What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ladder thread

ouryears

Bench
I can't handle another heart attack like game!

When it was 20-14 and the Rorters looked like scoring again with that chip kick over the top that was nearly too much for me to take as well as when we went down 8-2 after not being able to convert those breaks!!!!

The Dogs game nearly gave me a heart attack too!!!

Then there was the agony of the losses at the death to Penrith and the fact we lost it to St Merge too right near the end when Cody dropped it!
Well you didn't lose it right at the end vs us Rabbits 20, we were already ahead, you make it sound like we scored with 10 seconds to go.

Anyway you will beat Stickys team!

Travitoh

First Grade
So my quick assessment of the table...

St George/Illawarra - they're not 6-0 by accident. Very good, well rounded side who should be in the mix at the pointy end of the season.

Penrith - my preseason pick and I'm still on board. Weakened by injuries to some key players but others have stood up in their place. Better defensively than what we saw last season and if they can stay fit in August/September then i believe the comp is theirs.

New Zealand - despite the talent on offer, they've surprised everyone. Good enough to hold a top 4 spot, but the question is will they? Traditionally a disappointing side but good enough to change that in 2018. Tomorrow night'sgame against StGI will tell us a lot about NZ this year.

Wests - the big surprise of the season so far and i see no reason why it can't continue. Without a genuine star, they're a well set up, hard working side who are unfortunate not to be 6-0.
I believe Cleary is capable of keeping the group humble, the only question is can they go to that next level that the others will later in the season?

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
Melbourne - have recently found some form after what was a poor start by their standards. Despite being at the beginning of a changing of the guard, the quality is still there and one of the few clubs that are a capable of cracking the 4.

Easts - not where we expected them to be but if you watch them play, it's easy to see how. A first grade packed with talent but lacking cohesion that will improve as the season goes on, but should they lose a few to injury they'll be in trouble. Good enough on paper to crack the 4 but i have my doubts if I'm honest, thinking they'll just miss.

Souths - well on their way to sitting 5-3 at the change of the month, the start of Seibold's coaching career has reaped not only improved performances but much better efforts so far. Still a long way to go yet but should continue to challenge for a spot in the 8 come season's end.

Brisbane - remove the aura of Bennett and Brisbane and you have a side sitting about where they should be. The big issue is the lack of a genuine half - which i feel could be fixed by moving Boyd to 7 - and lacking depth outside of the top 15 like Easts. Will win enough games in Queensland to play finals but i doubt they'll be of any impact.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Melbourne - have recently found some form after what was a slow start by their standards. Despite being at the beginning of a changing of the guard, the quality is still there and one of the few clubs that are a capable of cracking the 4.

Easts - not where we expected them to be but if you watch them play, it's easy to see how. A first grade packed with talent but lacking cohesion that will improve as the season goes on, but should they lose a few to injury they'll be in trouble. Good enough on paper to crack the 4 but i have my doubts if I'm honest, thinking they'll just miss.

Souths - well on their way to sitting 5-3 at the change of the month, the start of Seibold's coaching career has reaped not only improved performances but much better efforts so far. Still a long way to go yet but should continue to challenge for a spot in the 8 come season's end.

Brisbane - remove the aura that Bennett and Brisbane have and you have a side sitting about where they should be. The big issue is the lack of a genuine half - which i feel could be fixed by moving Boyd to 7 - and lacking depth outside of the top 15 like Easts. Will win enough games in Queensland to play finals but i doubt they'll be of any impact.
You mean top 17;)

It's not Rugby lol:)

ouryears

Bench
You know what I mean lol....

I'm concerned about this game v Canberra!

Don't be, Sammy will be out to repay for his 2 weeks off.

GI is getting fitter by the week after missing last year.

Raiders won't do enough tackling, they don't enjoy it.

Too many slackos play for them.

You guys 34 - 14

Travitoh

First Grade
Gold Coast - a bit of a surprise to see them in the finals mix after last seasons efforts but then again, they played finals footy in 2016 with a very similar side. Is Jarryd Hayne really a cancer? The win over Brisbane is definitely the highlight so far but looking at their 3 losses, they all have been by double figure margins. Will grab more wins as the season goes on but won't play finals.

Newcastle - have we ever seen a side with the wooden spoon enter a new season with such expectation?
Definite improvement in results and deservedly so but like the GC, their losses tell more of a story than their wins. That said, they are a side still gelling and will give the 8 a good shake. Happy times are coming for the Novacastrians!

Canberra - recently got their season underway with wins against 2 of the bottom 3 teams. Otherwise, they look a shadow of the side that were a win away from a grand final. The loss of a Josh Hodgson would hurt any side but fitness has been more of the problem with them. They'll win a couple more but not too many.

Manly - flat track bullies. They're good when they get things their own way but once a side stands up to them, they go to water. Will terribly lose as many games as they impressively win and miss finals.

Cronulla - from premiers 2 seasons ago to a losing side despite still possessing a number of their premiership stars (sadly a familiar story) It's amazing how big an influence James Maloney can have on a side! Personally, i feel a lot of their problem is Moylan playing in the halves, i believe his best is at FB and with Hodkinson at the club, there's no reason why they can't line up like that except for maybe an individual's ego.
Good enough to win games and make the eight but i don't think they will.

Canterbury - improved performances on last year but not by heaps. Irrelevant again in 2018.

