What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gerard Sutton

phonetic

Juniors
The thing is though, whether you think it's a knock on or not, that's always ruled a knock on. So what the referee boss is actually saying is that they finally got one right.

That's pretty much my take on it. He's knocked it backwards, but it's not ruled as such in most occasions. Hence the disquiet.

I've watched the replay many times trying to tell myself it goes forward... But it clearly goes back. Clearly!

All things considered, I agree it's a tough call on the dogs. It's inconsistent with how it's ruled week in and week out. No point dwelling though. There's plenty of areas within the coaching staff's control I'd dwell on first! What an awful team to watch.

thorson1987

Coach
The knock on was a 50/50 call I can live with.

The final penalty was shithouse but still correct. Boyd took a dive but Mbye was dumb.

No problem with Brisbane winning, they weren't good enough.

However, Sutton's refereeing in general has been sub-standard and the way he treated Klemmer (including that ridiculous penalty) leaves a lot to be desired. And I'm not sure what the benefit is of him refereeing with his brother as assistant when their other brother is the refs boss? Split them up ffs

Yeah both calls correct imo.

But that penalty against Morris that led to the Klemmer incident was bullshit.

no name

Coach
For all those saying it was a knock back, where would the ball have landed if Isaako didn’t touch it?
His touch propelled it forward of where it would have landed if he didn’t touch it.
It’s a knock on.

The Mbye penalty was right, he didn’t even need to touch him, ball was covered.
Morris off the ball is a penalty 1 out of 20 which is frustrating as a viewer.

For all those saying it was a knock back, where would the ball have landed if Isaako didn’t touch it?
His touch propelled it forward of where it would have landed if he didn’t touch it.
It’s a knock on.
source.gif

TheVelourFog

First Grade
It’s a knock on.

yeah that can't be the measure

90% of the time someone touches a kick they interrupt its flight and it will land in front of where it was going to land

no name

Coach
It doesn’t matter if it’s right or wrong anyway, two Sutton brothers were refs and their brother is their boss.
Bernie will save his brothers’ blushes.

Canard

Immortal
It’s a knock on.

Wow

Ignorance is bliss. It is the inverse of the fwd pass debate and you seem too dumb to engage. Yeah nah....
This debate is too “dumb” for words. If you think a knock on is determined by where a ball might hypothetically land instead of the direction it actually travels off the player you must be the mayor of bliss town.

camel-toe

Juniors
It’s a knock on.
Based on that argument, if a player was standing 10m in front of a player kicking a low kick that would otherwise go thirty meters off the boot. And the player got his finger tips to the ball as it went past him, thus the ball only travelled 25m off the boot. The ball would thus land 15m behind the player who touched it, but according to you he would have "propelled" the ball forward 5m?

Griffoshark66

First Grade
If the ball is heading North, it needs to travel South to be a knock on. It doesn't matter if it doesn't travel as far North as it might have because it has been touched. It is still travelling in the same direction. This thread almost makes me feel sorry for the refs.

carcharias

Immortal
Put it this way
If he’d dropped it like that over the try line and picked it up and scored, what do think the ref and bunker would’ve decided?