What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Coach

TheParraboy

Staff member
I don't understand the push for Ponting as 20/20 coach. If anything Langer is better credentialed as a 20/20 coach through his time at the scorchers.

If you were going to split the two it would make more sense having Gillespie take on the longer format and the Josef Goebbels lookalike Langer take the shorter game.

Ponting can wait a while and win something before getting a gig

Does an IPL title count?

Ponting has coached in the IPL and won a title with Mumbai in 2015

He is now coaching the daredevils over there

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/ric...-league-cricket-australia-t20-role/2018-01-05

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Justin Langer confirmed as new Bupa Support Team Head Coach
May 03, 2018

Cricket Australia (CA) has today announced Justin Langer as the new Bupa Support Team Head Coach of the Australian Men’s Cricket Team.

Langer will coach Australia in all three formats of the game and will commence in the role on 22 May, for a four-year term taking in two Ashes Series, a World Cup and World T20 tournament.

The 47-year-old enjoyed a decorated playing career, representing Australia in 105 Test matches and eight ODI matches.

In Test cricket, he scored more than 7,500 runs – including 23 centuries – and was an integral member of the Australian men’s team during one of the most successful eras of all time.

His playing career spanned almost 20 years, in which he played 360 first-class matches and scored more than 28,000 first class runs.

As a coach, Langer has been Head Coach of Western Australia and the Perth Scorchers since November 2012. He has led the Scorchers to KFC Big Bash League championships on three occasions, the most of any coach, in 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2016-17, and the Warriors to JLT One-Day Cup titles twice, in 2014-15 and 2017-18.

Langer has also been involved in the Australian men’s team set-up on multiple occasions.

He was an assistant coach for three years from November 2009, before taking up head coaching roles with Western Australia and Perth Scorchers.

He has also twice been Australia’s head coach on an interim basis, in an ODI Tri-Series in the Caribbean in 2016, and in a T20 International Series on home soil against Sri Lanka in 2017.

Cricket Australia CEO, James Sutherland, said:

“We are thrilled to appoint Justin as Bupa Support Team Head Coach of the Australian Men’s Cricket Team,” Mr Sutherland said.

“Whilst Darren Lehmann was not due to complete his term until next year, we have had a succession plan in place for this role for some time.

“In addition to professional development opportunities, this plan has included several coaches stepping into the head role to relieve Darren at times, and to also provide support roles, including Justin, and forms part of our long running succession planning process.

“The plan has allowed us to consider several worthy candidates, but Justin was the clear standout, particularly based on his recent coaching and player development achievements.

“We firmly believe Justin is the right person to lead this team and have huge confidence in what he will bring to the role.

“As an international cricketer, Justin was a proud and courageous competitor who gave his all for his country. As a coach he has enjoyed success – not only in overseeing strong teams, but also in developing cricketers who are ready to play international cricket for Australia.

“To illustrate this, I note that Western Australia has more nationally-contracted male players than any other state for 2018-19.

“Justin’s work ethic, leadership and values are among his strongest attributes – and he is widely respected across the global cricket community," concluded Mr Sutherland.

Langer will also play a role on the Rick McCosker player review panel, as announced earlier in the week.

Speaking on his appointment, new Bupa Support Australian Men’s Head Coach, Justin Langer, said:

“It is humbling to be appointed as coach of the Australian Men’s Cricket Team.

“I would like to thank the Western Australian Cricket Association and the Perth Scorchers for their support over the past six seasons, and for giving me the opportunity to lead and work with two great teams and many exceptional people.

“I’d like to especially thank my family for being with me on this journey and for supporting me in accepting this position.

“I am very excited about the scope I now have to coach the country that supported me so much in my cricketing career.

“There will be some significant challenges ahead for our group, but there is a wealth of talent in Australian cricket that I know will do us all proud.

“I’m thoroughly looking forward to working with all players, as we strive for a successful men’s team across all formats, with the support and respect of the Australian public,” concluded Langer.