Nth Qld - a top 4 and potential premier tip from many (myself included) but have looked old and slow this year. The quality is there and they've all played a fair bit together bit could it be that time has caught up.
I expect them to improve eventually but are currently behind the pack and i don't know that they have enough improvement in them to get into the eight.

Parramatta - the return of Jarryd Hayne and last seasons efforts had Parra as one of the buzz teams for the top 4 and even the premiership and in the opening 30 minutes of the season against Penrith, they showed us why as they raced out to a 14-0 lead. I can only assume that they were awarded the premiership at that point and told to go home because what they have served up in the 5 and a half games after that has been nothing short of abysmal.
Good enough to improve from horror 6 rounds but will be closer to another wooden spoon than a drought breaking premiership by September.

ouryears

Bench
You know what I mean lol....

I'm concerned about this game v Canberra!

You guys 34 - 14

-------------------------------------------------

See now you can relax.
I said 34-14 rabbits way!

Sorry for underestimating your attack!

But I nearly got the points differential spot on, or maybe I did, LOL.

Owe me a beer!

Rabbits20

Immortal

You guys 34 - 14

-------------------------------------------------

See now you can relax.
I said 34-14 rabbits way!

Sorry for underestimating your attack!

But I nearly got the points differential spot on, or maybe I did, LOL.

Owe me a beer!
Sam will be back breathing fire against your mob come round 10

ouryears

Bench
Lol he will take the guilty plea.

Don't you go for the Dragons mate??

Rabbits 20 yes I go for the red v.
He might not take the guilty plea poor old Sammy.

Geeze if both teams keep winning.. that will be a great match Rabbits 20.

The reason I have a big soft spot for the rabbits is my dad used to get me to sit outside and play with puzzles ....while he was inside having a beer with Sattler, O'Neill and Eric Sims and a few Saints guys

He worked with a couple of Souths champions, dad followed the Saints, but Souths players didn't mind as Souths and Saints players pretty much made up the whole kangaroo team back then.

I remember one of the rabbits players giving me a chocolate, can't remember who it was as I was too young.

He was huge is all I remember!
Well I was just a kid.

Could have been Bob McCarthy or Satts.

Anyway.....Dragon's to win
Rabbits to win too!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal

The reason I have a big soft spot for the rabbits is my dad used to get me to sit outside and play with puzzles ....while he was inside having a beer with Sattler, O'Neill and Eric Sims and a few Saints guys

He worked with a couple of Souths champions, dad followed the Saints, but Souths players didn't mind as saints and Saints players pretty much made up the whole kangaroo team back then.

I remember one of the rabbits players giving me a chocolate, can't remember who it was as I was too young.

Well I was just a kid.

Rabbits to win too!
I feel Seibs has any brain in there he'd realise he should take the early guilty plea!

We need Sammy there to beat you guys! Wow great story mate.

Yeah Dragons if we stupidly fight this charge!

If Sam plays, Souths to just win in front of a fired up diehard Burrow and members!!

ThingFish

Juniors

He worked with a couple of Souths champions, dad followed the Saints, but Souths players didn't mind as Souths and Saints players pretty much made up the whole kangaroo team back then.

Well I was just a kid.

Rabbits to win too!
If you guys could give The Rorters and The Storm a towelling for us over the next two rounds that’ll help us out a bunch:smiley:

Given two fully fit teams RD10 could be the clash of the comp so far. Poms on Poms, big pack on big pack. A beauty in the making.

ouryears

Bench
If you guys could give The Rorters and The Storm a towelling for us over the next two rounds that’ll help us out a bunch:smiley:

Given two fully fit teams RD10 could be the clash of the comp so far. Poms on Poms, big pack on big pack. A beauty in the making.
Thanks mate, I hope we can do our part and beat both of those rorting teams and then have a cracking match set up with the Rabbitohs.

Rabbits20

Immortal
@callmack1 got to win tomorrow!

Currently sitting 8th as of now!

We can drop to 10th if we lose!

If we have back to back losses if you aren't careful it can fall away and make things tricky.

The way things have been for both us Callmack we could really do with a win!

callmack1

Staff member
@callmack1 got to win tomorrow!

Currently sitting 8th as of now!

We can drop to 10th if we lose!

If we have back to back losses if you aren't careful it can fall away and make things tricky.

The way things have been for both us Callmack we could really do with a win!
Sure could mate, it crucial to get the win tonight. Not gonna be easy as the Knights deserve their place on the ladder.

Rabbits20

Immortal
It's such a tight comp but teams 5-9 on the ladder all play teams outside the 8 next week. These teams besides the Sharks are only one win behind us!

Rabbits20

Immortal
@callmack1 here is how tight it is in the top 7 teams.

We have to keep winning bro:

Can't get complacent as between rounds 21-25 our draw gets very challenging!

May be slightly in the wrong order but these are the games:

Roosters (H)
Storm (H)
Brisbane (A)
Canberra (A)
Tigers (H)

We are 10 and 4. You'd think 16 and 8 could end up being enough to sneak into 4th spot. Who knows though as currently all the top 6-7 sides are beating those be,owe them!

We just need to make the top 4 bro come end of Round 25 with our key players fit and then we get a double bite at the cherry!!

Every week is a challenge in this comp. That's for sure!
https://www.nrl.com/ladder/