were just as tough if not tougher and had day jobs like Labourers, garbos etc but ask most of them now and they will admit that they would struggle with the pace of the game today....its been a little slower this season because of the enforcement of the rules by the refs, but some games are almost at origin pace these days

getsmarty

Immortal
De Belin masks pain for Origin injection
2:06 PM AEST
  • Matt Encarnacion

Jack de Belin's received painkilling injections for the past two weeks, but it might not be enough to numb the pain of another State of Origin snub.

The NSW hopeful has revealed he's been a week-to-week proposition for St George Illawarra as he battles through a hip injury in the hope of securing a maiden Blues jumper.

De Belin initially suffered a hip flexor issue in a whack from Melbourne hooker Brandon Smith a fortnight ago, but hoped to play through the pain with the aid of painkillers.

The Dragons lock lasted less than 30 minutes in last week's NRL loss to South Sydney before succumbing to injury, but bounced back with another strong performance in Sunday's win over Canberra.

"I knew I'd be much better this week and a lot more confident playing on it," de Belin said.

"It's a week-to-week thing and it's just going to get better with time. It was much better (on Sunday), which was good.

"Looking back on it I probably shouldn't have played last week. I didn't train all week and then got it needled hoping it would come good but I was in a lot of pain.

"I should be better than that and be able to play injured but it just wasn't very good."

De Belin finished the game against the Raiders with 139 metres gained, five busted tackles, two line breaks and a try, but wasn't completely satisfied with his effort.

"It was a bit of a mixed-bag game, to be honest. I had a couple of errors that I wouldn't normally have. It just felt like it was coming a bit too easy there and probably forced a few little things," he said.

The 27-year-old is widely considered in strong contention to be selected on Sunday in Brad Fittler's game-one team, one year after almost getting a crack in the Origin decider.

The previous year he was in an emerging Blues camp.

"Then last year I was in the squad the whole time, was 18th man a couple of times, and was obviously pretty close playing in the final game when Boyd Cordner was right up until game time," he said.

"So I've been on the cusp for a while now.

"I'd love to be playing Origin. I'd be doing everything to put my hand up but at the moment, all I've got to do is worry about club footy and put my best performance for the Red V."

http://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/23558702/de-belin-masks-pain-origin-injection

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Hey talking of injuries, see that Joshua Dugan is out again for another month due to foot injury !?
750K a season yet he only plays half a season. #dodgedabullet

I remember seeing the uproar from a great number of Dragons supporters for not retaining Dugan. It was such a brilliant decision from Millward not to retain him.

- We didn't get caught in a bidding war, thus throwing our cap into disarray.
- Didn't get sucked into this "world class player" bullshit.
- We're not suffering as a result of his chronic injuries.
- We have a better right centre in a Euan Aitken for about (literally) a quarter or the price.

blacksafake

First Grade
I remember seeing the uproar from a great number of Dragons supporters for not retaining Dugan. It was such a brilliant decision from Millward not to retain him.

- We have a better right centre in a Euan Aitken for about (literally) a quarter or the price.
All good points & I concur TRVR, however not so sure on your last sentence at this stage. Dugan is the current test centre whilst Aitken is still finding his feet & until this season he was having his own injury concerns.

Crush

Coach
All good points & I concur TRVR, however not so sure on your last sentence at this stage. Dugan is the current test centre whilst Aitken is still finding his feet & until this season he was having his own injury concerns.
Mate I may be wrong but I reckon Duges best days might just be behind him. He is sooo injury prone he never makes much of an impact anymore.
I doubt he will regain that test centre position.

Gareth67

First Grade
Hey talking of injuries, see that Joshua Dugan is out again for another month due to foot injury !?
750K a season yet he only plays half a season. #dodgedabullet

As a fella who occasssionly attends to the medical well being of hogs , whom always have infections in their trotters , I can only prescribe a fortnights rest on top of the choicest rooftops in the Cronulla area , perhaps with a bottle of the good stuff - purely for medicinal purposes of course .

blacksafake

First Grade
Mate I may be wrong but I reckon Duges best days might just be behind him. He is sooo injury prone he never makes much of an impact anymore.
I doubt he will regain that test centre position.
I’d say he’s definitely lost his test spot & most likely his best days are behind him. It will be interesting to see if he can take his game to a different level by playing smarter because he’s definitely lost that explosiveness which went south after signing with us & having his body shape changed by L plate.

ozbuck

Juniors

Shhhh!!! Millward and Mary have to be sacked. Don't go speaking truth that, it'll stuff if all up ;)

Latest posts