Justin Langer – background

• Played 105 Tests and eight ODIs for Australia
  • Scored 7,696 Test runs, at an average of 45.27 – including 23 centuries
  • Made Test debut in 1993, and played final Test in 2007
  • Scored more than 28,000 first-class runs including 86 centuries, at an average of 50.23
  • Appointed as Australian assistant coach in November 2009
  • Joined Western Australia and Perth Scorchers as head coach in November 2012
  • Coached Australia to an ODI Tri-Series victory in the Caribbean in 2016, against South Africa and the Windies
  • Coached Australia in a T20 International Series against Sri Lanka in 2017
  • Coached the Perth Scorchers to three KFC Big Bash League titles - 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2016-17
  • Coached Western Australia to two JLT One-Day Cup titles - 2014-15 and 2017-18

https://www.cricketaustralia.com.au...r-appointed-as-new-australia-coach/2018-05-03

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so I guess now the players will have to engage their own coaches much the same as Phillip Hughes did when the garden gnome was Australia's batting coach

Timbo

Staff member
tenor.gif

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Lets face it, this is just all about discipline based on what has just happened, much the same as the over reaction in banning our players for 12 months by CA.

The space cadet has a good record in coaching WA but the players also had a lot to do with that.

Dizzy at least had some experience in coaching national teams.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I don’t mind JL being head coach, he was groomed for the gig well before anyone else. And been around a while he would have learnt a lot along the way.

I think he will bring a steely resolve to the side, particularly the test side. Am expecting the likes of Renshaw form to go through the roof at test level.

Would have liked him to have two formats of the game and the t20 gig to go to Punter or Dizzy.

I’m prepared to see how he goes next 18 months before bagging him out. He is different to boof, I think for the better.

Mitch Marsh the next superstar of our game , put that in your diaries.

TheParraboy

Staff member
The space cadet has a good record in coaching WA but the players also had a lot to do with that.

Yeah sure, but when WA players get selected for Australia , they get bagged, JL gets bagged. Now the players are good?

May end up in tears but let’s get behind the bloke for now. I think he will go alright . He will get the best out of the players

Timbo

Staff member
I don’t mind JL being head coach, he was groomed for the gig well before anyone else. And been around a while he would have learnt a lot along the way.

I think he will bring a steely resolve to the side, particularly the test side. Am expecting the likes of Renshaw form to go through the roof at test level.

Would have liked him to have two formats of the game and the t20 gig to go to Punter or Dizzy.

I’m prepared to see how he goes next 18 months before bagging him out. He is different to boof, I think for the better.

Mitch Marsh the next superstar of our game , put that in your diaries.

I'm expecting Renshaw to be punted to the curb for Bancroft as soon as the ban is over.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah sure, but when WA players get selected for Australia

you dont think the likes of Tye and MMarsh deserve their spots ?

I dont rate Darsh or Agar

JL was picked for discipline I have no doubt about that but Bancroft is a Sandgroper and look what happened to him.

Ads speaking of Bancroft, there is another player with serious technique issues and what has the space cadet done for his technique ? much teh same as he did for Hughe's technique

TheParraboy

Staff member
I wonder if JL was head coach in South Africa, then Bancroft doesn’t do what he does?. Boof was a very lax coach.

Technique isn’t everything, Bancroft did ok in SA Compared to the rest of our ‘technique correct ‘ batsman. But I’m hoping Renshaw kills it under JL

Point being regarding players, seems like many of you JL is on a hiding to nothing, if we lose it’s his fault, if were winning then it’s the players.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
So I just flicked on Foxtel and Langer is doing a live press conference.

He’s talking about he’s a “bit of a hippy” and once a month likes to wear no shoes and grow a beard because he works “bloody hard” and deserves it.

God help us.

Iafeta

Referee
Good lord. He seems from his comments to be a headless chicken, doesn’t seem to think that sledging needs to be reigned in. I thought CA was trying to initiate change but they’ve just appointed another parasite.