What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Todd Carney be allowed back in the NRL?

T-Boon

Coach
He should sign up for one of the NRL Touch teams. Get the comp some exposure, get him into shape. West Tigers maybe.

supercharger

Juniors
Carney's an idiot but I find it more egregious that a piece of shit as big as lodge is registered to play in our league.

BUMP...

Todd Carney is currently 32, in Byron Bay with a local side (although not playing this year due to Covid..)

In my opinion we are at the lowest point of quality halves seen in the NRL era (wrote about this in the rating thread). All the greats have retired, there’s good ones, some promising coming through.. but aside from perhaps Benji Marshall (who I consider a “great” - but who’s great years are behind him), there are no great halves. Even on the MJ podcast this week, they genuinely struggled to name the best half in comparison to years gone by.

So - Todd Carney..

Carney is 32. His issues off the field are a long time ago (although many people will choose to use that against him still, fans included) - and anyone who has had anything to do with him is very complimentary of who he is these days.

I don’t consider him a true “great” but the bloke was a top quality half, a Dally-M winner..and the overall quality of halves in the current NRL crop is the lowest in its history. Surely there’s a club, or a number of clubs, who could use Todd Carney for the rest of this year, and maybe next season too. Dogs, Warriors, Titans, Broncos, Cowboys.... just throwing names out there.

The objections I see from others..

- His Age. Yep he’s 32 but while he mightn’t be as quick, he’s not been bashed up in his time away and would have at least 2 good years in him.

- His past. I don’t see this should be a worry. Packer, Lodge have come back in and proven themselves to take their chance without falling back into issues. Geez, Haraweira-Naera and Okunbor are now allowed back in. I don’t see Carney as a live hand-grenade he has been years ago. Which may be seen as issues such as..

- Sponsor concerns. Well a club should ask their sponsors of having carney is a concern to them. If Carney can help lift a low side to improve performance.. I can’t see why a sponsor would say no...

- Salary Cap. I don’t think he’d demand too much money. Just an opportunity to play NRL again. Even at $100k or less, the experience and value you’d get with Carney would be absolute money well spent.

- Does he want to return? Well he may well say no if asked in passing, but if a club knocked on his door, I think he’d bite their hand off for a shot.

So I really think this guy is genuinely worth getting to a club that has huge gaps in their halves, struggling - which there are many. His experience, value, and will to succeed back in the NRL - if given the chance - would be gold dust for a club out there.

Bring back Carney..

Perth Red

Post Whore
BUMP...

Todd Carney is currently 32, in Byron Bay with a local side (although not playing this year due to Covid..)

In my opinion we are at the lowest point of quality halves seen in the NRL era (wrote about this in the rating thread). All the greats have retired, there’s good ones, some promising coming through.. but aside from perhaps Benji Marshall (who I consider a “great” - but who’s great years are behind him), there are no great halves. Even on the MJ podcast this week, they genuinely struggled to name the best half in comparison to years gone by.

So - Todd Carney..

Carney is 32. His issues off the field are a long time ago (although many people will choose to use that against him still, fans included) - and anyone who has had anything to do with him is very complimentary of who he is these days.

I don’t consider him a true “great” but the bloke was a top quality half, a Dally-M winner..and the overall quality of halves in the current NRL crop is the lowest in its history. Surely there’s a club, or a number of clubs, who could use Todd Carney for the rest of this year, and maybe next season too. Dogs, Warriors, Titans, Broncos, Cowboys.... just throwing names out there.

- His Age. Yep he’s 32 but while he mightn’t be as quick, he’s not been bashed up in his time away and would have at least 2 good years in him.

- His past. I don’t see this should be a worry. Packer, Lodge have come back in and proven themselves to take their chance without falling back into issues. Geez, Haraweira-Naera and Okunbor are now allowed back in. I don’t see Carney as a live hand-grenade he has been years ago. Which may be seen as issues such as..

- Sponsor concerns. Well a club should ask their sponsors of having carney is a concern to them. If Carney can help lift a low side to improve performance.. I can’t see why a sponsor would say no...

- Salary Cap. I don’t think he’d demand too much money. Just an opportunity to play NRL again. Even at $100k or less, the experience and value you’d get with Carney would be absolute money well spent.

- Does he want to return? Well he may well say no if asked in passing, but if a club knocked on his door, I think he’d bite their hand off for a shot.

So I really think this guy is genuinely worth getting to a club that has huge gaps in their halves, struggling - which there are many. His experience, value, and will to succeed back in the NRL - if given the chance - would be gold dust for a club out there.

Bring back Carney..

Is player development really that bad that a retired Todd Carney is seen as raising the quality of the comp? ?

and it showed when he ran out for the wolfpack lol

yep.

I think Carney would be good to play at a club with young halves coming through who can learn off him, or plug a whole of someone is out injured. Or both. A team like the Titans or Dogs could get value out of him. Possibly the broncos but he couldn’t play behind a pack like that at the moment.

Danish

Referee
Since the NRL has just overturned the dogs firing 2 blokes for f**king school kids if I were Carney I'd probably be more interested in suing the NRL for lost earnings than playing again.

Given the stupid money being given to absolutely woeful halves Carney has probably been robbed of about $8 million over the last 6 seasons. They'd settle the suit for $1 million in a heartbeat

Since the NRL has just overturned the dogs firing 2 blokes for f**king school kids if I were Carney I'd probably be more interested in suing the NRL for lost earnings than playing again.

Given the stupid money being given to absolutely woeful halves Carney has probably been robbed of about $8 million over the last 6 seasons. They'd settle the suit for $1 million in a heartbeat

Nah, NRL have been consistent here. f**king is fine, pretending to, isn’t. Just ask Pearce. Just like pretending to piss in one’s mouth isn’t either. It’s about authenticity

Nqcowboy

Juniors
BUMP...

So - Todd Carney..

Bring back Carney..
Not at Byron moved to somewhere in Queensland with that married at first sight chick

Not at Byron moved to somewhere in Queensland with that married at first sight chick

listening to RLD podcast yesterday - interview with Tony Adams - they said he was playing at Byron Bay. Possibly captain - coach (can’t remember). They were also suggesting he’s still got something to offer in the NRL. Prompted me to bump the thread.